TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-20-2011, 08:04 AM   #1
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Default Heading to Buffalo, Wyoming for a few days

We're heading north for a few days armed with all the cold weather advice that has been discussed at length recently. We've got our original space heater as well as our new oil heater. Thanks so much for all of the advice about cupboard doors open, bathroom fan running and blocking the vents. We have been out in the TM in worse temps than this before but dry camped so this is our first trip in it using water in these temps for an extended period of time. We do have a heater on our grey water tank so that shouldn't be an issue. We have a piece of insulation that we are going to put in with the outdoor shower once the TM is open. We really want to make that shower go away . . .

We should have daytime highs between 28 and 39 and overnight lows between 20 and 27. A virtual heatwave compared to what Bob experienced in Moab!

I hope we have no dramatic updates when it's all said and done!

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
Beak12

I can't imagine going camping in weather like that. I have had a 2720SL and now a Elkmont 24 and only camped with full hookups. Outsid temp only as low as 40 and my small elec heate runs all the time.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

We're going camping this weekend too (Doheny State Beach). We'll be thinking about you.........(highs 70's lows 40's)
Old 01-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
Beak12

Well if my Elkmont get out of the shop (Custom RV) we going camping next week also. Anza Borrego State Park. Temps should be mid 70's.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wahlsten View Post
Well if my Elkmont get out of the shop (Custom RV) we going camping next week also. Anza Borrego State Park. Temps should be mid 70's.
Hey John.....Are you taking your dirt bike to the desert with you??
Old 01-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
Mr Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoBear View Post
We're heading north for a few days armed with all the cold weather advice that has been discussed at length recently. We've got our original space heater as well as our new oil heater. Thanks so much for all of the advice about cupboard doors open, bathroom fan running and blocking the vents. We have been out in the TM in worse temps than this before but dry camped so this is our first trip in it using water in these temps for an extended period of time. We do have a heater on our grey water tank so that shouldn't be an issue. We have a piece of insulation that we are going to put in with the outdoor shower once the TM is open. We really want to make that shower go away . . .

We should have daytime highs between 28 and 39 and overnight lows between 20 and 27. A virtual heatwave compared to what Bob experienced in Moab!

I hope we have no dramatic updates when it's all said and done!

Malinda
That's GREAT! I imagine you are pretty happy to get out of the house and into your TM for a while, I hope you have a blast. I think you will really be pleased with your heating setup.

The one thing I learned from my recent Utah trip is as soon as it goes below freezing it's actually better to leave the hose connected and turn on the cold water in the bathtub, which prevents the hose and plumbing running through most of the TM from freezing. A slight trickle is all that's needed to keep the water flowing throughout the RV. The colder it gets the more water I would flow. I also would fill the bathroom sink with warm water and drain it occasionally to keep the gray tank and sewer hose from building up ice and possibly clogging. In all the cold weather I faced I never had a problem with my sewer hose. I realize this is a bit wasteful, but in such harsh conditions I feel it's merited to make sure you have drinking water and water to use in general, basically to survive.

I found by filling the inside tanks and using the water pump does NOT prevent the plumbing from freezing in the more exposed locations in colder temps. Mine froze within an hour or so after I stopped trickling the water in the bathtub, and my water pump no longer worked, all of a sudden I had NO water. Most likely the main line that runs through the fridge compartment froze first blocking everything from that point on. Once that happens you are chasing ice ghosts with a blow dryer in very cold temps...yikes!

I will be keep tabs on your trip...ENJOY and have a safe trip

Bob.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
Beak12

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
Hey John.....Are you taking your dirt bike to the desert with you??

C & W

Sorry do not have a dirt bike. Just my two feet and 1 cane. LOL
Old 01-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Geek View Post
...Most likely the main line that runs through the fridge compartment froze first blocking everything from that point on....
FWIW - This problem does not exist for those who have slide out models. The fresh water tank, the pump and associated plumbing are all contained within the cabinets aft of the refrigerator.

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
Mr Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaupp View Post
FWIW - This problem does not exist for those who have slide out models. The fresh water tank, the pump and associated plumbing are all contained within the cabinets aft of the refrigerator.
Great info, thanks! On the 2619 that fresh water mainline is right next to the fridge compartment access panel, practically outside.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:48 AM   #10
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Well, here we are enjoying the Wyoming Wind Festival! It runs from January 1 through December 31 in case any of you are interested in attending.

We are warm as toast in the TM. We haven't really messed with the water yet but we are at Gene's brother's house so we can invade if we need to. We are treasuring every second we get with our niece and nephew who just flew in from Arizona and Georgia.

We had a couple of seconds of excitement in Casper with that horizontal snow icing up the road but most of the rest was great. We have our fingers crossed for the trip home.

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote