TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Motorized tow dolly at Sportsmansguide

MisterP just updated his list of links to parts suppliers and sources (thanks, Paul) in this thread

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=14118

I noticed that the last item in the new list is a link to a powered tow dolly,

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=1182628

for an exceptionally low price. Has anyone had experience with it? It looks kinda light weight, but on the other hand, for just moving the TM around on a hard flat driveway or garage floor, it might be all that is needed.

The associated question is whether is could be used with the existing tongue jack, making it removable. A permanent mount as shown in the ad doesn't look like a good idea to me.

Thoughts?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #2
MisterP

The response has been underwhelming.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
ThePair
TrailManor Master

I wrote a post and it got deleted before I could send it.

After reviewing the video, I don't thing the motorized wheel comes off, or is designed to come off the post. I don't see a screw or pin holding it on, and the "transport" position has the motor/wheel pointing out from the tongue. If there were a removable option, you'd think they'd have you take it off for transport. So I conclude that it is probably exactly what you see.

It may be ok for flat, smooth surfaces, but for any kind of incline, I would fear that the single wheel would start to slip. My powered dolly has 4 wheels to combat the slip on slopes. Plus, on an SL model with a swing-away tongue, I'm not sure there's sufficient tongue real estate to attach this. I know this is why you wanted to see if it could just replace the wheel on the bottom of the existing jack, and if it could that would be an interesting solution. I'm just not at all certain it can,and without asking the manufacturer (who I couldn't figure out, outside of the company selling it) there's no way to know for sure.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I had the same feeling both of you did - maybe not such a hot unit. But you gotta admit, the price is great, and for easy tasks (flat garage floor, no incline), it might do the job.

It appears that the outfit has a retail store (ONE retail store) in South St Paul, Minnesota. Anyone live in that area, who might be willing to go take a look?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
national757

Default Park It Tow Dolly

For those that are looking for a motorized tow dolly for their TM, the Park It 360 is a great unit. Small, lightweight, portable, powerful and built like a tank. Wired directly to my TM with their supplied harness, it uses the house batteries on the trailer for power. Will move my TM anywhere on my uneven driveway, the only drawback is the price, and is a little noisy when operating. They are made in Canada, but it only took me around a week to get it delivered to me in San Diego. I bought the P360L with the harness and brake controller as options, it will move a rig that weighs over 9000, a little overkill with my 3023, well worth the $$, saves a lot of hassles maneuvering the TM.

National 757
Rob
national757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #6
moneeleann

Rob, do you pull it on any inclines? I have been looking at these, looking for something I can pull it up the driveway with. I have a medium steep incline at the base of the driveway that prevents me from getting it into the driveway. I tow with a minivan, so taking off the equalizer bars isn't an option (the van would sag so much it would still drag).

I was considering the power mover ac5 or ac6. I had checked out the parkit360, but read some reviews where it didn't do well on inclines. Would love a first hand perspective!
Old 01-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #7
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneeleann View Post
Rob, do you pull it on any inclines? I have been looking at these, looking for something I can pull it up the driveway with. I have a medium steep incline at the base of the driveway that prevents me from getting it into the driveway. I tow with a minivan, so taking off the equalizer bars isn't an option (the van would sag so much it would still drag).

I was considering the power mover ac5 or ac6. I had checked out the parkit360, but read some reviews where it didn't do well on inclines. Would love a first hand perspective!
I have an incline and a turn on my drive, I have a PowerMover. 4 wheels, upgraded motor. It's a custom job. Great company to work with, the owner spent a lot of time talking to me trying to figure out what I needed. I'd recommend him again in a heartbeat.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:10 AM   #8
Jeff the marmot

Has anyone seen a cheap version of that with basically just a handle and a few wheels (non_motorized), such as something that could literally be pinned in place of the existing TM tongue jack's wheel but with a handle to easily steer it? I don't want to spend almost a thousand dollars on one of the fancy motorized ones. And I'm only looking to fine tune the position of my 2720 in my concrete floor garage and jockey back and forth a few times to move it to the side a bit.

Jeff
Jeff the marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:52 AM   #9
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff the marmot View Post
Has anyone seen a cheap version of that with basically just a handle and a few wheels (non_motorized), such as something that could literally be pinned in place of the existing TM tongue jack's wheel but with a handle to easily steer it? I don't want to spend almost a thousand dollars on one of the fancy motorized ones. And I'm only looking to fine tune the position of my 2720 in my concrete floor garage and jockey back and forth a few times to move it to the side a bit.

Jeff
Harbor freight sells one for ~$60 or so. Two wheels, non-motorized, has a hitch ball that you just drop the TM onto. It works, takes some muscle. Need to pump up the tires every time you use it. Would only consider it for your purpose: fine-tuning position on a flat, smooth surface. You'll need to supply your own muscle for moving anything, but it will do what you want.

There's a crank model (trailer valet?) that is in the middle: i.e. the crank will supply the motive muscle, you just need to turn the crank. Costs more than $60, but will be less effort. Something to consider as an option, perhaps.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:19 AM   #10
rumbleweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePair View Post
I have an incline and a turn on my drive, I have a PowerMover. 4 wheels, upgraded motor. It's a custom job. Great company to work with, the owner spent a lot of time talking to me trying to figure out what I needed. I'd recommend him again in a heartbeat.
I tried several options, including the non motorized version but ended up with a powermover AC6. I spoke to them several times and they were happy to answer all my questions. It is worth every penny. I can position my TM within 2" of my garage on a CR-6 pad with a slight incline with one hand. They are not inexpensive, but certainly less than the cost of back surgery or a run away TM. I also modified the wiring in the PM's trailer plug to allow me to use the TM battery for the brake rather than adding an external battery.