TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
Reyyvin

Default 'Big,' new RVer with lots of questions

My wife and I are new to RVing and are considering a TM, probably 2720 or Elkmont 24.

A little about us:

We are both in our 30's, with a small child (planning another); both of us are former truck drivers, both currently driving buses 66-70k miles per year, mostly city driving in terrible weather, so we are fine with large vehicles, safe driving, proper stopping distance, etc.

We live in Alberta, Canada, but most of our vacationing will be into the US. That means we will have to go over the mountains each time we enter or leave. We usually take our vacations in October, which means there is a chance of snow, both coming and going. We plan on sleeping/showering each night on the drive, which means traveling with water in the fresh tanks. My wife and I are both 'big people,' 550-600 lbs combined weight. With the rest of our family, figure 700 lbs for future needs. As of now, we don't yet have a TV, so we aren't limited on what we can take. While we would prefer to get a minivan (better mileage), a small to mid size SUV is also ok (we don't want a truck). We don't plan on taking motorcycles/quads, etc; just basics like clothes, food, and maybe bicycles.

As of now, we also do not currently have a garage, but plan on building one in the next 1-2 years.

1) What is a realistic tow weight to look for in a TV? I'm thinking 5k, with 6k to be safe (4100 reported wet weight + gear, 550 extra for us, plus ??). How much extra tow rating would be realistic for the mountain driving expected?

2) Would the beds in the 2720 be sturdy enough? I see the thin bars holding them up and cringe. Would an Elkmont be better?

)

3) On one of our car trips, when we stopped for the night in Sweetgrass, MT (US/Canadian border), there was heavy snowfall and we were stuck there half of a day. How well would the pop-up or the Elkmont (or any other TT), hold up in 0 to 20 degree F weather?

4) Where we live, it snows. Some years, it lasts for 6 months; others we get large dumps that last a couple weeks. How will this affect the moving parts of a pop-up?

5) Most of our trips will involve short durations in any 1 location (1 night to 3 days). On short trips (7-9 days), this would mean setting up/breaking down 4-5 times, with 9-10 times on longer trips (16 days). Is the MPG savings of the popup vs the Elkmont worth the hassle/loss of convenience? As the munchkin(s) get older, this may change, but I figure by then, we will be in the market for another TT.

6) Without hookups, how long does a 20 gal fresh water tank last? How many mins showering, how much does the toilet use when flushing, etc? How long can you run the stove/electricity (assuming no AC)?

7) Both the TT and the TV will be purchased used, and probably in the US. Which States are best to look in, price/condition wise?

8) What modifications are recommended for those of us 'living large,' and what would be a ballpark figure on cost?

Thanks for all your help! This is a great forum and I've already learned a lot!