TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-28-2003, 01:27 AM   #1

Default Winter Camping

We plan on doing some cold weather camping in our new TM (2000 - 3124KS). Has anyone experienced any problems with pipes freezing? Does anyone have any tips on how to keep pipes from freezing overnight, etc.?

[email protected]
Old 05-28-2003, 10:35 AM   #2
Happytrails

Default Re: Winter Camping

It would really all depend on the pipes in your TM and how old they are. The new pipes used are of the freezeproof variety, and shouldn't give you too much trouble as long as the inside of the TM stays fairly warm. However, one consideration that has been addressed on this board is the freezing up of the grey water tank, and the mention of a kinda "electric blanket" to be affixed to it to prevent that from happening. Hope this helps!

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails........[/glow]
Old 05-28-2003, 12:44 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

There was a pretty good thread in General Discussion titled "Cold weather camping in the TM" started on Dec 28, 2002.  Scroll back or search - a number of us learned some stuff that might be useful to you now.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 02:33 PM   #4
grkman1

We went to Boston in March where the temperature got as low as 27 degrees.  My wife and I had no problem with our unit except for the water pump freezing temporarily.  In our 2003 model 2619 it is attached to the outside wall of the TM.  We failed to keep the bench cushion off so that the warm air would keep it from freezing.

With a little help from the hair dryer, it was fine in a few minutes.  The only other inconvenience we came across were the flaps.  
Condensation was a problem on them because of the temperature difference.

Good Luck
George
Old 06-30-2003, 04:44 PM   #5
Carol
Site Sponsor

We will be camping in the mountains of Wyoming, and Colorado in September and expect freezing weather.  I have done the cold weather camping search and picked up some good tips. I will definitely take a hair dryer along to thaw valves!

My thought was to add RV anti-freeze to the gray water tank to prevent freezing. Has anyone done this? How much anti-freeze should be added?

I also thought of partially filling the toilet and adding antifreeze - then opening the valve to get antifreeze/water mix in the lower section of the pipe. Then, I'd close the valve under the toilet and charge it, adding my toilet chemicals at that time.

Any comments as to the workability of my proposed method would be appreciated!

Carol is offline   Reply With Quote