TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2023, 10:07 AM   #1
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Electric slide maintenance and repair

The South Dakota factory is installing an electric extend/retract mechanism on models with slides. I have one, and I pretty much love it - no real issues. However, my doom-and-gloom side says that any mechanism will eventually fail, and always at the most inconvenient moment. I queried Adam at the factory about what to do if it wouldn't slide. He responded that from underneath (lying on my back on the ground), a 5/8" wrench would drop the one bolt that attaches the motor to the slide, and it would slide by hand. I felt better.

Later, I asked him how to lube the mechanism - geartrack, chain, whatever. He replied that they make the slide assembly themselves and it shouldn't need lubing. I'm not so happy with that answer. First, the front end of the mechanism (the motor) lives in an opening cut out of the lower skin, and is exposed to road grit and grime. Second, if they make it themselves, I can't go to the manufacturer for instructions or help.

So it occurred to me to install a removable cover over the hole in the skin, in hopes of keeping grit out. But at 20,000 miles, it is a bit late. I would like to clean it first.

And I would really like to find out how to get access to the entire length of the mechanism so I can clean it and lube it.

Bottom line - I am looking for anyone who has experience with this slide-out mechanism. There must be some of you out there.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 05:19 PM   #2
cRay60

They are correct lube will attract what you don't want
cRay60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 05:43 PM   #3
Darrowman

I don't if it will help you or not, but here are some pictures we took at the factory a month or so ago. The bolt head is not showing, but it's the one closest to Adam's knuckle. This is removed from below so that the motor assembly plate can rotate away from the track shown in the other two pictures.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk