TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2008, 09:07 AM   #1
jasongold

Default Year-over-year changes?

Hi,

My wife and I are shopping around for a used TM 2619 - preferably one made after 2001 (we've been told that was the year the whole body went aluminum).

Does anyone have a list of year-over-year changes that have been made since 2001? The essential TT seems the same, but outside lights, bumper etc. must have evolved a little, no?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hoping to be a TM soon,

Jason
Old 08-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I'm not sure which change you refer to in 2001 when the "whole body went aluminum", but it is my understanding that several wood frame members in the shell were switched in aluminum or steel in 2003/2004. I believe that was also around the time they started mounting the AC on the roof, although that may have happened in 2002. There still is wood in TM's today as I understand it, just not as much, and none on the edge of the shells.

At some point in the last few years, they started installing a higher quality 3-stage charger/converter, but I don't know when specifically. Someone here will, as I know that info has been posted here before (and thus accessible through the SEARCH function).

But all this is probably somewhat irrelevant because used TM's come on the market so infrequently that you likely will not have a choice as to which year you buy.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:31 AM   #3
Al-n-Sue

Looking at a friend's new 2720 yesterday, I noticed that the stirrups on the support bars (that you put your foot in to lock down the torsion bar support) are larger than mine - maybe by 3/4 to an inch deeper. Don't know if that was a 2007 or 2008 change, but it was pretty recent, since another friend's 2006 has the same size stirrup as mine.

I think the most "major" changes happened around 2003. If I were looking for a used TM, I'd opt for a post-2003 model, since those changes were significant improvements. And '03 models can vary as I think some changes were made during the year. My 2003 has a standard A/C and square bumper. A friend's 2003 3023 has the low profile A/C and the new "sleek" bumper (with access to the shore power plug when closed).

good luck!
Alan
Old 08-20-2008, 11:51 AM   #4
mtnguy

My 2003 2720 (manufactured in March 03) has the low profile AC, and still has the square bumper.....thank goodness. I know that Trailmanor went to the new bumper because of weight savings, but I still like the square bumper to keep the slinky hose stored.

Chap
Old 08-20-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I don't think you can mount a "stuff" carrier on the new bumper either.

Also around 2003-2004 they changed to wheel wells. They are now rounded inside, presumably plastic, instead of square sheet metal. I'm not sure how well the new wheel wells protect the interior from a blow out. Perhaps someone here with that sort of experience can comment.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #6
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post

Also around 2003-2004 they changed to wheel wells. They are now rounded inside, presumably plastic, instead of square sheet metal. I'm not sure how well the new wheel wells protect the interior from a blow out. Perhaps someone here with that sort of experience can comment.

Dave
Dave, my 2003 has the round wheel wells and I think that changed happened around 2001 or so. Presumeably, blown tire parts won't catch in the corners of the round wheel wells......but you are correct, they are plastic.

It would be neat to make a list of things that have changed over the years, and people respond according to the year that they have. But even the same year had changes.....case in point is Al-N-Sue's standard AC and my low profile AC, both 2003s.

Chap
Old 08-20-2008, 01:23 PM   #7
jasongold

Default Changes

Thanks for all of the replies.

My real concerns would be the wood in the shell and any electronic components. I called the factory and was told that no major changes in structural components have been made since 2000, but the person that I spoke to didn't seem very confident in their answer.

Have there been any major changes since 2004?

Thanks again,

Jason
Old 08-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #8
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
My 2003 2720 (manufactured in March 03) has the low profile AC, and still has the square bumper.....thank goodness. I know that Trailmanor went to the new bumper because of weight savings, but I still like the square bumper to keep the slinky hose stored.

Chap
My 2005 has the newer rear bumper. In it I keep:

shore power cord, with adapters
2 slinkys
coiled hose for rinsing after dumping
toilet wand
gloves for dumping
45 degree sewer elbow with place to attach the rinse hose
90 degree sewer elbow for hookups
jack handle for corner stabilizers

What is it that you have room for that I do not?
Old 08-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #9
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post

Dave
My 2005 has the factory installed welded hitch receiver on the back, rated for 100 pounds. I have never used it, other than to protect the back of the TM when I back it into the garage just a little bit too far.

We have the rounded wheel wells. We had a blow out, curb side, on the 4th. If the radio had been on we would not have heard the pop of the tire. DW was driving and did not feel a thing. Not a massive blow out, most of the tire was still there, so that isn't quite what you were asking.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #10
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
My 2005 has the newer rear bumper. In it I keep:

shore power cord, with adapters
2 slinkys
coiled hose for rinsing after dumping
toilet wand
gloves for dumping
45 degree sewer elbow with place to attach the rinse hose
90 degree sewer elbow for hookups
jack handle for corner stabilizers

What is it that you have room for that I do not?
Wayne, the old style bumper still has an aluminum storage area that holds a plenty. I keep about a dozen misc. leveling blocks in there, my jack handle, and a container of sewer adapters......which I have never needed. I just think that stuffing the slinky hose ( I have 2 in the bumper) into the old style rear bumper is easier and "cleaner" than putting it in the rear storage area.....which leaves me more room for my other goodies. That said, if I even need 1 of those sewer adapters, then I have defeated 1/2 of that previous statement.

The old style storage area is harder to get into than the newer units when the unit is down. If I forget and put the diamond plate above the forward support (instead of under it), then I have to release the back corner hold-down latches before I can remove the diamond plate.

Chap