TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
TrailGuy77

Question Anyone tow a TM 3023 with a 3500 LB TV

Hi All,

As some of you may have noticed,I have put my 2010 3023 on the market.Anyway,I am curious to see if anyone here tows a 3023 with a 3500 LB tow rated vehicle? If so,do you feel safe? Do you tow only on flat land or do you tow at high altitudes too? Have you had any problems with your tow vehicle? Do you have to be careful not to bring too much stuff?

The reason I am curious is because I have told two potential buyers that I felt their tow vehicles would be insufficient (possibly unsafe) to tow my 3023.One had a small Jeep and the other a Honda Odyssey.One said they would be towing at high altitudes and the other did not say.My 2005 Tundra does great with a 7000 LB tow rating but I don't think I would tow the 3023 with anything under a 5000 LB tow rating and a good size V6 engine.

Both said they heard their tow vehicles were capable but appreciated my feedback as SAFETY comes first IMHO.My opinion may have cost me a sale but I would feel terrible if I were to sell to them and later find out something went terribly wrong.

Anyway,is my opinion right?Should I be telling a potential buyer different?

Your feedback will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks So Much!
Old 06-07-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
Bluegrass

You gave them sound advice. As soon as they load their family in the TV, they're probably overweight. At least the mini-van has a long wheel base. The Jeep would be nuts. All IMHO, of course.

Keith
Old 06-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Gotta agree with Keith. I own a small Jeep (a two-door 4WD Wrangler for bopping around the AZ desert). Although it has a Class III hitch receiver, and is factory-rated to tow a 2000-pound trailer, it doesn't have any other options aimed at trailer towing. As built, then, it is in my opinion totally inadequate to tow anything more than about a 1000-pound utility trailer. I have used it move our 2720 around the street and driveway for parking, and it struggles. But even if it had a tow package, the short wheelbase (93 inches) would scare me to death, with any TM behind.

I think you did well.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
TrailGuy77

Thanks Bill and Keith for your responses!

I am going to wait for a buyer who has the proper tow vehicle.I would still love to know if anyone on this forum tows a 3023 with a 3500 LB rated tow vehicle.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailGuy77 View Post
Hi All,

As some of you may have noticed,I have put my 2010 3023 on the market.Anyway,I am curious to see if anyone here tows a 3023 with a 3500 LB tow rated vehicle? If so,do you feel safe? Do you tow only on flat land or do you tow at high altitudes too? Have you had any problems with your tow vehicle? Do you have to be careful not to bring too much stuff?

The reason I am curious is because I have told two potential buyers that I felt their tow vehicles would be insufficient (possibly unsafe) to tow my 3023.One had a small Jeep and the other a Honda Odyssey.One said they would be towing at high altitudes and the other did not say.My 2005 Tundra does great with a 7000 LB tow rating but I don't think I would tow the 3023 with anything under a 5000 LB tow rating and a good size V6 engine.

Both said they heard their tow vehicles were capable but appreciated my feedback as SAFETY comes first IMHO.My opinion may have cost me a sale but I would feel terrible if I were to sell to them and later find out something went terribly wrong.

Anyway,is my opinion right?Should I be telling a potential buyer different?

Your feedback will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks So Much!
I'm thinking there's a good reason the Jeep Wrangler is only rated for 2000#, but Lots of people in this forum tow with the Honda Odyessy, though I'm sure that most of them (just like most of the rest of us) don't spend a lot of time at high altitudes. They are the experts on Odyessys though, not me.

For me it would come down to how much towing I was going to do and where I was going to do it. Based on what I have read here, if I owned an Odyessy, I would probably tow the TM with it. I might want a bigger tow vehicle if I lived in Colorado Springs.

My Toyota Highlander does fine with the 3023. Here's my scale numbers:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10652

People with lighter tow vehicles simply need to travel lighter. And, all of us should drive a little slower when towing, but especially those working closer to the edge of the envelope.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:23 PM   #6
Torfgar

Good advice, all.

I purchased my 2007 3023 last year from a couple in the Midwest that used a Honda Odyssey. They said their Odyssey did great with the 3023 - even on a trip through Yellowstone. I tow (V-6, 4WD, 5000# rating) the 3023 comfortably at altitude in Colorado, but would not want to use a 3500# rated TV where I live and play.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
moaboy

My Odyssey does a great job, but I have a 2720. I think it could handle the larger model in many situations, EXCEPT if you put it in situations where you have high altitude, heavy loads and hilly terain. However, it would probably handle any of these situations well individually.
As I've said before even with a heavily loaded TM and 4 adults, generator and extra freezer/fridge my Ody did fine in hilly (Maine) terain.
Always better to error on the side of caution, but I can tell you from experience my older Odyssey handles 3500# well.
Good luck.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:55 PM   #8
marshel308

Which model Jeep is in question? A Jeep liberty with the tow package actually has a 5000 lb tow rating, and Jeep's ratings are independent of cargo in the TV as long as GCWR (10,0000 lbs for a Liberty) is not exceeced. Libertys do have a fairly short wheel base, 110", but there have been several people here who tow with them, although most have 2720 models.
marshel308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #9
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

According to the TM brochure, there's only 50# difference between the 2720SL and the 3023. The 3124KB is just 100# more than the 3023. I'm sure they tow quite a lot alike.

The V6s we're talking about have a nice broad power curve (torque). Here's an example: http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/69-8611_dyno.pdf There is no reason to fear having sufficient power to travel the Interstates. There may be reason to be concerned about durability if your camping routinely involves crossing the Continental Divide in Colorado (but we haven't had many reports of problems there, either).

A full sized pickup is a great tow vehicle. But lots of us are doing pretty well with something smaller.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #10
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

I tow with a Liberty myself and it tows like a dream but I would not tow anything bigger than a 2720.

TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6200 lbs tow capacity, 620 lbs tong weight, V6-3.6 liter gas with factory tow package, Prodigie3 Brake Control, Anderson "No-Sway" Weight Distributing Hitch.

TM 2720, 2011, A/C, Awning, Swingtongue, 40 Gal fresh water, Stove and Sink Cupboards, Radio/CD Player, TV ant., Microwave Oven, Electric Tongue Jack, Black Windows and Frame, and Woodgrain Vinyl Flooring
Kwantau is offline   Reply With Quote