TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2008, 09:51 AM   #1
MobilePro

Default Undecided....

I have never owned an RV before and was very excited to find a travel trailer that I could easily pull with my mid-sized SUV.....but after joining this forum and reading about all the technical problems people have with their TM, I am not sure that RVing is the best route for me to take.

I am a traveling nurse and want to use an RV as a permanent residence for 13 week assignments. Since I am a single female, I am not sure that I would be able to maintain the rv and keep it in good working condition. I have read all the posts about toilets, leaking, fridge, and (the big one for me) security issues.

Any input or advice would be great.....(If there are any single gals out there doing this I would especially love to hear what you have to say about the RVing experience).

Thanks!!!
Old 06-05-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
Queeniereads

In all honesty, I think most of us bring our "problems" to this group to find solutions. THere must be many more of us who have never had a problem. We like our TM a whole lot and if I were a single woman, I would buy it again. I have put our 3124KS up and down by myself several times. I would need a quick lesson on hooking up the outside stuff, but I understand the theory and I can read a manual. I do most of the towing because I like the way I drive. We bought our TM new and had a wonderful dealer who took immediate care of the only thing that went awry -- the drawer in the little dresser fell apart once -- never again. If money is an object, this will tow cheaper using less gas than a travel trailer and is far, far easier toput up than a pop-up. As for security, if I were alone, I would stay in what I perceive to be safe places like campgrounds. Hope you decide on a TM -- we did! Queen
Old 06-05-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

The maintenance issues are really not too much of a big deal, especially on a unit just a a few days old. I'd say many folks on this board are more interested in making mods to make things smoother and not as much in repairs. But make no mistake about it, it will take more attention than a hotel room, that is certain. If you have internet access, you can post questions here about problems you have, and they will be answered. It will be the best $12 you will ever spend. And if you do encounter problems, they likely won't all appear at once. You can just take them as they come, get advice here, and learn along the way. That's what we all do. And for the occasional problem that it over your head, pay a shop to fix it.

As far as security goes, I think many people get a false sense of security in their homes, apartments, and hotel rooms. It is very easy to kick in a door, and way easier to simply break a window. On your way home from work, take a look at home many places you could break into with a rock. I get a sense from occasionally reading newspaper police logs that many theives gain entrance thefts to vehicles and residences through unlocked doors and open windows, and the same would certainly hold true for campers. Bottom line: your camper only has to be more secure than your neighbor's. Camp next to a pop-up. Close your windows and lock your doors when you leave. That's the same thing you do at your house.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
ng2951

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobilePro View Post
I have never owned an RV before and was very excited to find a travel trailer that I could easily pull with my mid-sized SUV.....but after joining this forum and reading about all the technical problems people have with their TM, I am not sure that RVing is the best route for me to take.
Rent any trailer first for a weekend and that will answer most of your questions.
Quote:
I am a traveling nurse and want to use an RV as a permanent residence for 13 week assignments. Since I am a single female, I am not sure that I would be able to maintain the rv and keep it in good working condition. I have read all the posts about toilets, leaking, fridge, and (the big one for me) security issues.
Go take a look at 3124 or a 3326. They are bigger and give you a lot of internal storage and cabinets. In any of the these pop-up trailers have lots of storage is a plus since the cabinets do not go all the way to ceiling (since they must fold up).

One security, between the dacshund and mix breed mut (22#) they take care of most of the security issues. Whatever, they cannot handle the .45 will. If someone comes through that door they are going to have that dacshund on them like a torpedo shot out of a submarine.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:40 AM   #5
Goodyear Travels

My wife and I dearly love our TM. We work as a team in setup, takedown, maintenance, and repair. This is makes for an ideal situation in my opinion. But if you were to "go it alone", and there are some single gals who have done this successfully, you would probably have a more pleasant experience if you tend to be: high energy, mechanically inclined, adventuresome, fearless, and a problem solver. Hey, things happen and 13 week stretches in any trailer might also be pushing your comfort limits. Your nursing assignments will probably be challenging enough. I'm not sure that I'd want to bring more complexity and challenge than absolutely necessary. But once you make the decision don't look back. You'd always have the good folks in this forum to help you through whatever you encounter. Best of Luck.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:34 AM   #6
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Well said Eric!

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
agesilaus

As for the security issue, we have camped for 30 years and have never had anything stolen or felt threatened in all that time. And we spent most of that time in tents and popups. Neither even pretends to be secure.

We have rarely camped within 50 miles of any major metropolis and never in the northeast crime central region. We are planning to camp near Boston this summer and have to confess that the issue has risen to where I'm thinking about it.

That being said I am a 6'2" alpha male type and have little insight into what it is like to be a single female alone.

I would do the modification to lock the two door segments together or get someone to do it for me. It is simple with just drilling a hole and inserting a bolt and wingnut. And, tho I know women and suspect even more so nurses, don't like this idea, I'd get a small handgun and learn to use it. Probably a .380 would be good for most women. Get a concealed weapon permit, if your state allows it. And if they don't, the old saying: "It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" still holds.

I'm going to get one for my daughter when she finally moves out.

As for maintenance. A home or apartment still calls for maintenance. They have leaking faucets and troublesome hot water heaters. So I don't know if a TM has that many more problems. The water tanks are probably the biggest added source of trouble and they should be OK if you follow sensible guidelines for them.

All this depends on your personality type tho as someone has already mentioned.

BK
Old 06-06-2008, 05:47 PM   #8
ng2951

Quote:
Originally Posted by agesilaus View Post
...And, tho I know women and suspect even more so nurses, don't like this idea, I'd get a small handgun and learn to use it. Probably a .380 would be good for most women. Get a concealed weapon permit, if your state allows it. And if they don't, the old saying: "It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" still holds...
Nahhh, you don't need to do that. Get a "NRA Life Member" sticker for your window and drop a few 12 gauge hulls outside your doorway where they can be seen and that will do the trick...
Old 06-06-2008, 04:42 PM   #9
larsdennert

Great! After you shoot them you can treat them. Just the advice a nurse needs.

I do agree you should try one out. You'll know pretty quick.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:41 AM   #10
smokeymtngirl

Thumbs up smokeymtngirl

I would feel totally safe going in a newer model anywhere. As a female I think they are very easy to put up. Unless you have an old one like us (1988) that has its lifting problems..Its a great camper and I think you would love it..
Enjoy.