TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2008, 05:14 PM   #1
partipim
Site Sponsor

Default Concerns With New 3023 TM Picked Up This Weekend

We just picked up our new 3023 TM this weekend. Let start out by saying we camped in the drive way this weekend to test it out, the kids had a ball and all systems worked well. It was a little drafty in a couple areas but that can be remedied. However my son found that the aluminum wall covering behind the wood cabinet above the front bed is not secure and can be pushed in. It pops in and out as if there is nothing behind it. This runs the length of the cabinet. I' m guessing this is the way it is built as the upper front portion of the camper shell is curved. My bigger worry is that I looked under the TM and on the front left (non door side) and found a large patch about 6 to 8 inches wide and 3 feet long. It was stapled and poorly siliconed to the bottom of the trailer. See attached photos. My question is - is this patch due to a manufacturing process or is this poor repair which has been performed on a brand new trailer. There is another patch on the rear (none door side) of the trailer it is much smaller and of less concern to me. None the less this is a new trailer which was a sizable investment for us. I can only hope we received a quality product which reflects our investment. I am going to talk to my dealer tomorrow but thought I might receive some helpful feedback from the forum. Thank you Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	patch1.JPG
Views:	741
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	2608   Click image for larger version

Name:	patch2.JPG
Views:	687
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	2609  
partipim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
ng2951

Are you sure it is new? I would not think that they would use silicon to bond aluminum to foam. Generally you use an epoxy and from the video I have seen of construction it looks like they are using a vacuum bagging technique.

Depending on the technique used, you would not want silicon around uncured epoxy.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The first spot - in the overhead cabinets - is normal. The aluminum in there has not been bonded in either my 2002 or my 2006 TM. I've thought about gluing it in place, but never got around to it.

I'm less thrilled about the join job you show in your photo. If it were mine, I would pull all the staples, flatten the wrinkles in the edge of the sheet, put on a bead of RTV/silicone caulk at the overlap, and screw/staple it back into place. What your photo shows is not in any way a problem, safety, structural, or otherwise - but it sure is sloppy workmanship. I think that with a very little effort, your dealer could be embarassed into fixing it for you.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:05 PM   #4
partipim
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the comments. I have to say I am really disappointed and I wish I had looked under the trailer prior to taking it home on Friday. Had I looked and saw this repair I would not have accepted the trailer. I have no idea how deep the repaired area goes into the floor. I have to tell you the reason it is not flat is because there are just loads of sealant under the patch I mean it like they scooped it in. This to me is structural issue and th floor could prove to weaker in that area depending on how deep the damage is. My wife and I choose the TM because we planned on keeping it for a long time. This patch is simply a weak link in what is supposed to be a sealed floor and which I believe could adversely impact the longevity of the trailer.
partipim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:25 PM   #5
evans27292

looks like it could have been damaged in shipment to dealer and someone tried to cover a bo bo.most i have seen are bigger pieces and only small pieces arond pipes ,water and gas.. good luck.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
LittleRhodey

Default Checked our new 2720 today

After reading your post and viewing your pictures, I checked underneath our new 2720 that we picked up on Saturday morning. It is also a 2009. I found none of the problems that you displayed, to my relief. We camped out in our driveway for the past two nights, with temperatures down to the lower 30's. The furnace did a great job, all be it loud. Aside from having a hard time remembering all the directions and advice from our 3 and 1/2 hour orientation session, we have been very happy. We have cooked using the oven and stove top, used the toilet, stocked the refrigerator and generally enjoyed ourselves. Except for the comedy of errors backing into the driveway the first time, we are very satisfied.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:55 PM   #7
davidbas

Default Not a repair

Hi,

This is not a repair, it is done at the factory to run wiring to the electrical outlet underneath the sofa. They have always done this since they built TrailManors. I use to work for a TrailManor dealer since 1996. If you have any questions you can call TrailManor and talk to Ed in cuatomer service.

David
Old 04-15-2008, 06:27 AM   #8
ng2951

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbas View Post
...This is not a repair, it is done at the factory to run wiring to the electrical outlet underneath the sofa...
I went back and looked at the photos and see what David is saying. It looks like TM was making a cheap electrical channel for the A/C. I would send the photos to Ed and see what he says.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:06 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

David wrote
Quote:
This is not a repair, it is done at the factory to run wiring to the electrical outlet underneath the sofa.
Aha! Early in 2006, I posted photos of several outlets that I installed at various locations, including the front of the couch. I like to think the factory got their idea from me. But I ran the wire along the frame member under the TM, which left it exposed to the elements. It probably makes more sense to bury it in the floor structure. Although it looks a little sloppy, it should relieve your concerns about a repair or an error.

I can find a reference to that thread, but unfortunately the thread itself seems to be missing. Here is picture of my original mod at the couch. I can repeat the pictures of the other outlets if anyone wants them [Edit: see Al's post below.] One was an improved version of the outlet to the right of the refrigerator, one was in the hallway to the right of the silverware drawer (for plugging in the microwave, mostly), and one was beside the stove at the main entry door.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Couch small.JPG
Views:	507
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	2610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Refrig small.JPG
Views:	500
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	2611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Silver drawer small.JPG
Views:	487
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	2612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stove small.JPG
Views:	484
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	2613  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #10
Al-n-Sue

Talking Electrical outlet pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
David wrote
Here is picture of my original mod at the couch. I can repeat the pictures of the other outlets if anyone wants them. One was beside the stove at the main entry door, one was in the hallway to the right of the stove (for plugging in the microwave, mostly), and the fourth was an improved version of the outlet to the right of the refrigerator.
Bill
Bill, I'd like to see your other photos. I'm thinking I need to add a couple of outlets to my TM - especially at the back near the bed - need a place to plug in that electric blanket!