TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2005, 04:46 PM   #1
MikeD
Site Sponsor

Default Installation of Xantrex Link-10 Battery Monitor on 2720

I just finished installing a Xantrex Link-10 on my 2720 (battery and propane mounted on the tongue and not a swing hitch). About 3/4 of our camping is boondocking, and I'm really looking forward to being able to accurately track my battery state. The link-10 measures voltage, amperage, amp-hours consumed, and keeps track of the average and maximum discharge.

The first attachment shows the installation. I chose underneath the sink by the bathroom because there was enough space to work and I could route the cable up through the existing 12 volt access hole. The second attachment shows a close-up of the link-10 face. It is currently displaying the number of amp-hours pulled from the battery.

The next attachment shows the mounting on the tongue. I mounted the shunt in the waterproof grey box attached to the tongue. The last attachment shows a close-up of the wiring in and out of the waterproof box containing the shunt. I added the box because I didn't want to mount the shunt in the battery case. On Trailmanors in which the battery is mounted in the rear storage area, the installation would be easier, since you could easily mount the shunt on the wall.

Ray Caver has already posted current requirements for a number of the TM appliances, so I won't repeat them.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ight=trimetric

My next project is to add a couple of higher current and more robust DC outlets.

MikeD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0002.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	551   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0013.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	552   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0029.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	553   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0023.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	554  

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 08:14 PM   #2
Caver
Site Sponsor

Default Link-10 Battery Monitor

MikeD, that's a very professional job.

A folding trailer makes it difficult to mount anything at eye level. That's the big advantage of the Xantrex Link-10 since its small size allows it to be mounted in the limited space available in a TM.

That's a tough choice between the lower cost US made Trimetric and the smaller easier to mount Link-10.

We had a VW once that didn't have a fuel gauge. When you started running out of gas your moved a lever on the floor. That sort of reminds me of camping on batteries without some sort of battery monitor to know the current usage and Amp Hours remaining.

Ray
Caver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 08:48 PM   #3
MikeD
Site Sponsor

Default Link-10 Battery Monitor

Ray,

Thanks - my priority was being able to permanently mount the meter - so the Link-10.

I agree on having a full function monitor. We stayed at Yosemite for 5 days last year, and then moved to another campground. I ran my generator for an hour or two each day (Honda EU1000i), but never really knew how much we were putting back into the battery. When we left for the new campsite and turned the frige to 12v, I just crossed my fingers and hoped that the battery would hold out. Now I will know.

Mike

Old 06-06-2005, 09:15 PM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

http://houseboatingworld.com/store/S...p?idProduct=52

Is this what you installed? This sounds like a great product.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:33 AM   #5
MikeD
Site Sponsor

B_and_D,

Thats it.

MikeD

Old 06-10-2005, 10:11 PM   #6
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Outstanding job!

Congrats, Mike, on an exceptionally well done installation of a great product. As another member of the boondocking TMers, I certainly empathasize with the criticality of knowing what the batteries' state of charge (and recharge) is. Good to see we have at least two options for these measurements.

So far I'm doing OK by just monitoring voltage...I'm getting enough sunshine and have enough solar power to recharge the house batteries fully by mid day with moderate nightly power use. I watch my system voltage carefully...as soon as I see the effect of the controller cycling the panels in/out of the circuit, I know I'm good to go for that day. On my last trip I had enough spare solar generation to be able keep all my other electronics (laptop, camera, cell phone) recharged despite fairly heavy use of each gadget.

And on a previous trip, during an enroute business related stop (client consulting visit) I had to leave the truck/trailer parked for 8 full hours in a strip mall parking lot with the refer running on DC the entire time. Fortunately, the entire day was cloudfree with brilliant sunshine. I had about a 2.5 hour drive between leaving the parking lot and arriving home (not enough for much recharge of the batteries) and when I arrived I ascertained my batteries were actually only discharged by about 15 amp-hours (based on the time it took my .9 amp trickle charger to bring them back to a fully charged state). Solar Rules!!!

But on a longer boondocking trip...with persistent cloudiness and/or heavy night usage of the batteries, staying on top of the battery state could be very critical. So I'm now adding a Xantrex to my list of future goodies.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 09:16 AM   #7
MikeD
Site Sponsor

Ray,

I'm considering solar, but I am concerned about the tree cover in most of our favorite camping spots. With the Link-10, I will be able to accurately measure my daily amp-hours and be in a better position to see if solar would work for me. For now I am using my Honda 1000i generator. By having the amp-hour display, I can just run the generator long enough to replace what I used.

The other nice thing is that this gives me a good measure of battery health. If the battery resting volatge decreases in disproportion to the removed amp-hours, I know right away that something is going on with the battery - either age, water level, or some other damage.

Finally, it's great to be able to open up the TM after a long trip, and immediately see what's going on with the batteries (again via the accumulated amp-hour display). If the fridge has pulled down the battery I can see it right away, and run the generator or conserve until I can run the generator. Particularly good if I need to run the furnace that night.

Mike

Old 09-13-2005, 06:28 AM   #8
BobRederick

Default Xantrex Link-10 experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD
I just finished installing a Xantrex Link-10 on my 2720
MikeD
Mike
You have a gorgeous charge meter setup. Thanks for the great photos and inspiration. Can you give us an update on using the Xantrix Link-10? I would be very interested in knowing your user experiences. Someday, I'll probably add an amp-hour meter. So far, we have only dry-camped and I long for an amp-hour meter every day I am out.

* How have you changed your charging technique? You described as 1 hr/day which is just what I do now.
* How have you changed your electrical usage?
* What other inspirations have you obtained from using this boondocking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD
My next project is to add a couple of higher current and more robust DC outlets.
MikeD
I have the same goal. You might save me some grief here.
* What did you find for sturdy 12V sockets?
* Where did you mount your sockets and how did you get power to them?
Old 09-20-2005, 04:20 PM   #9
MikeD
Site Sponsor

Default Xantrex Link-10 experience

Bob,
Sorry for the delay in reply, but we've been out of town for a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRederick
Mike
You have a gorgeous charge meter setup. Thanks for the great photos and inspiration. Can you give us an update on using the Xantrix Link-10? I would be very interested in knowing your user experiences. Someday, I'll probably add an amp-hour meter. So far, we have only dry-camped and I long for an amp-hour meter every day I am out.

* How have you changed your charging technique? You described as 1 hr/day which is just what I do now.
I went a long trip (about 7 hours driving) with the fridge turned to DC. When I arrived at my site, I checked my AH meter, and discovered that I was down by about 23 AH (about 1/5 of our usable battery capacity). Fortunately, I was heading to a full hookup site, but this concerned me, since most of our camping is no-hookup.

I subsequently measured voltages at the hitch plug, the converter, and at the battery plus current at the battery via the Link-10. I discovered that with the battery fully charged, the fridge on DC, and the TV engine running, I was still pulling about 5 Amps from the trailer battery. As the trailer battery discharged, the portion supplied by the TV increased.

By measuing the voltages at the points described above, I concluded that the problem was electrical (resistance) losses from the TV alternator to the TM battery. The TV wiring is 12-guage (about 15 feet in lenght) and the TM wiring is 10-guage (about 30 feet in lenght for my 2720 with battery on the front). Since you need to count both the source and return lenghts, this gives ~20 feet of 12-guage plus ~60 feet of 10-guage. With carrying the 10 Amps to the fridge, the voltage coming from the TV isn't high enough to overcome resistive losses.

The upshot of all of this was that I decided to install a solar panel system (I have to admit that I was looking at one anyway, since I don't like carrying a generator plus gas in the interior of my SUV (probably would have keep the generator if we had a truck)). Anyway, I've been very pleased with the solar system. I always arrive at a camp site with batteries topped off or close to it. We have gone on two trips (one 3 nights, and the other 5 nights - both with the furnance going at night), and if I get only one panel illuminated for a couple of hours, the panels have provided enough power so that the batteries have not discharged more than 35 AH (I have two Trojan's T-105's with a total of ~225AH).
In fact, if both panels are shaded or in the early morning hours, I get about .6 Amps. Thus, so far, it seems that on a normal day (with at least 8+ hours of sunlight) and shaded panels that I can count on close to 5 AH from my panels. Not enough to replace the power I'm using, but enough to extend the time I can stay.
So far, I haven't had to use a generator and hope to plan to stop traveling with one.
Quote:
* How have you changed your electrical usage?
I have a maximum usable AH capacity of ~110AH with my batteries (max of 50% discharge). If we are boondocking for 'n' nights, my daily budget is 110AH/n per day. During each day/night in a campground, I monitor what we are using. If I stay under my daily budget (with solar contribution), then I just use what ever power that I want. If I begin to go over, then I start being more miserly with lights and the furnace at night. I love this set-up, I can plan my trip so that I don't run into surprises before the end of the trip.
Quote:
* What other inspirations have you obtained from using this boondocking?
Besides moving me to install the panels, and my monitoring of extracted battery AH, nothing else. I did replace the two high usage incandescent lights over the sink and oven with two fluorescent lights to reduce power usage and provide more illumination.
Quote:
I have the same goal. You might save me some grief here.
* What did you find for sturdy 12V sockets?
* Where did you mount your sockets and how did you get power to them?
I used the Andersen power poles as first documented by Caver (http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13694&postcount=7).

I installed them as part of my solar installation. I mounted my solar controlled under the sink next to the fridge (the fresh water tank on a 2720 is installed in the couch in front of the fridge). I then replaced the 10-guage run from the solar controller to the battery with 6-guage wire, this gives me very low voltage drop when charging the battery and plenty of ampacity. As part of this rewiring, I installed a fuse box next to the solar controller. This box has a capacity of 6 fuses, and is connected directly to battery. The TM converter (the original 10-guage), the solar converter and my anderson power poles at connected into this box. I have three power pole outlets connected with individual runs of 10-guage wiring (out and back around the fridge), and each run is currently fused at 20 amps per outlet (The power poles are rated at 30 amps per connector, and I could increase the fusing to 30 Amp if needed). I replaced the telephone plate on my TM (near to the Wineguard TV/12-v outlet) with a modular plate that contains the telephone jack plus the three power pole connectors.

You can make or buy adapaters which go from the power pole connector to a regular 12 volt socket, or you can put power pole connectors on any 12-volt device. I've done a combination of both. Things I plug into my new outlets include: AA/AAA battery chargers, 12-volt cell phone charger, small 150 watt inverter to power my computer, LCD flat screen TV for watching movies at night, a small thermo-electric refridgerator, and a 12-volt hair dryer. I have found the usage to be flexible and easy, and I'm glad that I no longer have to worry about melting the Wineguard socket.

Mike

Old 09-20-2005, 07:39 PM   #10
BobRederick

Ray

Thanks for the reply and all of the great info. The amount of solar charge you get while parked in the shade is very interesting.

So the Trimetric hooks up to a multi wired cable with a connector that looks like a phone or internet connector. Very flexible. Although it is one more thing to put away when you move, you can place it where it can be seen outside the TM. My battery is in the trunk compartment.