TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2009, 07:37 AM   #1
steveb

Default leftover 2008 2720sl

I am giving serious consideration to buying a new leftover 2008 2720sl. It is equiped with all of the options I would want: ac, antenna, swinghitch, elect front jack, 2 extra cabs and the microwave box, microwave. The dealer is giving me 40% off the 2008 list. I plan on using my 2008 toyota FJ cruiser as a TV (4wd drive 5000lb tow cap.), I will be using a wd hitch with sway control (short wheelbase). Does this sound like as a decent deal and has anyone towed a TM with an FJ?

thanks
steve
Old 06-11-2009, 08:04 AM   #2
coulter

I can't address the towing issue, since I know nothing About getting a 40% discount on a new trailmanor though, if this is the model you want, then GO FOR IT! That is a great deal, and I can't imagine finding a better one.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:13 AM   #3
RogerR

We tow with a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD. After about 8.000 miles pulling our 2720 we have no problems except you 100% must have a weight distribution hitch! If you don't your front is way to high. You also need it to stop trailer sway. We don't have sway control and don't seem to need it. I am not sure of the exact comparison to the Toyota but I think they are very similar.

PS do they have another one at that price?
Old 06-11-2009, 08:23 AM   #4
Bill & Lisa

Sounds like a reasonable deal to me. I would make sure the original warranty starts upon your purchase date or maybe get the dealer to throw in an extended warranty to sweeten the deal. Since the unit has not been used there has not been an opportunity for any flaws/warranty issues to be noted. Heck, what have you got to lose by asking?
Old 06-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
Scott O

The year of the TM is not really an issue, since they don't do major model changes when changing year designations. Changes to the TM occur whenever they are needed and generally do not coincide with years. So 40% would seem to be an excellent deal. Just make sure there are no serious issues caused by it sitting around so long. I would especially be concerned with the tires, which appear to be marginal anyhow. It they sat, especially in one place, for an extended period that could be a problem. You might see if the dealer would throw in (or give a reduced price) on a 15" upgrade...
Old 06-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
kenngeri2720

Steve,
I pulled a 2009 2720SL with my '07 4Runner which is the same as the FJ with a different body on the same frame, engine and transmission. I had no problems at all and all of my towing was here in the Colorado mountains. I now have a Elkmont and now use a WDH which I did not use on the 2720. The 4runner sat level with the 2720 but I would use a WDH for the safty reasons. 40% off sounds great I don't think you could buy a used '08 for that price.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
PopBeavers

Be careful with upgrading to 15 inch wheels.

When I store my 2005 TM 2720 with 14 inch wheels in the garage I have about a quarter inch clearance. If 15 inch wheels made the top of the a/c any higher then I would not be able to park it in the garage.

I do have the factory lift kit.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:22 PM   #8
gocntry

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb View Post
I plan on using my 2008 toyota FJ cruiser as a TV (4wd drive 5000lb tow cap.), I will be using a wd hitch with sway control (short wheelbase). has anyone towed a TM with an FJ?

thanks
steve
Read This Thread http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...8033#post58033 Post #4 Has My Pics
Old 06-11-2009, 06:06 PM   #9
steveb

I would like to thank everyone for their informative and timely responses to my questions. I would like to say that while the technical answers helped in making the decision it is the warm and friendly atmosphere generated by this group that convinced me to buy, I closed the deal this afternoon and will pick the unit up in Georgia next week.
Since we sold the popup and moved to Florida I had forgotten what a great group of people the RV community is.

thanks again
steve