TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2008, 11:31 PM   #1
ng2951

Default Where to mount Prodigy BC in Tacoma V6 Prerunner.

I am trying to figure out where to mount the brake controller in the Tacoma. If you mount it under the wheel you cannot see the display.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
ragmopp

I ran into the same situation with my Tacoma. Unfortunately, I couldn't come up with anything better than below the dash (to the left). I thought about on top of the dash, but that would be asking people to rip it off, or me to take it off and on each time I needed it. Hooking it up under the dash was, as it turned out, quite simple. The Tacoma with the tow package is prewired so just plug it into the wiring under the dash and screw a couple of bolts to hold it in place. I have found that once I got the unit setup I seldom need to look at it. Not the best arrangement, but not a lot of room to work with on the Tacoma.

Mike Anderson
Old 03-03-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
Scott O

I put mine on the lower left side also. I agree that I seldom look at it and it was very easy to install there. Only problem is that I am tall and sometimes bonk it with my leg getting in and out. It is a very clean installation.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #4
bfezel

I mounted mine below the dash to the right of the steering wheel. Do have a look around the wheel (very slightly) to get a full view of the readout. However, I rarely look at it. RockmtnRay, whom I consider the expert on all things related to Tundras, has his mounted on the left I believe. When all is said and done I believe that it is simply a personal preference.

Bill
Old 03-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
Scott O

The right lower dash on the Tacoma is curved...don't know about the Tundra. As I understand it, the controller unit needs to be mounted perpendicular to the line of travel. This is not possible on the right side of the Tacoma without some serious shimming.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:21 PM   #6
Kentwesley

It shouldn't have to be completely perpendicular. Prodigy allows for certain degree of off-set. I have mine on the right side at an angle. On the right side, you are little less likely to bump into it...or worse tear it off the mount while getting in and out of the truck.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:29 AM   #7
ColdFlame

I mounted my Prodigy controller on the "change door" down and to the left of my steering wheel. I thought this to be the best place for the bracket to be mounted as it was visible, accessible by me, and also easy to connect to the wiring harness that is behind the kick panel right beside it.

Besides, if I ever sell my truck or want to put it back to original, I can either choose to buy a new change door or just ignore the two small screwholes that aren't visible unless you get right down at level with your seat and take a look. No brainer for me.

As an alternate choice, I know people who have custom fabricated a small mounting plate to sit in the cubby hole that is directly in front of the gear shift and then drilled a whole in the back/bottom of it to run the wire through.

I hope that helps! =)
Old 03-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #8
ng2951

I mounted it on the right side and did some serious shimming. I saved the drawer and if I ever sell the truck I just will reinstall the drawer (pops in, pops out).

I did like the left side idea, but I was afraid the BC would be getting rapped a lot.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #9
larsdennert

Mine is mounted on the right side below the ignition switch at a 45 degree angle. I don't like it there but it can be reached to manually activate the brake if need be. It would be a painful knee injury in an accident. The prodigy uses a swinging sensor that calibrates when you turn it on. When you brake, it swings more and senses.