TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
woodlandcottage
Site Sponsor

Red face About to say yes to our new TM!

Saw a 2009 2619 today, private seller, in very good/garage kept condition. The only issues that came up were a tiny leak around the front fan that the owner will re-caulk and it was pouring rain today to check that out, a dent/crack in the upper portion of a hanging cabinet that isn't noticeable when hung, a chip in one bit of counter edging, a broken pole to open the awning(although the awning is fine)and dirty curtains. Everything else works well. The TM has been modified with a double tow receiver on the back to hold a cargo carrier. Included in the asking price is the cargo carrier, memory foam mattress topper, waste hose props, leveling blocks and weight distributing blocks, solar panel, rooftop a/c, 2 marine batteries with hard sided battery box, 30 gallon fresh water tank, a brake controller for our TV, and a 6 month old generator that costs about $2K new.
I live in Colorado where TM's are usually priced about 30% above NADA. This is priced right around NADA(with factory extras added in of course). My hubby and I decided to call in the morning and get it. The seller will hold it for us until then.
I wanted to spend closer to $10K than $20K and I really would have preferred the 2720 with a swing hitch but I'm pretty confident that the 2619 will fit in our garage without a swing hitch and will be 98% as satisfying as the 2720 with the queen bed. The seller's seemingly fair asking price of $16K and its close distance to our home makes me want to jump on it. I've been resigned to the idea that I was going to have to travel and lose a weekend to picking up a TM far away(and of course spending money to do that)and this one is an hour away.
What I want to know is there anything else I should check for, any major, glaringly obvious things that would seem odd for a camper newbie to ask about? I have read almost all of the threads here that were posted to help with checking out a used TM but it's all so much information that I'm not sure I was able to ask and see everything essential in our hour tour. We tested everything inside and out and closed and opened the unit. We inspected the roof and underneath. The tires are two years old and the bearings were repacked this spring.
Am I missing anything crucial? He offered to let us hitch it up and tow it around the neighborhood but we don't have a ball mount yet or a 4 to 7 adapter.
I really feel like the seller is a good guy who isn't trying to pawn off a lemon on us.
So are we getting a good deal?
woodlandcottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Sounds good. I will point out what is obvious to me... A dent here, a crack here, a broken pole there? It's definitely used! Mine is an 2002 and I don't have any of those issues. When you say you checked everything out, does that mean you were able to turn on the AC and let it get cold air? Was the refridgerator cold and freezer frozen when you checked it out. Could you feel hot water from the tap at the sink when the water was run? Did all the interior lights work? Is the park 30a cord all one piece when you pulled it out of the holding area or was it spliced anywhere with a new end? Did you light the stove and oven and check for flame? The water heater works on electric and propane, did you check both modes? The refridgerator works on 12v, 110a and propane. Did you check all three modes?

Sorry for the list, but that's what I would be checking out. The guy used his TM and is ready to assist you as a buyer, but do yourself due diligence and check it out thoroughly. Any items not working properly is not a deal breaker, but can reduce the price based on repair.

This is an expensive transaction and not one to be taking lightly no matter how friendly the seller is. I would be in the $14k range. The options that are on the TM are standard options, not value added options. IMHO....

Good luck, RV

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
woodlandcottage
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the response!
You don't think a 6 month old $2K generator, marine batteries and a solar panel are value added options? Why not? Isn't any value correlated to replacement cost?
I would have put it in the $14K range too if not for all the extras he's selling with it. Being set up to dry-camp is like getting half-priced campsites isn't it?
The fridge was running on electric when we got there and was super cold and that's the only thing I forgot to check on propane as well. But was told that it worked.
This is a huge purchase and I'm already overwhelmed with everything I need to check about it. I hate buying stuff, even fun stuff. :P
Maybe we should drive up and do another run-through?
Maybe would should offer $14K without the generator?
Old 09-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Just curious...what brand and size is the generator?

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
TM Pilot

Woodlandcottage,

I viewed that very 2009 TM2619 a few weeks ago. http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/3971822915.html

I ended up passing on that unit and getting a 2007 TM 2619 that was located down in Midland, TX. My impression was that his 2009 TM2619 looked too worn for its age (my 2007 is in significantly better condition that his 2009 - so much so that I drove 1250 miles round trip to get it!). While I'm not suggesting that it's a lemon, it needed more TLC than what my wife and I have time for right now (and he didn't even have it set up to demonstrate to me that all the various systems were working!). He still owes a lot of money on the trailer and thus it has a lien. Then there were all his mods...

Used TM's for sale in good condition don't last long in CO. His has been on craigslist since July. There are reasons for that. Another question is why the unit is not on consignment with Car Show Inc.?

I recommend you go back and ask him to park the unit on level ground and demonstrate ALL systems before you offer a price. Then get specific about how you both are going to work out paying off his loan and releasing the lien in a way that can't burn you. You may find that after another run-through that what you are willing to offer is less than what he owes - especially if you're considering dropping the generator from the deal. Perhaps you should simply offer to take over his payments with generator included? Every month his unit is on craigslist is another payment he has to make.

Let us know what happens.
Thetford SmartTote 18LX
-------------------------------------------------------
2005 F150 5.4l 3V Triton V8; Maxxis Bravo H/T-770
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
RideControl by Air Lift
TM Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:53 AM   #6
woodlandcottage
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM Pilot View Post
Woodlandcottage,

I viewed that very 2009 TM2619 a few weeks ago. http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/3971822915.html

I ended up passing on that unit and getting a 2007 TM 2619 that was located down in Midland, TX. My impression was that his 2009 TM2619 looked too worn for its age (my 2007 is in significantly better condition that his 2009 - so much so that I drove 1250 miles round trip to get it!). While I'm not suggesting that it's a lemon, it needed more TLC than what my wife and I have time for right now (and he didn't even have it set up to demonstrate to me that all the various systems were working!). He still owes a lot of money on the trailer and thus it has a lien. Then there were all his mods...

Used TM's for sale in good condition don't last long in CO. His has been on craigslist since July. There are reasons for that. Another question is why the unit is not on consignment with Car Show Inc.?

I recommend you go back and ask him to park the unit on level ground and demonstrate ALL systems before you offer a price. Then get specific about how you both are going to work out paying off his loan and releasing the lien in a way that can't burn you. You may find that after another run-through that what you are willing to offer is less than what he owes - especially if you're considering dropping the generator from the deal. Perhaps you should simply offer to take over his payments with generator included? Every month his unit is on craigslist is another payment he has to make.

Let us know what happens.
Yes, this is so helpful! I thought it looked a little worn for its age too but having seen only a dozen or so units so far, and the wear being cosmetic as far as I could tell, I didn't think it was a real problem.
I can't believe it's been for sale since July and I only saw it a week ago. I check every couple of weeks for TM for sale near me. Weird. Maybe I was only checking for 2720's.
I was hoping someone here had also seen this unit though. What's sad is this was the best unit we've seen so far and by a long stretch, except the brand spanking new ones at The Car Show of course.
I spent a fairly sleepless night going over everything we saw and thinking about possible and invisible frame stress from that cargo carrier modification as well as the possibility that the finely balanced design of the trailer would be seriously compromised by putting any significant amount of weight back there. And with all the added weight from the hitch, carrier, generator, gas in it, solar panel, a/c and hanging cabinets, not only did our cargo carrying capacity in the trailer just go down by a lot but also puts us near a towing weight that starts to make me edgy considering our Highlander's 5000# rating. Also, I can't image the generator ever coming close to being worth it to us for the way we will most likely camp. It might go on 10% of our trips and run so sparingly that we'll probably forget we own it. Most campgrounds have all the hookups that we'll need. That and if I'm going to spent $10K+ on something, shouldn't I really be getting my preferred 2720 with the queen bed? This is something I would prefer to buy once and use 10 years. That's how we are with our vehicles.
The seller did tell us exactly what he owed on the trailer and how the transaction to purchase would be handled in person at his bank. So no real surprise or secrets there.
I really struggle with making big decisions like this(combination of perfectionism and miserliness)and last night when hubby went blissfully to sleep, he was under the impression that we were 100% going to buy it. He's going to be pretty disappointed if we pass on this. But realistically, we've only been seriously searching about a month now. I know he wants this part to be over so we can start camping but we wouldn't be doing much of that with the Winter coming anyway. I was 60% for and 40% against but he tends to only hear the positives and not my misgivings about anything. But in all other ways it's nice being married to a trusting optimist.
Oh, the generator is Honda 3000.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #7
TM Pilot

I also looked for months for a 2619 or 2720. Finally found a nice 2619: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=14579

Don't pressure yourselves and buy a unit for more than you want to spend and that needs lots of TLC when another unit can fall into your lap tomorrow. In my case, it was all about timing and circumstances lining up.

Have you tried searchtempest.com for searching craigslist? For example, here is a 2001 TM2720 in Billings, MT : http://billings.craigslist.org/rvs/4046334221.html
You might have to be more flexible in how far your willing to drive to buy a unit. Use searchtempest.com everyday and see what comes up.

The Car Show Inc. has a used 2011 TM2619 that we looked at: http://www.thecarshowinc.com/exotic-...37647cc8c6.htm It is in nice condition. They list it for $24K but they can be negotiated with. That would be a nice trailer for $20-21K. If the 2007 TM 2619 in Midland, TX hadn't fallen into our lap that same week we might have bought it (although we were hesitant to spend $21K). And if you buy one from them they will go through it and have everything fixed before you take it off the lot. No TLC required.

Let us know what happens today.
Thetford SmartTote 18LX
-------------------------------------------------------
2005 F150 5.4l 3V Triton V8; Maxxis Bravo H/T-770
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
RideControl by Air Lift
TM Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

PATIENCE! Don't settle! Took us six months of casual shopping and four months of intense search to find our rig. Very glad that we were patient enough to get exactly what we looking for. Drove 800 miles to get ours after looking at three other 2720's that were all within 90 minutes of home.

IMO- the best time to shop for a RV is October thru February.

Very Happy

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
woodlandcottage
Site Sponsor

Yeah, we looked at that Car Show 2619 the day it came on the lot, which was in early July. They called us in to see it and it was in worse condition, cosmetically, than the Denver one. Wall and woodwork scrapes and scuffs, chipped/broken/peeling laminate counters, upholstery and curtain stains and a general level of grime around everything. Now, these could have all been surface dirt or fixed up by Car Show since we've seen it, but my impression then was that it was probably worth closer to $17K. They never mentioned anything to us in our three visits about fixing anything after a price was agreed on. Didn't know they would do that. Interesting.
Thanks for the tempest link. I will definitely check that out!
I just talked to hubby and ran through my concerns and he agreed that we should skip this one. He'd been thinking about the weight and stress of the cargo carrier too. The search continues.....
Thanks so much everyone!
Old 09-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
gerrym51

although you are not going to find a used one

i think the new 2417ks standard is the way to go.