TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2008, 06:37 PM   #11
larsdennert

Not to echo others too much but our 2720 has storage next to the furnace under the dinette. We put heavy blankets and pillows there. No space on the TM is wasted without a useful purpose. The space under the Queen/King is great!! I'm really glad I got the 2720 over the 2619. It's no more to tow and has a bigger bed with the storage. I keep three chairs on the lower shelf with space to spare. I've stuffed a large 4 person tent on the upper shelf (for my sister in law to use on a trip) It's really deep and there's more space I don't use. On the outside compartment I keep a BBQ, propane bottles, a bucket, fresh water hose and fire wood. There's space left over... I installed a battery stick light in there as there's no light.

The electric hitch says 2500lbs capacity I think. Sounds optimistic but it lifts the tongue no problemo. I don't use my swing hitch or a wdh. The swing hitch is a nuissance for me. Adds weight and sometimes provides a poor ground loop for the jack. Keep that in mind if your jack magically stops and the fuse is still good. Just jiggle the tongue.

I prefer the propane oven instead of a micro because I dry camp a lot. I'd have to run the generator all the time. Target, WalMart, Sears all have cheap micro's for $100 I could mount in the lower cabinet should I get the urge.

Yea the hanging cabinets are for light stuff and I strap them to the floor in transit. The wardrobe is used for hanging and stacking stuff. Works better than I thought it would but I ran some longer thicker screws into the track. If I stacked more I'd put in shelves with tupperware. The slide out drawers/dresser have weak hardware and I've had to run heavier screws through them. The previous owner was hard on them too.

The AC cooled our TM to any temp we wanted during a trip to UT and it was 110F outside. I couldn't have slept at night when it was only 95F outside without it.

The space is great though we've started to take all sorts of ridiculous things to fill it. I'm used to 10 day trips to Baja with just what would fit in the back of the 4Runner. Now we take the whole house. Granted we have two little ones now too.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #12
NYJeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
I didn't realize the M/W was a combo unit (which makes it a no brainer in my mind!).
One thing to keep in mind, obviously, if you're boon-docking the Micro/convection oven isn't much good. (Unless you have a pretty big generator.) We like having the gas oven, and we take along a microwave oven, but it's nice to be able to use the oven when we don't have shore power.
Good thing to keep in mind Freedom, although in 10 years of camping, we've never gone w/o electric......

Maybe one day.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:59 PM   #13
NYJeff

Thanks larsdennert. Sounds like TM really does a good job at utilizing storage. We looked at a 2720SL three years ago but really weren't in the market at that time so we didn't look in all the nooks & crannys.

If we go with a 3023, I have to get the swing hitch to fit my garage. Wouldn't need it on shorter units. Sounds like the power tongue jack is sufficient.

I'm glad to read from you & others that the A/C does the job. I'm just miserable if it's hot & I'm trying to sleep. I can deal with the noise no problem (becomes background or white noise to me) but I have to have it relatively cool & dry.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my post.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:15 AM   #14
jcjim4

NYJEFF, Your #(7) question "concern with lifting the cabinets due to your back issues" in my opinion should not be an issue. However, I am concerned about how you intend to open and close the TM if you have back problems. In a strong wind, it can be pretty difficult to close.
I have minor back problems, and have been known to move the TM in a direction to enable closing "with" the wind. You will enjoy the TM!
Old 01-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #15
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
One thing to keep in mind, obviously, if you're boon-docking the Micro/convection oven isn't much good. (Unless you have a pretty big generator.) We like having the gas oven, and we take along a microwave oven, but it's nice to be able to use the oven when we don't have shore power.
Ditto on this for us, also. The gas oven is always available, whether hooked-up or boondocking. Unless you are a gourmet micro-wave chef that will always be camping with hookups, then the gas oven seems the way to go.

You can always take a small microwave along with you if you ever need it, but it would difficult to take a gas oven along if that is the best heating device for the situation.

It is great to wake up to fresh baked biscuits and perculated coffee on a cold morning while boondocking back in the mountains somewhere where you can't even see another camper.

And, if the main thing the microwave is used for is popping pop corn, they still make Jiffy Pop.

Chap
Old 01-08-2008, 05:53 PM   #16
NYJeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjim4 View Post
NYJEFF, Your #(7) question "concern with lifting the cabinets due to your back issues" in my opinion should not be an issue. However, I am concerned about how you intend to open and close the TM if you have back problems. In a strong wind, it can be pretty difficult to close. I have minor back problems, and have been known to move the TM in a direction to enable closing "with" the wind. You will enjoy the TM!
It's my understanding that if the lift system torsion springs (if that's what they are called) are adjusted properly, it doesn't take too much effort to open the shells (assuming the TM is parked level). Between that & my wife's help, I'm assuming we won't have problems opening. But we do want to visit a dealer to see how hard it is to open/close. Thanks for the post jcjim4.

Anyone else have difficulty opening/closing their TM?
Old 01-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #17
NYJeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Ditto on this for us, also. The gas oven is always available, whether hooked-up or boondocking. Unless you are a gourmet micro-wave chef that will always be camping with hookups, then the gas oven seems the way to go.

You can always take a small microwave along with you if you ever need it, but it would difficult to take a gas oven along if that is the best heating device for the situation.[SNIP]

Chap
You've described us to a "T", except for the gourmet part! When we camp, we grill. If the weather is bad, we m/w or restaraunt. And we've never boondocked. We might someday, just as we might use an oven if we had it but I'd rather have the built-in m/w (we take a countertop model along with us now & it's a bit of a pain in the rump). Thanks for the post Chap.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #18
larsdennert

I have to say I've played with the adjustments on my shells a bit. The outside shell closes easily but is somewhat heavy to open. I guess I could crank the bars some more but I'm running out of distance. The rear shell is both tough to open and tough to close. I have to put my weight into it to overcome the friction between the shells. I don't think my wife could do it. When I got it (used) the inside shell could barely be latched with all my skinny weight until I took some of the tension out of the front bars. It's better now but not ideal IMO. I don't really have any conclusive adjustment instructions in any case. I think the inside shell is cockeyed and rubs the outside shell on one side.

At the Dealer they slide so easily....
Old 01-08-2008, 07:14 PM   #19
P and B

Jeff- I've got the combo MW/Oven in my 3124. We just bought ours so it's not super tested but my wife likes to give things a run. We've concluded that it has plenty of power and does a nice job generally. I was wowed when it perfectly baked a very large potato in about 20 min. My oven at home takes 45.

So much for how it works. Here's that bad part. It's heavy and the way TM has it mounted is totally inadequate. On our maiden voyage, the thing jumped out of the compartment and broke off the shelf's front brace and took the shelf and mount system with it. I have since modified the shelf and the mounting mechanism myself to prevent this from happening but it was on my nickel. While the TM dealer awarded me great praise for great engineering, I never heard a "sorry" from the TM boys- even though the dealer said they sent them pictures of my repair. Perhaps they've fixed it at the factory by now. Just thought you should know. BTW, I don't think I'm the only one this has happened to.

I think everyone else answered your other questions very well.

Phil
Old 01-08-2008, 07:31 PM   #20
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

You can always use a dutch oven dry camping.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote