TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2004, 03:22 PM   #1
EPICSDUDE

Default Awning Repair

I was camping last night when a squall line came through and blew my awning up over the top of my TM. When I pulled the awning back down, it came loose from the TM and fell onto a propane bottle with a distrubtion post attached. It punched a hole into awning, about 12-18 inches long. Does any body know of a way to repair the awning short of using Duct Tape? I can reattach the awning mechanism back on the TM, but I would like to salvage the awning fabric if possible.

Thanks for any ideas!!!!!! ???
Old 02-23-2004, 04:12 PM   #2
mamabear

Default Re:Awning Repair

HI,

Do you have any canvas repair shops or upholstry(sorry about spelling) shops in the area? They may be able to sew a new piece over the hole. They have heavy duty sewing machines that can sew thru anything.

Hope this can help,
mamabear ;D
Old 02-23-2004, 05:22 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I would avoid duct tape or its kin. I think that when you wind the awning up, the tape will tend to slither around a bit, leaving a gooey mess on the taped surface AND on the surface that it rolls against.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 06:22 PM   #4
EPICSDUDE

Thanks for the info! I agree about not using the Duct tape. I guess that was a male reflex. Duct tape and baling wire can fix anything ;D I read a thread on another site about Home Depot has a patch kit for vinyl. I might look into it.

This has to be a common problem that campers have to to deal with. Not only wind damage but tree limbs falling onto the awning and other things.

Does anyone know where to buy the little latches that the lower support arms attach to the TM? They broke also!

Thanks
Epicsdude!!!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2004, 06:54 PM   #5
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

First thing the dealer told me during the demo (it wasn't really the dealer, it was Denny who works for the dealer) was NEVER leave the awning up unless you are sitting under it. He said most of the TM is "hell for stout" but the awning is a "delicate little flower."

I hesitate to repeat the language on our G-rated site, but remember being struck by his eloquence. Anyway, he said never at nignt, never while you are gone. And even if you are sitting under it, it's not a bad idea to attach some corner tie down straps to ground augers. He spoke at length about the potential havoc from the sudden afternoon wind gusts in the Rockies, and I can't disagree. I also think you're right about using vinyl patches vs. duct tape or other stop-gap solutions. But if you decide to use the duct-tape will you post a picture so we can have a chortle at your expense?

Something else I have learned to check is the caulking around the fairing at the ends (but especially the forward end) of the awning. These are plastic parts that harden and crack with age, as does the goop in the cracks. When that happens, rain, wash water or other moisture can penetrate the entire length of the awning and make a real mess of the bottom six-eight inches. Even if you haven't had the awning out, I recommend unrolling it a couple of feet to check it prior to storage.
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 07:16 PM   #6
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Just another suggestion about awnings: Never leave your camper without one end of the awning tilted so it's anout 6 inches lower. This way incase a rain storm comes up, the water will run off the lowered end and will not cause the awning to collapse.

We lost an awning on our Coleman Plantation way back in 1990 due to not lowering the one end. We left to do some errands, and I never thought about lowering the one end since it was such a bright sunny day. We came back 1 hour later and found our awning ruined. A severe rain storm came up while we were gone, and you know the rest of the story.

I learned the hard way. We never go to bed or leave without tilting the awning. I don't care what the weather predictions are.

Bob Strong
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 07:18 PM   #7
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Epicsdude, Check out the Fiamma Web Site:
http://www.fiamma.it/usa/index_usa.html
You need parts for a model F-45 Plus.
MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 09:33 PM   #8
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

[quote author=EPICSDUDE link=board=2;threadid=1701;start=msg12012#msg12012 date=1077585739]
Thanks for the info! I agree about not using the Duct tape. I guess that was a male reflex. Duct tape and baling wire can fix anything ;D I read a thread on another site about Home Depot has a patch kit for vinyl. I might look into it.
[/quote]

I risk being racously derided by the flock of observers gathered round this thread! Oh well. I just finished perusing my new Good Sam "Highways" mag - and their Tip of the Month is ATOMIC TAPE! I kid you not.

It comes off of a roll, like vinyl tape, and once applied is permanent. Comes in white, black and red. Its qualities are as follows:

Withstands 700 psi / insulates 8,000 volts per layer / stands up to 500 F heat.

It comes in a 1" wide roll, backed by a clear plastic film to prevent the tape from touching. This is necessary since the tape is self bonding and forms a permanent seal in just a few minutes. Uses include (but, not limited to) bundling wires and hoses, general repairs and insulating tools, sealing almost anything wich leaks, etc.

Cost - $24.99 + S/H for one black and one white roll.

See it at: http://www.atomictape.com/

Author of the Tip said he just jumped ship from duct tape to ATOMIC TAPE.

Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 08:01 AM   #9
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Did the author say what part of Oklahoma he was from?
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 08:56 AM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Actually, I wonder if Atomic Tape might make a good rub strip. Many of us have found that the rear-most seal under the roof of the front shell rubs the paint off the top of the rear roof. I now have a nice 2" wide bare aluminum strip running the entire width of the trailer. Stylish!

I e-mailed the TM factory about getting some rub strip (or at least a recommendation for finding some), but they never responded. It was about the time they were losing Jimmy, so they had more on their minds. Still, I'd like to do something about this problem.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote