TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #1
fourteener

Default Awning Fabric

Everyone,

I have an issue with my awning, and spent 4 hrs attempting to fix this past weekend with no solution. It is a 2-part questions/finding, but the overall subject is wrinkles/folds in my awning that are causing hairline cracks.

I have these two wrinkles/folds in my awning that form a 'V'. (See Attachment for a rendering of how they look.) I'm not sure what is causing them. My first thought was that I'm going to need to replace this in the next couple years, and then I though why don't I attempt to reinforce it so that I can make it 2-3 more years prior to replacement. It appears that the awning has been forming these wrinkles for some time, and with it rolled up in this manner, the wrinkles are now forming hairline cracks.

1) This past weekend I cleaned the awning, and bought some Camco awning repair tape. As suggested on the back I prepped the awning by cleaning and then scrubbing with alcohol. The ironic thing, is the awning repair tape would not stick? Wondering if anyone else has had this issue. It seems that Fiamma Awnings are made so slick that the tape couldn't even stick. Following a run to local big box hardware store I tried Gorilla clear repair tape that is labelled for awnings. This stuff sticks and the label stated that with time it will form a better bond.

2) Then I thought if I can get this thing to roll up flat (without the wrinkles) it should last for some time yet. The problem is I could not get it to roll back into the case without the wrinkles. I tried adjusting everthing. Adjusting the roller (door end), shock/extending arm adjustments, placing extra tape in various locations, and lubing the awning, etc. Nothing seems to work.

Has anyone else had this issue? Are there any recommended fixes? Is this one of those 'the damage is already done' events? What is the cheapest fix for the future replacement I'm looking at? Does the Car Show do awning repair?

Thanks Again TM Forum Team!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Camper Awning.pdf (41.6 KB, 63 views)
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Upgrades - Lift Kit with 15" Tires/Rims/Spare & Rack,
Mud Flaps, Blue Tote Caddy, WDH Bar Holders,
Custom Outside/Chassis-mounted Tool Box,
Stove Cover, Bathroom Tension Self,
Outside Speakers, Fresh H2O Deck Plate,
100 Watt Portable Solar Panel, Shower Mod,
Over-wall TV mount - - (The fun never ends :-)
fourteener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Have you tried rolling it up while having a person on each side of the awning pulling/stretching the fabric outward from the center at the same time? Just a thought.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Have you looked here? http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=8737

The wrinkles could be caused by a warped outrigger.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote