TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
TM_Matt

Default TV Mount - Show Me Your Hooks

I decided to make my own LCD mount to hang a small 19-22" LCD TV over the bathroom wall. I saw a few threads on here but some didn't have pictures for inspiration.

My main problem is - what kind of hook should I get? It should be non-marring, and secure enough to hold a TV of the size.

My vision is to use two hangers suitable for hanging over the bathroom wall, held together with a a piece of 3/4 cabinet grade ply with an LCD mount (hopefully articulating but that seems to be asking a log) securely attached to that.

I've been to two Home Depots and I can't find anything that says "this is the perfect mount". What say you? Photos are especially helpful.

The local TM dealer has a prefab version for about $80 but I'm hoping to come in well ahead of that.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

I set mine up like MudDog did accept I changed location for living area mount to opposite wall

? About Interior Walls

There are many other threads that did have pics though if they are still there for different mount ideas.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
TM_Matt

I saw that but I'm nervous to drill. On looking at the explanation it doesn't look too bad. In another thread I saw someone used rain gutter hooks? I think I'll go ask the folks at HD if they have 'em.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM_Matt View Post
I saw that but I'm nervous to drill. On looking at the explanation it doesn't look too bad. In another thread I saw someone used rain gutter hooks? I think I'll go ask the folks at HD if they have 'em.
It is very easy as long as you have correct drill bit & it has worked well. We use the one in the front half for the bed area & it can also be rotated around to the living area. Our 3023 didn't have room for a frame system but did have room for both TVs to fit with a towel wrapped around them for cushioning/protection.

I purchased the mounts on eBay & did cut the cord holder off also but it has been the best way to mount the LCDs IMO over any way I have read about here. MudDog is a friend & AWESOME with ideas.

P.S. you would want to be careful not to drill all the way thru the walls though which you could do if not careful.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #5
ottfour

Quote:
I decided to make my own LCD mount to hang a small 19-22" LCD TV over the bathroom wall. I saw a few threads on here but some didn't have pictures for inspiration.

My main problem is - what kind of hook should I get? It should be non-marring, and secure enough to hold a TV of the size.

My vision is to use two hangers suitable for hanging over the bathroom wall, held together with a a piece of 3/4 cabinet grade ply with an LCD mount (hopefully articulating but that seems to be asking a log) securely attached to that.

I've been to two Home Depots and I can't find anything that says "this is the perfect mount". What say you? Photos are especially helpful.

The local TM dealer has a prefab version for about $80 but I'm hoping to come in well ahead of that.

Here is how I did mine. I am able to move it from inside to the outside if I wish. Hope it helps.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ght=tv+bracket
Old 03-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:

My main problem is - what kind of hook should I get?
This method was pretty easy.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=4968
I used two pieces of sheet metal to form an interlocking pair of hooks. But if you are going to hang it over the bathroom wall, that is probably more elaborate than you need. A single piece, screwed to the back of the TV and bent at the top to go over the wall, should work well. The nice thing about the sheet metal is that it spreads out the load, rather than concentrating it into two small spots.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
moaboy

I used a big aluminum hook from Harbor Freight and bent it a bit and hang it over the bathroom wall.
I was lucky the holes in my tv lined up with the holes in the back of the hook.

Sorry I don't have a pic, but it is the kind of hook one would normally use to hang a water hose etc in a garage.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:35 AM   #8
Lfamof6

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017AS2P0C...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Lfamof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:39 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

TVs today are light enough that the wall doesn't require bracing like they used to. And TVs all have a 4 threaded holes in the back, in a standard rectangular pattern. These are called VESA mounting holes, and they have standard sizes called something like M-6. Not wanting to get too elaborate (or expensive), I just got 4 VESA screws to fit my TV (the hardware store even labelled the bins "VESA screws" so I couldn't go wrong). I also got a three-foot strip of 1" x 1/16" aluminum, and cut it into two 18" pieces.

Bend one end of each strip to fit over the top of the wall. Then, in the long straight part of each strip, decide on the desired height of the TV, and drill two holes to match the VESA locations. If you want to mount the TV high, be sure to leave enough room at the top to lift it over the wall without running into the ceiling. Then screw the strips onto the back of the TV.

Once you have the strips screwed on, if they are too long, just cut them to a good length.

That's it - quick, easy, and cheap. No holes in the wall, quick and easy to hang and remove the TV, no floppy articulated mount to snag as you close down the bathroom walls, and thin enough to open the door of the over-the-sink cabinet if you have one. This is very similar to the Amazon mounts in the previous post, but much cheaper. And it is easy to set it up to accommodate the ceiling height.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VESA screws.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	19658  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote