TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
Greywolf

Default Power Lift?

My husband and I are new to this forum and looking to purchase a new 2720sl. We are in our early sixties and wondering if the power lift option is really helpful. Has anybody used this and found it to be well worth the cost?We have been lurking on these boards and wish to thank everyone for their most helpful insights. We saw the TM at the Minneapolis camping show this weekend and think it is perfect for us. Years ago, we did a great deal of tent camping, but older bones now require some softer surfaces. We plan to use the TM for boondock camping for photography and fishing in northern MN with maybe a few longer side trips thrown in. We are concerned that if we camp in more wooded areas, we may have some problems with leveling..Thanks for any help.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
bfezel

We are in a similar age group and were accustomed to widerness camping and canoeing (i.e. Boundary Waters). The ground gets harder, wetter, and colder in direct proportion to age. We moved up to the TM and are very happy with the decision. I use a 24 volt drill with an attachment I found on the internet that fits into the crank end of the jacks. Painless and fast. I would NOT go with the power option. BTW, we plan to do the BWCAW again this Fall. We can still take the ground for a few nights.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Just to add to the discussion, I agree entirely with T_C and Bill Fezel. Power levelers are not necessary, and they are very heavy and very expensive. T_C's supply of short planks works great, and the tow vehicle does the work of side-to-side levelling, which is the heavy lifting.

However, I have to admit I am considering an electric tongue jack. Fore-aft levelling with the tongue jack is the (very) easy part of the levelling process. But to paraphrase the old German proverb, we get too soon old and too soon lazy. So I may do it.

By the way, in the interest of full disclosure, some people prefer to buy a couple sets of Lynx Levellers (aka Leggos, as T_C mentioned) to use in place of boards. I think you'll need about $40 worth if you boondock.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
Greywolf

T_C; bfezel;Bill

Thanks so much for your responses. I totally forgot about the weight issue, which was one of our deciding factors on the TM. Our TV is a 6 cyl Ford Explorer. It sounds like we can do just fine with blocks and a drill. We might check out the electric tong jack also.

We are so excited to be able to "camp" again and to be able take our two shelties with us. The Superior National Forest near the BWCA has some great rustic (outhouse, table and fire ring only - no water or garbage) campgrounds with only 1-8 sites and most on a lake. No charge and most have at least 1 or 2 sites with a parking spur of
21' or more for trailers. The area also has quite a few fee sites also, with amenities, for $10-$14. We've been restricted to renting a cabin for the past few years. Some have been very nice, but we have to plan 6 months ahead, no spur of the moment weekends and no dogs of course. Plus, the cabin rates around here have gotten very high, so we only went once a year.

Thanks again for your help. Now if the snow and ice would hurry up and melt, we can get on the road.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:12 PM   #5
shunter917
Site Sponsor

FWIW, the power tongue jack is worth every penny. I would definitely get that option. We had it and it was wonderful.
shunter917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:42 PM   #6
mike-rm-cd

GET the power tongue jack; you'll never regret it!
Old 03-24-2008, 08:13 PM   #7
larsdennert

I agree on the tongue jack. Do the power levelers have enough power to lift the TM? Otherwise they are stabalizers and not levels.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #8
RogerR

If you install a power tongue jack don't forget to put the emergency crank in your TV. An inexpensive drill and a bent rod !make great set of power lifts
Old 10-12-2008, 12:51 AM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdennert View Post
I agree on the tongue jack. Do the power levelers have enough power to lift the TM? Otherwise they are stabalizers and not levels.
I have the power levelers on our TM. They can level the trailer up to about 2-3", which will do just fine in most situations. Trust me, they are a lot more than just stabilizers. They will not lift the trailer off the ground.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:06 PM   #10
rajmoore

Where can you find an attachment for a drill to power the leveling jacks?

Thanks,

Ron
rajmoore is offline   Reply With Quote