TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2015, 02:01 PM   #1
ammoretired

Default Tacoma V6 Pre runner

My wife and I retired in May 2015. I have spent countless hours researching this trailer. Been on numerous web sites with information on towing. What I need, if possible, is for someone who owns a 2007 double cab Tacoma V6 pre runner WITHOUT the tow package to tell me if they tow the 2720 without any problems. If so, is it possible for me to tow anything larger or can I tow any of the trailmanors with my truck? Thanks for any help. We are ready to purchase and explore America.
ammoretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:37 PM   #2
Padgett
TrailManor Master

4000 lbs and a 4 liter DOHC V6 sounds adequate ecept the HP is somewhat low for VVT. Do you have the manual transmission or an automatic ?

Curt has a Class III hitch (5,000 lbs) #13323 but may be harder to find wiring to a 7-way Bargman with a brake controller.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:48 PM   #3
ammoretired

I have an automatic transmission
ammoretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:49 PM   #4
davlin
TrailManor Master

I'm unqualified to answer your question, because I do not own the TV in question, but here's some general thoughts for any TV:

If your TV has an automatic transmission, it needs to have an auxiliary transmission cooler. This is always part of the manufacturer's "tow package," and sometimes comes on the vehicle even if it doesn't have the tow package. This is NOT the "regular" transmission cooler which is incorporated into the vehicle's radiator, but a separate radiator, usually visible in front of the engine radiator.

Obviously, you will need a 7-pin wiring connector, a Class III or better hitch, and a brake controller.

You need to know what the manufacturer rates your tow capacity at, and as importantly, you need to know what the rated capacity of your hitch is, paying special attention to the tongue weight capacity of the hitch.

And THEN you will need to know what the weight of the trailer is you will be towing. If you haven't been in the RV travel trailer world very much, just know this. Never. Never. Never. use the "dry" weight of a trailer as any kind of guide to anything. As an example, I pull a 3124KS. Trailmanor says it's dry weight, plus "load capacity" is around 4,500 pounds. Those that have them and have weighed them loaded would put that closer to 5,000. And the tongue weight of that trailer is really 600 lbs. (NOT 490), which is over the capacity of my hitch without weight distribution. This phenomena is not unique to TrailManor, to my knowledge most travel trailers tend tow heavier than advertised.

By becoming a member of this forum, you have access to a lot of information specific to your concerns: how much does a 2720 REALLY weigh, and who's pulling what with a Prerunner.

Good luck on your search!

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:02 PM   #5
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Might look here.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:54 PM   #6
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Same engine, same Tranny

My 4R (also GEN-4) is mechanically similar, and (like your double-cab) sacrifices some load capacity in comparison to the pickup truck. We didn't buy a "towing package", but simply added components afterwards. It's a great match for 2619, or 2720, although maybe not as good a match for larger TM trailers.