TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-15-2016, 12:38 AM   #1
bebotx

Default Thetford Electra Magic chemical question

From the "What It's Worth Department" I'm a pretty happy user of the Thetford Electra Magic recirculating toilet for 11 years and this is my two cents worth.

Every time I charge the EM I add 8 oz. of blue CampaChem (the one with formaldehyde) and a capful of liquid Calgon and flush well. Then flush some more. I prefer to leave the CS with a freshly charged toilet and chemicals so the clean mixture can churn around on the drive home.

We subscribe to the full-service #1 and #2 philosophy for our TM toilet. After almost every flush, we spritz the bowl with a product called Nature's Miracle Urine Destroyer, which is a product for neutralizing pet odors. I discovered the stuff when my geriatric cat started having litter box misses. This stuff instantly kills any lingering fragrance left in the bowl from the recirculated flush liquid. I think Nature's Miracle has a mild pleasant and light scent. I keep a small spray bottle under the bathroom sink and a little goes a long way. Two or three spritzes does the trick.

We live and camp in Texas so the liquid in the EM is subjected to a lot of hot, hot weather. All things considered, I think the recirculating toilet is the best solution for our needs. Most of our camping is at state parks or other locations without sewer hookups.

If we don't have sewer hookups, we dump our toilet into a blue tote and haul it to the dump station so we can rinse, charge, and add chemicals before closing up.

I would like to know what any of the chemical engineer or technical types on this forum think about the ingredients in Nature's Miracle and any possible adverse effects they might have on the toilet innards. The manufacturer lists the active ingredients as enzymes, "oxygen boosters," and isopropyl alcohol, in that order. Probably all of the alcohol evaporates in the bowl between flushes and I'm only talking about 2-3 mist-like sprays per flush.

I've been using it after almost every flush for 6 months. That's approximately 20 days of moderate use for 2 people. So far no problems and if you didn't know there was a toilet in the trailer, you wouldn't guess by smell.

Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated

Betty
1976 "Vintage" Munroe Crusader 11' TT in New Zealand
bebotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:51 AM   #2
davlin
TrailManor Master

Betty,

We were "happy campers" for 19 years with the Electra-magic (two different TM's). Also in Texas. Also used the blue Campa-chem. We did not use the "spritzer" you described, but never had issues with smell. The only smell we ever had from our toilet was the deodorant smell of the campa-chem, which was completely eliminated by keeping the lid closed. You HAVE to keep the lid closed on the Electra-magic when it's not in use.

I don't see how the Nature's Miracle could have any adverse affect on the pump seals or plastic of the toilet. It's designed to hold up to the chemicals that are recommended for it, and the amount you're using doesn't sound significant.

If you're towing the TM with the toilet charged, you will need to retain the vinyl "skirt" to prevent contents from sloshing out of the toilet. The skirt is notorious, however, for preventing complete flushing of solids, and many of us removed it. I made a plastic wrapped soft "plug" I could push down in the throat of the toilet when I had to travel with contents...which was very rare.

Glad you like your Electra-magic; many of us do.
2013 F150 w/5.0 V8
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:12 AM   #3
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

We use the blue campa clean also, nothing else. Removed the vinyl skirt a couple of years ago and get no splash out. #1 only no solids of any kind.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:46 AM   #4
bebotx

Yes we keep the lid closed too when not actively engaged with the toilet, and the skirt is intact. The slight aroma I refer to is the thin residue of flushing liquid which is not bad, but if I can totally eliminate it and replace it with a good smell then I'm an even happier camper!

Thanks for your feedback . The main reason we like our Thetford is because I've learned much helpful insight from this forum.

Betty
1976 "Vintage" Munroe Crusader 11' TT in New Zealand
bebotx is offline   Reply With Quote