TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #1
Nikkira

Default Crack in grey water holding tank

Our grey water tank has a crack in it that is dripping water. What is the recommended way to seal this?
Nikkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:23 PM   #2
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Well, ya' gotta ask yourself: "Am I feeling lucky?".

My first try would be with some kneadable epoxy or the equivalent to the "steel" sticks. I have used the kneadable steel sticks very successfully for many projects. The drawback to a rigid fix, though, would be that the tank likely flexes as you add water. That may break the bond. Or not. If it is made for the same type of plastic, it may bond very well.

Since that should be an inexpensive fix, I would try it first. Extend it at least an inch beyond the crack, so it has lots of opportunity to grip the tank.

Good luck!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:13 PM   #3
Bowfreak

Default Fix

I went through the same issue. After doing a lot of searching I found a product called Plasti-mend. It works great.

I had about an 18" crack right in the middle of those valleys in the tank. Drilled a hole at each end of the crack to keep the crack from growing. Cleaned everything with the cleaner provided with the kit. Put a coat down, put a layer of the fiberglass screen mess provided, and then another layer. After it dried I did a couple more coats.

The next day I grabbed a piece of angle and ran it across the bottom of the tank and made hangers to attach it so the tank doesn't flex when it gets loaded with grey water.
Bowfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:51 AM   #4
klpauba

Soon after buying my used TM, I lost a street side wheel on a turn (wheel nuts must have put on too tightly which stripped the threads -- or cheap nuts -- an came off under load). It took out the plumbing.

I repaired the grey water tank successfully by using a circular saw to get a bunch of ABS shavings from a purchased pipe that I mixed with Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK). Slopped the paste on the broken connection to the tank. Five or six coats took care of it. Not a drip in two years.
TM: 2005 2720SL -- lift kit, 15" Maxxis, LEDs, Husky ejack, GenPro soft start, 2300W gen, "H-Bridge", 1.44 cf Edgestar frig/freezer, 2xGC2, 1KW Inverter w/auto xfer switch, Trimetric Batt Monitor, 300W Solar (1 glass & 2 flex panels), EP Solar MPPT, Thetford Curve
TV: 2021 F-150 PowerBoost XLT Hybrid -- 7.2 kW Onboard Generator Option
Previous TV: 2012 Traverse -- "Stockton" 24V Boost Device

Map of where we've camped in our TM:
http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/IAMNMONEsm.jpg
klpauba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:14 PM   #5
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

I had a leak at my grey tank and what I did was get some black ABS pipe grind off a bunch of the abs into small pieces then I mixed those pieces of abs shavings into a jar that i put the black medium abs glue in and made a thick paste , I mean a thick paste , just not so thick that you could not spread it. The abs glue will actually melt the abs shavings you made and will then fill holes and mend leaking abs joints. JUST CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN the tank where the repair is to be made. I used 80% rubbing alcohol it might have been even stronger scrub that area very well. then apply your mixture with a disposable small paint brush and force it into any cracks , let that first coat dry overnight, then do it all over again the next day. you can do this up to 3 times.
IT WORKS WELL. You will need another paint brush, I got mine at a hobby shop

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:28 AM   #6
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Great ideas with the shavings and glue!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:54 AM   #7
Nikkira

Thanks for all the great ideas! My husband was wondering about making some sort of brace for the tank so it didn't have so much pressure on it. I'll have to show him this thread.
Nikkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:55 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowfreak View Post
I grabbed a piece of angle and ran it across the bottom of the tank and made hangers to attach it so the tank doesn't flex when it gets loaded with grey water.
I have not experienced this problem, so take this comment with a grain of salt.

The bottom of the tank is a BIG flat surface. Even with the stiffener grooves molded into it, I would expect a certain amount of flexing, especially if you tow with the tank partially or fully loaded. Most likely it was flexing that caused the problem in the first place. The idea of the angle iron brace makes a lot of sense to me. Of course you would pad the iron with a rubber strip (old inner tube from beside the road?) so that it does not abrade the tank.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:02 PM   #9
Bowfreak

Exactly. The crack was right in the middle where it flexed the most. And the more grey water the more it flexed and you could see the gap expand.

And yes I took a strip of horse stall mat and put it between the angle and and the tank to keep the metal from rubbing the tank. It was a pretty easy modification. Just need a drill, angle, bolts, the rubber mat, and some self tapping screws. Probably took less than 30 minutes total to cut the metal, mat, and install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I have not experienced this problem, so take this comment with a grain of salt.

The bottom of the tank is a BIG flat surface. Even with the stiffener grooves molded into it, I would expect a certain amount of flexing, especially if you tow with the tank partially or fully loaded. Most likely it was flexing that caused the problem in the first place. The idea of the angle iron brace makes a lot of sense to me. Of course you would pad the iron with a rubber strip (old inner tube from beside the road?) so that it does not abrade the tank.

Bill
Bowfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:19 PM   #10
Joesplace

My tank was split 18" long down one side from a 2X4 that was on the road. I followed the video below and fixed mine for under $10 two years ago and it hasn't leaked one drop. Really - it worked for me . . .

Sounds like what everybody is talking about but here's the video.
Joesplace is offline   Reply With Quote