TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-22-2003, 06:17 AM   #1
dennisu

Default thetford electra magic rv 80

just returned from another weekend outing and have a problem. upon preparing to leave the campground, my wife pulled the slide on our toilet and the rod pulled but did not release the liquid (we use the toilet for liquid only). it appears that during our travel the full 7 gal water container that i "used" to carry in the bathroom fell over and hit the handle and broke the ez slide. the handle pulls just like normal but no release on the liquid.

have ordered the slide and associated parts from thetford since the quickest i could get it fixed at a former trailmanor dealer was december 17(!). has anyone pulled the stool and what am i in for. any tips. i have taken off the moulding at the bottom and it looks pretty straight forward but i have been there before. since it will not dump, luckily we used it for liquid only and i have a siphon pump that worked great, if anything involved in working on a toilet can be great! my biggest concern is the amount of liquid that may leak out of the tank upon pulling it and the mess that it may cause.

any tips will be appreciated for my next weeks project.

dennis
Old 10-22-2003, 09:31 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:thetford electra magic rv 80

Thetford shows a pretty good exploded view of the toilet at
http://www.thetford.com/pdf/12840.pdf - see Figure 2.
It looks like the toilet is bolted to the floor with just two bolts, accessible from under the seat. And the EZ slide is attached to the underside of the toilet with half a dozen screws. What is not clear is how the EZ slide is attached to the plumbing beneath the floor. It appears that it is like a house toilet - a press fit into a large gasket or O-ring.

There is more good info, including disassembly diagrams, at http://www.thetford.com/permanent_el...gicservice.cfm

I can only suggest that you build a dam of towels around the toilet before you lift it.

When you have done the deed, how about posting the answers here? You can be our guinea pig!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 10:27 PM   #3
dennisu

Default Re:thetford electra magic rv 80

after returning from a long weekend in oklahoma city, the parts to fix my thetford had arrived. for whatever reason, and i am not sure why, the toilet ez slide started to work again. i can only reason after looking at the replacement parts that the rod that pulls the slide became dislodged from the track that it is in when the weight of the water can hit it, and that either due to rough roads or just plain good luck the rod "fell" back into place and works fine now.

i will say that after starting to go the replacement route i think removal of the toilet was going to be a little more difficult that i first thought. the bottom moulding around the toilet legs is attached with four screws only three of which are accessible due to the toilet sitting almost up against the shower/tub. anyway for once i seem to have caught a break and i am feeling very fortunate, if it lasts.

dennis