TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #11
larroni

Thanks again to everyone of you who replied to my questions. Some of Al-n-Sue's answers made me laugh but most sent up red flags. I am going to try and cancel our bid in ebay and get out of this mess. I would like to know the things to look for now when checking out older TM's for sale, is there a check list on this website that tells us novices what to check for before purchasing a used TM? Do most trailer hitch installers carry the WDH? Thanks again for all the information, really has been a big help. RJ
Old 06-28-2009, 08:25 PM   #12
4Kids2Dogs

When we were looking at an older TM, the nice folks here answered our questions on this thread: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ght=inspecting

Hope it helps you as much as it helped us! Good Luck!
1995 Ford F-150 w/Prodigy BC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
4Kids2Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:50 AM   #13
larroni

Thank you again to all who replied to my questions. I am trying to get our bid retracted but seems I might have some problems doing that unless the seller will agree to cancel my bid. Will contact him this morning and see what he has to say. If we can get out of this mess then next time we see a TM for sale in our price range we will eductate ourselves on what to look for and be sure we see the TM in person before purchashing. Happy camping to all. RJ
Old 06-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #14
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Just to throw another ingredient into the mix ...

Regarding a trailer title, harveyrv posted
Quote:
He [the seller] says that no title is required in SC but I doubt that is true.
And that certainly sounds reasonable. But several years ago, I found that Maine does not require a title for a camper-trailer under 3000 pounds net weight. The term "net weight" is not defined, but I imagine that the folks at the registry will use the dry weight specified on TM's web site. By this measure, TMs up through and including the 3023 are under 3000 pounds.
Reference: http://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/registration/pstlcfrd.htm

Although Maine does not require a title, an owner can get one by asking for it and paying the standard fee. First, though, you have to get through the helpful folks at the Registry who don't want to do it because "you don't need a title".

In looking this up, I ran across a web site called dmv.org that tries to summarize motor vehicle laws in all 50 states. On the question of title, enter the following URL, substituting yoiur state name for "maine".
http://search.dmv.org/dmv/maine/trailer-title

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:16 AM   #15
rumbleweed

Based on your TV and the model TM and the trip you have planned, I would highly discourage you doing this with either this unit or even a similar newer unit. I am not trying to spoil your excitement, but I do not believe you will enjoy the trip with this combination.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:56 AM   #16
larroni

Smile Thank You Seasoned TrailManor Owners

Hi to All: We can't thank each and every one of you enough for all the information you have given us. Not sure if you even care to read what I am about to type next so stop reading if you have already said "Ughhhhhh! What an idiot!" haha My DH and I had a very long, very nice conversation with the fellow who posted the ebay auction. No, David is not the owner but the owner is his neighbor and a very good friend. He said we would be meeting the owner if we win and come to pick up the TM. The owner is in his 70's and didn't want to bother signing up for ebay so reason he asked David to help, David has sold over 1600 items on ebay, one of which was an airplane, and has 100% feedback. But the most important information we got today is that David and the owner had already made an appt to get a title for the TM this morning, someone else he knows told him yesterday that SC law now requires a title. He said once he has the title he will put in the ebay listing that a title is now available, so we will see. And David told us that he and the owner took the TM camping for two days a couple weeks ago to test everything, it hadn't been used for awhile because owner and his wife are in their 70's and do not like camping anymore, David said everything worked good. And David told us that he would be more than happy to cancel our bid in ebay if that's what we decide to do or we could come check the TM out and if we don't like it we don't have to pay for it. Will get this printed in an email of course, not going to show up with verbal promise only. We are headed to the area where TM is located in a few weeks anyway so not going to be a wasted trip even if we don't get it. We may be making the biggest mistake of our lives by staying with our bid but David seemed to be trying to work with us and again, he will cancel our bid if we chicken out before Wednesday and we don't have to pay for it if we don't like it when we go to pick it up. Now just have to figure out the towing issues. The owner's manual with our T&C says we can pull it, so will have to get a set of the bars David was telling us about to attach to our hitch for better weight distribution. He use to pull race cars all over the country so he knows exactly what everyone was talking about on this forum about WDH and did recommend we get them. So glad I found this website and I will definetly be checking back in the TrailManor Owner's Forum in the future for help one way or another because someday we want to be part of the TM family. Happy Camping to all. Rj
Old 06-29-2009, 12:19 PM   #17
SCBillandJane

I am not sure about the statement that you don't need a title in SC. You don't need a license tag for a small yard trailer or boat trailer (although you pay taxes on the boat and motor ), but you do need a tag for a camper trailer. We needed a title and a bill of sale to get a license tag for our TM last year in SC. We pay taxes on the camper like we do on a car. How can you even move it in SC or to Fla. which also requires a license tag without a tag? If ebay doesn't understand that you can't move it legally then I wouldn't worry about being on their bad list.
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:44 PM   #18
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Larroni,

What do you mean by, "The owner's manual with our T&C says we can pull it"??????

If you are going by the "Towing capacity" of the vehicle, you are missing the whole point of my previous post.

The Max tow rating tells you what the maximum weight that the vehicle can safely tow with no cargo and no passengers.

The other issue is that the weight you are being quoted (3000#) is NOT what the trailer currently weighs. You would do well to stop at a weigh station on your way home with the trailer. Like I mentioned before, my '98 2720 weighs over 4000# (on the scales) and the trailer you are looking at is a much larger trailer.

You can probably get away with towing that trailer home over flatlands but you were originally asking advice about a much more radical trip that involved some pretty extreme mountain driving. IMO....that T&C is not up to the task and you would be putting your family and others in danger. Not to mention the fact that the vehicle itself would probably not survive that trip.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:51 PM   #19
PopBeavers

FWIW, when I weighed my 2005 TM 2720 it was 3380 pounds on the TM axle. I did not weigh the tongue. I estimate that the total weight of my loaded ready for camping TM is 4,100 pounds.

Most people carry about 1,000 pounds of stuff.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #20
rumbleweed

I will again second the other towing comments. My 2720SL ( smaller model than one you are considering) is over 4000 lbs with just the basic options AC, battery,propane, awning and some kitchen wares, Add in 300 Lbs conservative for two passengers, 100 lbs for auto fuel, 200 lbs for personal items, 100lbs for basic trailer needs ( tools, jack, lug wrench) 100 lbs for food and drinks.

With a CGVW of 8600 lbs a TV weight of 4331lbs and a trailer weight of 4000lbs ( for the smaller 2720) you have less than 300 lbs left for all the stuff above. Assuming you use this up with two very small passengers, you can't safely take food, clothing, or any basic supplies.

I think everyone on this forum would love to have you as a new TM owner, but not at the risk of your safety and enjoyment. You WILL NOT be happy with this set up.

FYI look at my equipment below. TV capacity is >9600 lbs and there still been a few times when it was uncomfortable.