TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-17-2010, 08:31 AM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

If you have electricity - an ordinary electric blanket is a wonderful thing.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:04 AM   #12
brulaz

In freezing weather, my main concern is the exposed drains. The inside plumbing can be kept warm but the outside valves are so exposed. Last time we wrapped them all with multiple layers of plastic bags. If we were to do more sub-freezing camping (which I hope we are not!) I would consider some sort of skirting to protect all the under-body plumbing and tanks.

And, yes, Moab and Canyonlands N.P. are favorite places of ours as well. But not in the winter ...
Old 12-17-2010, 01:01 PM   #13
Mr Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
Glad to see this set up works. The only thing we use the '90 YJ for is to move the TM around in the yard. Jeep used to have a 25 square foot frontal area limitation besides the TC rating. They still have that?

Ken
Hi Ken,

That's a darn nice trailer mover you have in your YJ

Not sure about the SF frontal area spec. I have been through some mean winds, from all directions and the rig is very stable, the Jeep actually feels more stable while towing and the 4.0 L inline 6 has amazing torque but on grades it needs second gear at about 4500 to 4800 rpm for 50 to 55 mph. Basically I am able to drive safely and stay with the flow of slower traffic, passing the slower vehicles. I regeared the pumpkins for towing, so it actually works well, all things considered.

These TMs being low should have a pretty small frontal face BUT 25 SF is very small as well.

As for weight I doubt I am under the GVWR but I do all I can to stay as close as possible. One thing that helps, most times it's just me in the TV. I have not weighed my rig, mainly because I don't have many options...I either tow with my Jeep or I stay home.

As for the specs here's what I found:

Capacities/Weights
Weight Distribution - Automatic Transmission - % Front=49.0
Payload Capacity - Maximum [lb]=750
Weight Distribution - Automatic Transmission - % Rear=51.0
Base Curb Weight - with Automatic Transmission [lb]=4013
Towing Capacity - Maximum (Properly Equipped) [lb]=3500
Weight Distribution - Manual Transmission - % Rear=49.0
Fuel Tank Capacity [gal]=19.0
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) - Maximum [lb]=4600
Weight Distribution - Manual Transmission - % Front=51.0
Base Curb Weight - with Manual Transmission [lb]=3977
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) - Standard [lb]=4600
Old 12-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #14
Mr Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
Hi Bob...

...We almost bought a 27 ft HiLo towlite that was almost new...in 2005...now we are glad we didn't...it looks like it shrank compared to our TM.. Of course it was still the same size we were just used to bigger. I know that we could have made it work though.
I looked at HilLo versus TM and what I really like on the TM is your interior world opens wider at each end. The way I use my TM those areas are perfect for temp storage and bedding, as well as a nice big couch. The front bed area has that sloping wall and a bolster/pillow against that wall as a backrest makes for a large couch/futon type area, very comfortable for this old fart which leaves the rest of the RV uncluttered. That floor plan along with the weight being less on TMs helped to make my decision.

Quote:
...I am currently considering ordering a Super Bag in the King size. My camper is put away and I need to pull it out to measure the mattress. I have a coupon for $50.00 off through Jan. 10th with that company. I think the mattress is 78X78 inches. The King size Super Bag comes in 72 X80 inches...standard. They sent me an email yesterday and said they will make one to whatever deminsions I want.
I went the superbag route for now. I looked at the Travasack, great product, but I didn't like the velcro'd in sheets too much. I prefer less is more when it comes to stuff like that. I used a couple sleeping bags over the years and they work fine, just a bit too narrow.

Quote:
...I need to make one replacement curtain for next to the sofa. I am thinking of making all new curtains and lining them for insulation as well to keep them from fading so fast. I have almost enough fabric...just need the curtain tape and the lining fabric.
This is a great idea. Mine are still in pretty good shape but but faded. I like the insulation idea. Hope you post some photos when done.

Quote:
Have fun on your trip!!!!
Thanks!
Old 12-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #15
Mr Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
If you have electricity - an ordinary electric blanket is a wonderful thing.

Bill
Great idea Bill, thanks!
Old 12-17-2010, 01:40 PM   #16
Mr Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
...And, yes, Moab and Canyonlands N.P. are favorite places of ours as well. But not in the winter ...
I have never been there in the dead of winter. I am not planning much driving around other than the Jeep rides and short drives for some photography, weather permitting.

I have some nagging health issues that limits my activity levels (don't we all) and hence the reason I am staying multiple days in each park, to relax and enjoy the TM in what should be interesting/challenging weather conditions.

I wasn't planning on touching those exposed drains. I have never even opened them, they look "flimsy". If anyone has had their's break from freezing please chime in, otherwise I assumed they would survive. It seems these valves would be desiged to withstand freezing, I hope.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:44 PM   #17
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I've had the exposed drains freeze a few times. I tried replacing them with the same type of drains, but they always leaked. Now I have a couple of different kinds that don't freeze, a couple of them are brass and one other is something random that I found at Home Depot.

Our temps get down below 20 here sometimes...it's rare, but we are in an isolated coastal valley.

I do believe that I am one of the few on the board that has had a problem with these standard drains. Living where we do, I somehow never think that I need to "winterize". Plus, I like to keep water in the tank in case we have an earthquake or lose power.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:51 PM   #18
Mr Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
I've had the exposed drains freeze a few times. I tried replacing them with the same type of drains, but they always leaked. Now I have a couple of different kinds that don't freeze, a couple of them are brass and one other is something random that I found at Home Depot.

Our temps get down below 20 here sometimes...it's rare, but we are in an isolated coastal valley.

I do believe that I am one of the few on the board that has had a problem with these standard drains. Living where we do, I somehow never think that I need to "winterize". Plus, I like to keep water in the tank in case we have an earthquake or lose power.
I too like to keep water in my RV for the same reasons. I run my pump to empty my tanks to keep the diaphragm in the pump pliable (hopefully) and to avoid messing with those valves, they just look like trouble to me.

An important question I have based on your post is, when your valves froze did they then just start leaking or did they leak after you used them again?

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2010, 03:58 AM   #19
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Geek View Post

An important question I have based on your post is, when your valves froze did they then just start leaking or did they leak after you used them again?

Thanks!
We haven't had any trouble with the drains although spray nozzle in the kitchen sink froze and broke this week. Temperature was 21 deg F

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #20
Redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Geek View Post
. I enjoy stormy weather so this is a plus to me BUT safety comes first.
Also, nice photo of Delicate Arch (I think) in your Avatar!

I usually spend more time with a camera in my face in Utah, so I am sure I will be posting a few throughout this trip.

Mr Geek.
Thanks, it is Delicate Arch. Some of my best ATV rides have been in Moab in nasty weather....the Red Rocks are stunning with snow on them.

Enjoy your trip and keep us updated. I'm STILL jealous. LOL