TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Extreme Cold Weather Camping
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2017, 06:44 AM   #1
Mainemoosepies

Default Winter camping with no electric

Hello folks! This section is pretty thin! I not only camp in the extreme cold I do so with no electric or water typically in a coleman popup hehe. We have a recently acquired a TM but I am not too experienced with how to use the plumbing. While the camper will be in a particular location for the next few months it will not always be occupied. Are there any other tips for keeping the grey water from freezing? I am mostly concerned about the potty. I have an old porta potty that has been modified as an outhouse but it sure would be nice to use the one in the camper! I read in one thread someone used a salt solution. Could that be used in the recirculating toilet? Would it dry out the seals? Items we typically have with us is a buddy heater and generator. I really have no intention of using running water just the potty but I don't want to chance having the tank freeze. Primative camping in the cold is not new to me however in a a TM camper is...so any tips would be welcomed.
Mainemoosepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:18 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I haven't done it, but I would be very skeptical of leaving water in either the black or gray tank (be sure you know the difference) when the trailer won't be heated. Can you drain the tanks before you turn off the heat and leave?

By the way, the black and gray tanks will be hard to drain, because the slide valves will freeze shut. This won't hurt them, but you won't be able to open them. A hairdryer will thaw them, though slowly.

Hadn't heard the idea of using the salt solution, but I would be worried about corroding things like the circulating pump's impeller in the toilet. And if the liquid in the toilet freezes, it would bind up the pump, and you might cause damage if you try to run it before it thaws out.

I suppose you could use RV anti-freeze, about 50/50 mix for a Maine winter. It is not expensive, but it does leave you with more liquid to lug out.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:15 AM   #3
Mainemoosepies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I haven't done it, but I would be very skeptical of leaving water in either the black or gray tank (be sure you know the difference) when the trailer won't be heated. Can you drain the tanks before you turn off the heat and leave?

I honestly don't know the difference. Time to do some research

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Hadn't heard the idea of using the salt solution, but I would be worried about corroding things like the circulating pump's impeller in the toilet. And if the liquid in the toilet freezes, it would bind up the pump, and you might cause damage if you try to run it before it thaws out.

I suppose you could use RV anti-freeze, about 50/50 mix for a Maine winter. It is not expensive, but it does leave you with more liquid to lug out.
The salt was an interesting approach but I concur about the potential pitfalls. I can see why you would think my location is Maine! Need to finish up my profile I'm a Mainiac born and raised but relocated to East Tennessee about 10yrs ago so it would not be quite so cold

I would also be dumping the potty contents down the outhouse hole so I am not comfortable using rv antifreeze though that would be a great solution of I was near a dumping station. I'd be sure to empty the potty each time I departed but was not sure if that would be enough.

Thanks!

Michelle
Mainemoosepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:44 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Michelle -

I'm terrifically disappointed! As a lifelong Mainer, I was thrilled to have you aboard. There aren't many of us. Well, East Tennessee (Knoxville, maybe?) is a beautiful area. And it seldom hits 30 below, as inland Maine often does!

Black tank = toilet contents. Gray tank = everything else (sinks, showers, etc). In a TM, the gray tank is below the floor, exposed to the outside temperatures. The black tank is built into the toilet, and is inside the trailer, so it won't freeze while the bathroom is warm. The drain valves for both are outside the trailer, located at the dump hose connector behind the left wheel.

If you dump the black tank (potty contents) into a portable tank ("blue boy") each time you leave, you should be OK. Bear in mind that if the temp is below freezing, the dump valve may freeze shut, so before leaving you need to plan enough time to thaw it out with a hair dryer on your generator. But while you are in camp, do NOT leave the dump valve open so that the toilet drains directly into the blue boy. Very bad idea (Google "rv toilet black cone").

Finally, and a little off topic. We have been discussing the toilet. But beyond that, if the trailer will be unheated in freezing temperatures, you must be sure not to allow any water to get into any of the fresh water plumbing, since damage will result if it freezes. There is a "winterizing" article here - take a look through it.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...272#post139272

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:02 AM   #5
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Batteries freeze easily when they are discharged. When fully charged, they will stay liquid at lower temperatures than you are likely to encounter.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:46 PM   #6
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

+2 what bill said about the black water. There are 2 valves. One on the toilet at the bottom and one to dump one you drop the black water into the pipe.

Several of us the seal on the valve at the toilet developed a leak and it would fill the pipe without the valve being open. Its a simple fix to replace the valve seal. But you might want to fill the toilet water with both valves closed to make sure its not going to leak and fill up the pipe outside, which could freeze when using the camper. Let it sit for a day or so. Then remove the drain cover outside, put a 5 gal pail under it and open the outside large valve. It should have almost no water in it. If you have water you have a leaky seal.

Close the outside valve. Pull the valve under the toilet and go outside and open the large valve. It will come out fast so have your pail ready to catch it. You will need to shut the outside valve it because there will be more water than the 5gal pail will hold.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:26 PM   #7
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Humane urine freezes below -5F. Got down to zero camping last NOV. Greywater froze a little,but not toilet. Thawed it with hot water. Next time will use antifreeze. And valves do freeze. Hairdryers work!

2720SL The "Inator"
Tanium 600lb WDH, Atwood power Jack, 2 inch lift kit, 15 inch tires, 200W Solar, T105 Pair, Yamaha EF1000i w/ propane conversion, Tuson TSC electronic sway control, Trojan Hydrolink battery watering system

2005 Ford Expedition
Factory tow Package, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Grand Aero Tow mirrors

TRailer Valet XL
Mr_funnypuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:14 PM   #8
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

what about inhumane urine?

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
gonzo628 is offline   Reply With Quote