TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
Joesjunk
Site Sponsor

Default Another blown fuse problem

I'm having a problem with blowing the 30 Amp battery fuse.

If the TrailManor (2007 3124SL) is stored for a while, I blow the
fuse on the battery when I plug it into AC power. I assuming that the
Battery is weak from parasitic loads in the TM when stored. It is
a relatively new battery.

I noticed that the converter is a WFCO WF-8955AN. That is a 55 amp
power converter. Would the power converter output more than 30 amps
to the battery, thus blowing a 30 amp fuse on the battery.

Any ideas ???
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
M&M Hokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesjunk View Post
I noticed that the converter is a WFCO WF-8955AN. That is a 55 amp power converter. Would the power converter output more than 30 amps to the battery, thus blowing a 30 amp fuse on the battery.

Any ideas ???
My converter is the WFCO WF-8955PEC model. I do not know the differences between the AN vs. PEC designations but would imagine that the models are pretty similar.

I presume that others will weigh in concerning max output of the converter when charging. Does the 55 Amp rating state the charging circuitry or the total distribution capability?

I can say that I would be shocked to see that kind of current being pushed into the battery. I don't recall seeing charging rates exceed 10A with my rig. I certainly would have remembered if it was higher than 15A. That said, my TM is stored with electrical power and rarely drops below 80-85% SOC. Consequently, the converter may not be able to push much into the battery in those situations. If it is capable of pushing that kind of current into the battery, you might have a seriously depleted battery.

Have you tried measuring battery voltage just before plugging into shore power? Voltage reading in this scenario should be very accurate since there wouldn't be the vagaries of surface charging to invalidate the answer. Having this info would be helpful.

Then again, if it was a battery SOC issue, how would you solve the problem if you kept blowing fuses? Are you temporarily inserting a higher amperage fuse or doing some other workaround? I just want to isolate things a bit between bad battery or bad converter.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Have you replaced the original fuse holder, and its AGC glass fuse, with an ATO or ATC automotive fuseholder? If you have not, this can be both a blessing and a curse.

It is a curse because the original fuse holder tends to overheat, especially under high current, and the heating can actually melt the solder connection inside the glass tubular fuse. Bang, it opens.

It is a blessing because you can substitute a 30-amp slow-blow fuse for the original for the original AGC glass fuse. Slow blow fuses are also available in the ATC format, but are perhaps not common. See Digi-key, for example.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:52 AM   #4
ng2951

I constantly had that problem. I installed a self resetting circuit breaker and never had the problem again.

The only downside I had is when the battery loses a couple of cells, you will hear the converter switching on and off as the CB resets.

Like Bill says a slow-blow might do the trick as well, but I thought I did that too only I do not remember...
Old 07-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
mrspuppy

Red face

I've only had my 2007 2619 for a little over a month. First outing I couldn't get the front end lights to work. Thanks to this page, I learned that there's a knob by the exhaust fan that has to be on for them to work. Haven't tried it yet, but I do know I have a knob. Before I figured this out, I tested all my fuses near the floor on the back end. All checked okay. I have been unable to locate any "glass" fuses if they are elsewhere. I'm fairly handy, however electricity is not my forte!
mrspuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
Scott O

You probably have a glass fuse very close (a couple of inches) to your battery(s). This is extremely easy to swap out with a bladed model. Find them at any auto parts store of places like WalMart. Also, it is a good idea to put together a fuse kit with extras of the fuses in your TM.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
Joesjunk
Site Sponsor

Default battery check

Another blown fuse problem...
I disconnected the fully charged battery and parked the TM in the garage. I'll pull it out in a week or two and check the battery. If it is dead then it has bad cells. Could be that is what is blowing the fuses.
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
namklg

We had a similar problem with our Rockwood Pop up. The cause was a loose wire that inserted into the metal fitting that went over the battery post. Fix that and no more blown fuses. We have a few extra fuses on hand from those experiences!
Old 07-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
mrspuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
You probably have a glass fuse very close (a couple of inches) to your battery(s). This is extremely easy to swap out with a bladed model. Find them at any auto parts store of places like WalMart. Also, it is a good idea to put together a fuse kit with extras of the fuses in your TM.
Thanks! I've gotten together spares of all the other fuses (after several trips not knowing what I was looking for.) I finally read through my notes one more time, and found the missing link...ATC.
mrspuppy is offline   Reply With Quote