TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-12-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
sharon

Default Mirrors----------help

i need to buy towing mirrors and i don't want the cheap $25 ones and i can't afford the right nice permanent ones for $350----i don't like the tied down look of the mckesh--------any other ideas on kind of mirror and where to purchase them---thank you sharon
Old 09-12-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Talking Help is on the way (real, not political)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon
i need to buy towing mirrors and i don't want the cheap $25 ones and i can't afford the right nice permanent ones for $350----i don't like the tied down look of the mckesh--------any other ideas on kind of mirror and where to purchase them---thank you sharon
Oops. Nevermind my previous set of links. I don't read so well when in a hurry.

Stiil, McKesh ARE worth the effort. Those clip-ons are too short to be effective, IMHO. Performance is EVERYTHING, not looks. Nuff said.

Denny_A
Old 09-13-2006, 02:53 AM   #3
2blueranger
Site Sponsor

I have had good luck with CIPA mirrors. They slip on over the original ones, and in most cases do a great job. I have bought them for three different tow vehicles. Camping World has them, also you can order them on line. The last ones I bought for my 2004 F-150. They last forever it seems. Happy Camping
2blueranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:32 AM   #4
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon
I was in the same situation shortly after buying our TM. Someone loaned me a pair of cheapo "strap on" mirrors just to get our new (to us) TM home. They vibrated horribly no matter how much they were tightened, and literally gave me a headache! I promptly bought a set of CIPA mirrors specifically made to fit the mirrors on my truck. They slip on and off, and have a knob to tighten them onto the mirror. I usually remove them after we arrive at our campsite, to prevent them from "walking away". Bought them online for less han $40 a piece as I recall.

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:07 PM   #5
masterge

Default Which CIPA Model did you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie & Nick
I was in the same situation shortly after buying our TM. Someone loaned me a pair of cheapo "strap on" mirrors just to get our new (to us) TM home. They vibrated horribly no matter how much they were tightened, and literally gave me a headache! I promptly bought a set of CIPA mirrors specifically made to fit the mirrors on my truck. They slip on and off, and have a knob to tighten them onto the mirror. I usually remove them after we arrive at our campsite, to prevent them from "walking away". Bought them online for less han $40 a piece as I recall.

Nick

Which CIPA model did you buy? Have a pic?
Old 09-13-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
CAmark
Site Sponsor

Default For what it's worth...

I tried several generic, one-size fits all, slip-on mirrors for my Pilot. Too much vibration, too much struggle to install (the rubber bungee cord type), not enough extension -- the pilot is a bit narrower than many TV. I settled on McKesh and got a good deal on a used set from Ebay. The initial set-up took about 30 minutes...now it takes about 1 minute to install both mirrors, and they come off even quicker. I cannot read license plates in them as PopBeavers would like , but the vibration is pretty minimal and gives acceptable results.
Mark
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:53 PM   #7
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterge
Which CIPA model did you buy? Have a pic?
Here are some pictures of the CIPA mirrors that fit my Ford F 150. I didn't see a model number on the mirrors and I don't have the original boxes. Actually I think all the mirror bodies are the same. It's the internal plastic strip (visible in one of the pictures) that is contoured to match the vehicle's mirror.
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:45 PM   #8
edweidig

Default Cipa mirrors

I wish Cipa made the slide on mirrors for other model vehicles. I can only find them for Chevy, Ford, and Dodge trucks. The guy at CW checked the catalog for me too, but nothing for any other vehicles, at least as of March this year. I wound up with the strap ons, but will probably go with McKesh soon. Getting tired of the vibration and having to adjust them each time I put them on the Land Cruiser.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:39 AM   #9
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

I've got these
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...10438&src=SRQB
strap ons and they work great for me. Some vibration but I can see what's back there and they don't bother me. They have a screw that tightens the mirror itself and once they are adjusted, they stay put Initial adjustment takes all of 40 seconds. I got mine on sale from CW for $5@ now the are $15@. Read the reviews on the CW page.
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:17 PM   #10
dbnoll

I found these mirrors to be great. They don't vibrate and you can adjust them with your power mirror controls. The trick is to make sure you put the saftey strap on your mirror and that the mirror surface is clean before putting them on. I have never had them fall off when the surface was cleaned first.

http://www.tow-n-see.com/

I for one love them.