TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2023, 04:31 PM   #1
Sienna

Default Moving batteries from the tongue to the back

Anyone have experience moving the batteries from the tongue to the back compartment in a 2720. I have the front bed version. I believe I would have to add ventilation On the bottom of the compartment so it is not blocked when folded up. This would help with security of the batteries.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:37 PM   #2
Shane826
TrailManor Master

TM uses this box and runs the vent through the side wall.

https://a.co/d/es7hHh5

Camco makes a similar one that comes with the hose and vent assembly..

https://a.co/d/7656s03

Yes, the through-the-wall vent is technically blocked when the camper is closed. Note both those boxes have a top and bottom vent. TM digs out the floor of the storage cubby with a screen underneath to nestle the box in place. They cut off the bottom outlet so it sits flat on the screen. I don’t really know how much ventilation that creates since hydrogen gas will rise upward. If you don’t care about the bottom vent here’s the box without the bottom vent. I don’t think Camco makes one that way.

https://a.co/d/hTjZuHb

You will have a helluva time running a vent through the top/roof due to the sliding bed over the top of the rear compartment storage and not to mention the cantilevered folding mechanism of the roof. Also keep in mind that moving the battery/ies to the rear will mess with the balance of the trailer since you are reducing tongue weight.

I’ve yet to find a box for two 6V GC2 batteries with an outlet for a vent hose. I have this one, trying to figure out how to modify it to work in the storage area.

https://a.co/d/4sdiOOY

Let me know if you have any other questions.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 06:54 AM   #3
rich2468
Site Sponsor

If you upgrade to a Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) you will not need a vent, will incur a weight savings, and will gain battery capacity.....but you'll increase your cost in the relocation.

If you do, you will likely want to upgrade your power converter, as well, to fully change the LiFePO4 battery.

If you're staying with a lead acid based battery, you may want to just investigate a locking battery box and leave the battery where it is.

Rich and Lynn
2021 2922KB

420Ah LiFePO4 battery bank, kilowatt solar, 3K Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter, DC-to-DC Charger, Sealand 711-M28 toilet, Maxxis 8008 Load Rated E
rich2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 08:35 AM   #4
jagizzi
Site Sponsor

Removing 120# from the tongue of our 2720 and moving it to the rear had me concerned about tongue weight, but I wanted to increase our battery capacity and have a LiFePO4 battery string. So I ended up adding an additional batter string in the rear compartment without eliminating the FLA's on the tongue.

I had already upgraded the Power Center to a PD4645 with boost charging so I use it, and manual battery switches, to charge both battery strings. Only one string or the other can be charged at a time and it does place the burden on me to handle the manual switching, but it works great. I have 412Ah of Lithium in the rear compartment along with the two GC2s on the tongue.

All of the battery management is in the rear compartment along with the lithium batteries. This keeps them hidden from site in a lockable compartment with decoy Lead Acids in the front that actually add to my capacity.

Solar and an inverter will be added this year and it will likely be necessary to tie them both to just the Lithium string but that is ok with me.
jagizzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 02:43 PM   #5
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

My 2417 TMs had the batteries under the dinette bench, with the vent going out the side. When the TM is closed, there is still airflow between the top shell and the bottom box. So, ventilation in the rear compartment, with a hole through the side wall should not be a problem.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 03:35 PM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
I’ve yet to find a box for two 6V GC2 batteries with an outlet for a vent hose. I have this one, trying to figure out how to modify it to work in the storage area.
Allied Battery makes one. That's where several of us have gotten one for Trojan T-105/125's.

Lots of discussion on the topic via this thread, which has links to other threads with pictures of the box.

https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ad.php?t=21247

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 04:57 PM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
TM uses this box and runs the vent through the side wall.

https://a.co/d/es7hHh5

Camco makes a similar one that comes with the hose and vent assembly..

https://a.co/d/7656s03

Yes, the through-the-wall vent is technically blocked when the camper is closed. Note both those boxes have a top and bottom vent. TM digs out the floor of the storage cubby with a screen underneath to nestle the box in place. They cut off the bottom outlet so it sits flat on the screen. I don’t really know how much ventilation that creates since hydrogen gas will rise upward. If you don’t care about the bottom vent here’s the box without the bottom vent. I don’t think Camco makes one that way.

https://a.co/d/hTjZuHb

You will have a helluva time running a vent through the top/roof due to the sliding bed over the top of the rear compartment storage and not to mention the cantilevered folding mechanism of the roof. Also keep in mind that moving the battery/ies to the rear will mess with the balance of the trailer since you are reducing tongue weight.

https://a.co/d/4sdiOOY

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Shane. I had the 2, 6V, GC@ batteries also. I used the box from allied and it came with a flat top. I cut a 6" square out of the top of the old factory box (which included the vent). I drilled a 2" hole in the new box top and glued & pop-riveted the cut out piece (from the old box top) to the top of my new box.

I think the reason that TM puts in a top and bottom vent was to encourage some circulation and eliminate and low pressure areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3630.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	4.49 MB
ID:	21674  
Old 02-08-2023, 12:07 AM   #8
larsdennert

I've towed both a 2720 that had batteries in the front and the 2720sl that had them in the back. I preferred how the sl tows.
larsdennert is offline   Reply With Quote