TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
2619w?swingaway

Default sway control

We are buying our first TM. It is a 2004 2619 w/a swing away. I currently tow a pop up and it is the largest one made in the Rockwood series. I use a sway control. Will i need it on the 04 model and if so can i mount the plate on the swing part of the hitch? My dominant tow vehicle is a 06 Silverado. On occasion, i will tow it with an 02 Trailblazer.
In addition, i will pick this unit up this weekend and would like some insight onto what to really focus on when i am looking the unit over. The whell bearings are being 'packed' today and i can only assume that the brakes are in good order. Need some insight, h2o heater, a/c, refrigerator, seals etc.. Any and all help would be appreciated.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
PopBeavers

You might consider using sway control with a short wheelbase vehicle, whatever the definition of short is.

Because the TM is light weight, this allows for the axle to be placed further back than would be normal, contributing to stability (no wanting to sway).

I was advised that when towing my 2720 with my Chevy 1500HD that I would not need WDH or sway.

Some owners use a WDH with no sway because otherwise the rear sags too much. I have measured my sag at about 3/4 inch in the rear. I did not measure the rise in the front.

Others will have more details, or correct me.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I tow my 2720 with an '06 Silverado 1500, extra cab & 8' bed...157" WB..... Absolutely no sway issues (even in strong cross-winds).

I choose not to use a WDH because of the weight that is added to the trailer axle. That's a personal choice......if I had 15" tires, I would use a WDH.. However, I did install air bags because I have a 200# camper shell and carry a lot of gear & firewood in the truck.

Before you purchase, be sure to check out every appliance (A/C, stove, inverter, furnace, water heater, fridge (on gas & both elect systems) and so on. Look for water stains on the walls and around the A/C unit (indication of leaks). Check the date code on all 3 tires. If they are over 4-years-old, consider changing them. Check the battery(s) and date, consider changing if over 3-years-old.

I think that TM has an excellent system for mounting the A/C unit on a riser. That keeps water from pooling around the A/C unit. I doubt the seal is an issue. If it does leak, it's a 1-hour job to change the seal.........minor issue........not to be concerned about.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

TrailManor says sway control is not necessary. Here is a quote from their FAQ.

Quote:
Q: Why don't you put tandem axles on all TrailManors?

A: TrailManor uses computer design to locate the axle position so that trailer sway is avoided. The axles are placed farther back to eliminate any tendency for the trailer to sway. In fact, many TrailManor owners say their trailers tow even better than their tent campers did.

Because of the proper placement of the axle, sway control devices are not required when towing a TrailManor. Tandem axles are needed only on the largest model for extra load capacity. On the smaller models, the tandem axles would only add weight and use up storage space, so they aren't necessary.
Here is a link to a very good checklist. Read through it and you can probably come up with a list of items you can check before taking ownership.

HTH, Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:21 AM   #5
2619w?swingaway

Thank you all very much. I will take the mounting plate off of the pop up today but i will not install it on the TM. The only reason i will take it off is because of a friend that is going to buy a pu soon and this will be one thing he will not need to purchase.