TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
modhatter

Default Tool to lower stabilizer scessor jacks

My second problem of the day in going over the Trailmanor. We went to lower the scissor stabilizer jacks that are on my unit, but the tool I thought was used to lower them was not the correct tool. I think what I have is a crank for the automatic jack. At any rate, we wound up lowering them by sticking a small screw driver in the side hole and turning them this way (after lubricating them good) This is not the way to do it I know. I also know I read about you all using a drill to put them down, but I thought you all said you used a 3/4" socket, but my memory is awful and I will have to find those posts again. At any rate a socket by itself is not going to work, so I must be wrong. But what does the tool look like to lower them manually?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
commodor47
Site Sponsor

The stabilizer crank looks similar to this:

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...e-15-0221.html

Our unit uses the "J" hook style.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The handiest tool for lowering the stabilizers is an Allen wrench (also known as a hex key) and a cordless drill. Buy a 1/4" or 3/8" Allen wrench for less than a buck, put the long end in the drill's chuck, and hook the short end through the center of the jack and out through the hole in the side. Zoom!

The cordless drill is probably not powerful enough to actually raise the TM, but if you have an 18-volt drill, you can run the stabilizers up and down a dozen times or more before a recharge is needed.

Are you sure you don't have the hand crank? It is often hidden under the mattress, or occasionally on the back of the sofa (if you have one).

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:40 AM   #4
MisterP

+1 for the Allen wrench and 18v drill. Only thing I have ever used on two TMs.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
modhatter

Thanks Commodore47 for the link and the picture. Now I know what it looks like. I couldn't enlarge picture to see end better, but it looks like it right angles a bit to be able to go inside and grab that side hole.

Bill I will look further under the mattress. I did find the awning crank there, but not the stabilizer crank. I will go out and look more thoroughly. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
Scott O

If I recall, someone on this list was recently selling a stabilizer crank should it come to that. A search would find it, assuming it is still available. But as others have suggested, a 18v drill with a 3/8" allen wrench is by far the best way to go...
Old 11-13-2010, 08:45 AM   #7
modhatter

I am going to buy some allen wrenches today. Not sure what volt my cordless drill is. Will have to look. If I don't have an 18 volt, I can always keep an eye out for some Black Friday deal on one. Thanks again.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:33 PM   #8
Critter

Please keep in mind that if you need to use your stabilizer jacks to change a tire that the 18v drill with allen wrench will probably not work. --> Mine won't, so i keep the manual crank handy just in case it is needed to change a tire or in case i let my drill battery get too low.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:56 AM   #9
Scott O

Good point Critter. An 18v drill will lift the TM a little, but if you ever need to really lift it for extreme leveling or to change a tire, you do need the handle. And since the drill uses batteries, operation is never 100% guaranteed! System redundancy in camping is a good thing!
Old 12-04-2010, 12:15 AM   #10
Harry Womack

Default jacks

I changed my jacks out to the 7500# BAL jacks with a 3/4" hex socket. They lower and raise much easier and with much less turns.
Maxxis load range E tires @ 75 PSI
2013 1500 Suburban Z71 5.3 4X4 w/
Firestone air bags inside of springs.
Not using Trail Manor now. Replaced
with 2020 motorhome
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote