TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2015, 08:34 AM   #61
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

We pull with a minivan and midsize suv. Both of them don't have much room behind the axle to put things, because the axle sits so far back. We have a 600 WDH with the 2720 and if anything the WDH is on the too strong side.

I wonder if it is a one-for-one with the weight that is added in the rear of the TV for the WDH. We know we have a lever between the axle and ball? If we know over the axle and forward we treat added weight as zero, and the tongue weight on the ball we treat pound-for-pound. How do you tread something that is half way between 0 and 1 on the lever? I would think it should be a 1/2? So I think it depends where the weight is on the lever? With my minivan, I have about 3.5 feet from the axle to the ball. About 1.5 feet is from the inside of the rear door to the ball, leaving 24 inches or less on the front side of the lever. We don't carry much weight there since we push everything forward up to rear of the middle seat.

I never was concern with that weight behind the rear axle of the TV with my other WDH. It was to small of a percentage to the tongue weight of the TT's to be concerned with factoring in. But with these light weight trailers, I could see where it would need to be factored in. If you are pulling with pick up or full size SUV you could really load down that area. Or if you have too strong of a WDH you may want to load the rear of the TV to give you a better ride?

I think the bottom line with WDH's on these light weight trailers with midsize TV's. It is more difficult to figure out than full size TV's and heavy trailers that the WDH has a larger operational window.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote