TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2022, 10:16 PM   #1
coralcruze

Default Breakaway switch wiring

So as I check over as many systems on my 2005 2720 I am wanting to check the wiring of my break away switch. The breakaway switch is connected the way I recieved it from the previous owner and I am guessing it's still factory. I know if I pull the pin out it's supposed to engage the wires. BUT want to be sure that it's wired correctly. So at a glance both black wires off the back of the breakaway run to the back of the refrigerator and I think connect to the 7 pin extension. I would think that the power cable from the breakaway should go directly to the battery on the tongue of the TM. But does not.

Can anyone confirm the wiring connections to the breakaway switch so I can trace where this is connected?
coralcruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 04:45 AM   #2
Shane826
TrailManor Master

It is wired to the 12V power circuit of the Bargman 7 pin connector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AFF4C695-1A14-4189-B745-6B86439A6BEF.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	21396  
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 07:04 AM   #3
coralcruze

Thank you @Shane826 but there are two wires coming off the back of the breakaway box going tonthe ref.

I guess I was asking If someone can trace if both of thier breakaway wires go to the ref. area on thier TM which can easily be done even with the TM closed. That's where I am seeing both of my wires go.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:39 AM   #4
jagizzi
Site Sponsor

For some reason that I was not able to figure the power wire goes into the ref area and then is routed all the way back to the battery connection at the Power Center. It made no sense to me so I changed it to connect to the front battery string.
jagizzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 11:00 PM   #5
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Look at the schematic. It shows both wires coming off the breakaway switch, 12VDC power on one side and the brake circuit on the other. Both those circuits are accessible behind the fridge. I guess I don’t know what you’re asking.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 06:19 AM   #6
coralcruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
Look at the schematic. It shows both wires coming off the breakaway switch, 12VDC power on one side and the brake circuit on the other. Both those circuits are accessible behind the fridge. I guess I don’t know what you’re asking.
The schematic is cut off so I can't see that it goes to the ref. here. What I was asking is if the power switch should be going directly to the battery instead? Seems a bit convoluted the way its wired from factory. Unless I am not thinking of some reason why it should NOT be? I was also asking for confirmation if others agree and seems jagizzy does. Seems that a critical piece of equipment like this should be minimized in other failure points.
Old 09-10-2022, 06:25 AM   #7
coralcruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagizzi View Post
For some reason that I was not able to figure the power wire goes into the ref area and then is routed all the way back to the battery connection at the Power Center. It made no sense to me so I changed it to connect to the front battery string.
Yeah exactly what I thought when I saw that the 12v power wire gets routed to the back of the ref. I figured it then goes to the converter box. strange!!! I belive that most RVs are wired directly to the battery for power on the breakaway. Thank you for confirming what I was seeing. Just seems a Device like this should be connected directly to power at the battery since it lives upfront right next to the battery box. Even if your battery box is moved to the back utility closet I would thinknshould be hooked up direct to battery.
Old 09-12-2022, 03:59 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcruze View Post
So as I check over as many systems on my 2005 2720 I am wanting to check the wiring of my break away switch. The breakaway switch is connected the way I recieved it from the previous owner and I am guessing it's still factory. I know if I pull the pin out it's supposed to engage the wires. BUT want to be sure that it's wired correctly. So at a glance both black wires off the back of the breakaway run to the back of the refrigerator and I think connect to the 7 pin extension. I would think that the power cable from the breakaway should go directly to the battery on the tongue of the TM. But does not.

Can anyone confirm the wiring connections to the breakaway switch so I can trace where this is connected?
On the 2720, the battery is in the front. The break-away switch gets it's power from the trailer battery (NOT the tow vehicle). One side of the switch should go directly to the battery (with a 40A inline circuit breaker at the battery) on the 2720. That other side should go the brakes wiring. How you get there matters little. If that wire goes to where the blue wire in the Bargman cable connection at the fridge, so be it. If it goes directly back to the brake wiring, that's good too.

The way to test it is to lift one wheel off the ground, pull the pin out of the switch and that wheel should lock up. Put the pin back in and the wheel should be able to turn. Be sure to test both sides.
Old 09-12-2022, 04:07 PM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
It is wired to the 12V power circuit of the Bargman 7 pin connector.
I think that wiring diagram was merely intended to show the color codes for wiring a 7-pin connector. Why they put the break-away switch in that diagram makes little sense and may have people thinking that the switch gets it's power from the Bargman cable.

On models with the battery in the rear, the break-away switch is powered from the controller panel which gets it's 12V from the trailer battery.
Old 09-12-2022, 04:12 PM   #10
coralcruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
On the 2720, the battery is in the front. The break-away switch gets it's power from the trailer battery (NOT the tow vehicle). One side of the switch should go directly to the battery (with a 40A inline circuit breaker at the battery) on the 2720. That other side should go the brakes wiring. How you get there matters little. If that wire goes to where the blue wire in the Bargman cable connection at the fridge, so be it. If it goes directly back to the brake wiring, that's good too.

The way to test it is to lift one wheel off the ground, pull the pin out of the switch and that wheel should lock up. Put the pin back in and the wheel should be able to turn. Be sure to test both sides.
@Wavery Absolutely great advice as always. knew it didn't seem right when I looked at it. Will def. run the test next time. Oddly enough when I pull the wheel I can hear the breaks are engaged but if it's wired to the Tow vehicle in the event it separates than it will not have power to engage the breaks.