TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2021, 03:30 PM   #1
JohnMD

Default Air Compressor and Pressure Recommendations

Hi all,

I am working to compile a toolkit for our new to us TM. I've read a lot on the board about monitoring the tire pressure to minimize the chance of blowout. My primary question is to see if anyone has a recommendation on a good portable air compressor. I am looking at AC/DC combos such as the one linked below. We have an inverter in our truck with AC receptacles, so a regular extension cord would suffice. Any thoughts from those who have good portable compressors is appreciated.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07W1W2V...v_ov_lig_dp_it

My second question is how to determine the ideal tire pressure for my particular 2007 3023. I am not finding any specific information in the manuals that I have.

Thanks,

John
Old 03-31-2021, 04:02 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Regarding tire pressure, what size and load rating are your tires? Load rating would likely be C, D, or E, marked as such on the tire sidewall, or perhaps as LRC, LRD, or LRE. I have LRE, and I run at 65 psi.

Regarding air compressors: I have tried numerous models that use the car's cigarette lighter outlet. The problem with these is that the cigarette lighter outlets were never designed to run 12v appliances, much less high current ones. The connection points are terrible, and while "they'll do" for phone chargers and the like, they really don't like high current, which is exactly what air compressors draw. That means either blown fuses, crappy/intermittent connections, and due to said crappy connections, heat that can damage (melt) either the plug or outlet.

Further, I also find the built quality of the ~$50 range of compressors to be terrible. Lots of plastic in places that carry high air pressure, which should be metal, and that's particularly an issue if you are inflating higher load rating tires, like LRE.

So, as much as it is convenient to plug in to the cigarette outlet at the rear of your TV to then inflate the TM tires, it's not a good choice, IMHO. And I've even used an adapter that converts the Bargman plug to a cigarette outlet. What you want is something with good alligator clips that attach directly to the TV battery posts, and a long hose(s) that will reach the TM tires.

I have had this one for 5 years, and use it about every other month.
https://www.amazon.com/40047-400P-RV.../dp/B004B68XGC

It's fast, very durable, has excellent build quality, and is no where near in the same ballpark as the $50 compressors. With the included coil hoses, I have no problem reaching the TM tires, even when the TM is not hitched and maybe 5 feet behind the TV.

When you're in the boonies camping, or on the side of a road needing to put on your spare only to find it's only at 30 psi, you need something you can rely on. It's different from most people, who just need to top off their tires occasionally while at their house.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:51 PM   #3
JohnMD

Dave,

Our truck's inverter is rated at 440 watts, so I think it would be okay. However, your point about getting something cheap and unreliable was my original concern. I see that Viair makes a less expensive model that may be a decent alternative for only $67 on Amazon. I originally thought it would be nice to have AC/DC plugs for versatility, but at home I have a larger compressor I can plug in and use.

https://www.amazon.com/Viair-00088-8...-search&sr=8-3

Regarding the tires, they are ST225/75R15 listed as "load range E." The tires were new last year and I think the sellers said they also kept them at 65psi. I feel like I've seen that number in several threads, though I know some people tweak the pressure in different conditions. I just wasn't sure if there was a more specific recommendation for the tire pressure determined by particular model/weight.

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:05 PM   #4
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMD View Post
Dave,

Our truck's inverter is rated at 440 watts, so I think it would be okay. However, your point about getting something cheap and unreliable was my original concern. I see that Viair makes a less expensive model that may be a decent alternative for only $67 on Amazon. I originally thought it would be nice to have AC/DC plugs for versatility, but at home I have a larger compressor I can plug in and use.

https://www.amazon.com/Viair-00088-8...-search&sr=8-3
I have one kind of like that. The advantage of these "aligator clip" models is the fact that they can go considerably above the max current of most "cigarette socket" connectors, without melting the socket or losing Voltage. I just connect mine to the TV battery using a jumper cable, or to the TM battery bus terminals with a 10-AWG (30A-capable) waterproof port which created in my TM, wired through the floor and sealed against road spray. If the body of the pump gets too warm, be sure to give it a break for a few minutes.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:28 PM   #5
Texastrailerguy

Default cordless air compressor

Have you thought about a cordless unit. We use a yellow(make) 1/4" impact gun for the stabilizer jacks. A plus with that is you can change bits for other jobs also, but you have to be careful not to get carried away on the trigger. We also have a cordless air compressor that uses the same battery. Just food for thought.
Texastrailerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:47 AM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

If you do end up choosing to get one with alligator clips that attach directly to the battery posts, keep in mind the distance required from the engine compartment to the TM tires, particularly if you want to to use it in that setting without pulling the TV right up next to the TM tires. That Viair unit you referenced has a 10-ft cord and a 16-ft hose, and that will probably be really close. Don't forget to account for the length required to get from the engine compartment to the ground.

If you need more length and you still want that unit, it's far better to get an extension hose than a cord.

Dave
Old 04-01-2021, 03:26 PM   #7
JohnMD

Thanks, all, for the insight. Walmart sells the Viair 300P for $165, and it comes with a 25-foot hose and 8-foot cord, so I am leaning toward that one for now. I plan to open up the Trailmanor this weekend and will do some measuring.

p.s. - I've really enjoyed checking this forum since joining and appreciate reading everyone's posts and feedback.
Old 04-02-2021, 03:16 PM   #8
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Looks good. As Rick eluded to, that unit (like mine) has a heat sink at the top of the unit for a reason. Depending on the ambient temperature and how much air you pump in a session, it can get a bit toasty, so just be careful when handling the pump (the heat sink could probably cause a slight burn in some cases) and be sure to let it cool before stuffing it back in the bag.

Dave
Old 04-02-2021, 10:41 PM   #9
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMD View Post
Thanks, all, for the insight. Walmart sells the Viair 300P for $165, and it comes with a 25-foot hose and 8-foot cord, so I am leaning toward that one for now. I plan to open up the Trailmanor this weekend and will do some measuring.

p.s. - I've really enjoyed checking this forum since joining and appreciate reading everyone's posts and feedback.
Don't forget - when the 8-foot cord is insufficient, you can use a jumper cable as an 'extender' too, as long as the clipped together "ground" and "hot 12v" ends in the middle are not allowed to touch each other. (If you always carry a jumper cable anyway.)