TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2005, 08:17 PM   #1
h2p123

Default Ford Windstar to pull a 2619

Anyone have experience towing a Trailmanor 2619 with a Ford Windstar. With a class II or III hitch, they are rated to pull up to 3500 (this assumes only a driver and no cargo I believe). So basically once to add a few more people and cargo you push pretty close to the limit.

Any experiences or comments from experienced "towers" would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Old 02-17-2005, 10:16 PM   #2
h2p123

Found that after the fact. Looks like its not a good idea to run with any of the minivans.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:59 PM   #3
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

I wouldn't pass on getting a TM just because you only have a minivan to tow it with. If you are under GCWR, tow only a few times per year and can stay out of the highest mountains you should be OK. We towed our 2002 TM-2619 for probably 20,000 miles with a 2002 Honda Odyssey and had no problems at all. We had the Honda tow package, a WDH, air bags in the rear coil springs (although not just for towing), a Prodigy brake controller, and a transmission temperature gauge. Plus we observed the usual towing precautions of doubling normal following distances and exercising greater caution in all situations. We did have to remove the 2nd and 3rd row seats in the Odyssey and pack carefully to stay under GCWR but it towed great. We did get tired of such limitation after a couple of years but I would not have hesitated to continue towing with the Odyssey had that been our only option.

Minivans do share the limitations of all front wheel drive vehicles which are: less traction when starting off uphill, a less rigid frame, shorter wheelbase and (comparatively speaking) miniature components such as transmissions because the entire drive line has to fit between the front wheels. The hi-tech 5-sp transmission in our Odyssey was maybe 1/2 the size of many truck transmissions and although it was still going strong when we traded, I wouldn't expect it to have the durability of a larger transmission.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 05:26 PM   #4
Glenn in TN

We pulled a 97 2619 TM with a 97 Dodge Caravan for about 3 years before we bought the Excursion this summer. Ours pulled fine although not as comfortable as the Coleman popup we had before. We used a class 3 hitch and brake controller, but no WDH or sway bar. The Caravan had a 3.3l engine and AOD. I'm not totally sure if we had a trailer towing package, but we never had any problems. The biggest issue we had was towing in some of highways in the Arkansas Ozarks (very steep). The braking never gave us a problem (other than upgrading to semi-metalic disc pads once we wore out the standard pads).

One of the reasons we went with the TM was the fact that we could be more trailer without buying a TV! We might move up to a TT one day, but we are very satisfied with the performance of the TM.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:40 AM   #5
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

Wink

"Move up to a TT" ??????? Not in my mind!!!!
YWORRYDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:22 PM   #6
Glenn in TN

At my age I would love to pull up to a campsite and already be set up! Plus I would like a larger fridge.