TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
rjhensel

Default newer vs older 2720

Currently I am looking at purchasing either a 2005 or a 1998 model..yes I realize there is 7-8 years difference between the two,,however, everything being the same as general condition, both are priced at the high end nada blue book,,will I find the performance the same? or should I shoot for the newer model and pay the 6000-7000 dollar difference?? I am not an experienced trail manor owner so I really dont know the history and details between the two years..both owners are the original owners, both claim that the trailers are in perfect condition,,the 2005 does have a swing hitch and electric jack,,so current owners give me some feedback and help me make a wise choice...i see myself camping approximately 6-8 times a year...thanks
Old 05-30-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
gerrym51

If its in good shape why not. there are some differences but basically the same.

gerry
Old 05-30-2010, 07:52 PM   #3
Al-n-Sue

Actually, there are several pretty significant differences - in design and construction. Sometime around 2003 TM started using aluminum for the shell structure instead of wood. The 98 model may be ok, but it is certainly more likely to have rotting issues if there is ever a leak. Also about 2004, they changed the rear bumper design and made the electrical cord accessible with the trailer closed. A major improvement IMHO - one I wish I had on my 2003! I believe the A/C was in the side in 98 and should be mounted on top in 05 - another significant improvement. There are lots of other minor tweaks made to the design along the way. I'd say if you have the money, the newer one will give you much longer trouble free service.

Just my .02.

Good luck. Whichever one you get, you will find much help here for your questoins. the $12/yr sponsor fee is well worth it.

Alan
Old 05-30-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
rjhensel

Default older vs newer

thanks so far with the input...
Old 05-30-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-n-Sue View Post
Actually, there are several pretty significant differences - in design and construction. Sometime around 2003 TM started using aluminum for the shell structure instead of wood. The 98 model may be ok, but it is certainly more likely to have rotting issues if there is ever a leak. Also about 2004, they changed the rear bumper design and made the electrical cord accessible with the trailer closed. A major improvement IMHO - one I wish I had on my 2003! I believe the A/C was in the side in 98 and should be mounted on top in 05 - another significant improvement. There are lots of other minor tweaks made to the design along the way. I'd say if you have the money, the newer one will give you much longer trouble free service.

Just my .02.

Good luck. Whichever one you get, you will find much help here for your questoins. the $12/yr sponsor fee is well worth it.

Alan
I agree with Alan......

We have a '98 but would love to have a 2005 and a slide model as well. There is just the 2 of us and the forward bunk gets used for grandchildren ~occasionally but mostly is just a "Catch-all".

I've heard of very few issues with wood rot in the earlier TMs but the aluminum frame is a definite upgrade. The side AC isn't as efficient as the roof AC but our 10,000BTU side AC runs easily off of our Honda 2000 generator where the roof AC does not.

Bottom line is, if the '98 is a smokin' deal......it may be worth it. However, you may be replacing it a lot sooner than if you went with the 2005. We went with the earlier model because.... 1.we got a great deal. 2.We weren't sure if the TM was going to be right for us.

Now, we know that the TM is what we want but are keeping our eye out for a 2005 or newer 2720SL. Don't get me wrong........if our '98 was an SL we wouldn't even consider selling it. We love our TM...
Old 05-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We also have an older 2720 and love it. We've had to do some work to it though, we put in the wheel-well retrofits and repaired some things that needed it (roof vent w/fantastic fan, the other one needs to still be done, replaced the TV antenna, side A/C died, we took it out & put a microwave in its place, rear bed slides). At this point the only thing that needs work is the other roof vent; in our year the TM factory used a metal riser that has since rusted out and was causing a very slight leak at the ceiling center seam. I don't like any leaks and we replaced it. We have had very few leaks in ours, one seemed to be above the side of the rear shell and a tiny bit of caulking fixed it right away. If both owners have kept up on the maintenance though, you may not have much to do.

If you don't want to do much work, you might consider the extra $$ for the newer one, but if you don't mind puttering (like we do) you might be happier with the older TM. I think the appliances in ours (except for the A/C & a sporadic bit of blue water outside the Thetford on the floor) are top-notch, we haven't had any problems at all with them, and I think that our older TM is very well built.

This website helps a lot with repairs on any year TM, we are growing in ranks since we bought ours, and there's always someone to help you here.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:31 AM   #7
Joseph

Just from having my TM these few years, learning how it all moves, how it was built, all the pros and cons associated with it, seems you would be a step ahead of the game with the 05. Might be easier to sell later should you wish to than the 98.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
Just from having my TM these few years, learning how it all moves, how it was built, all the pros and cons associated with it, seems you would be a step ahead of the game with the 05. Might be easier to sell later should you wish to than the 98.
That's for sure........I think the '97-'98 is on the threshold of being undesirable (age-wise) for the largest part of the market.

Having said that, any TM that hits the market (in most area) is pretty quick to be snatched up.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
rjhensel

Default still trying to figure it all out

Just looking for an opinion and I wont hold you to it,,but what if I could get a 98 2720 sl that is in very good shape for 4500-5000? do you think that is a value deal??
Old 06-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #10
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

To me, it's reasonable, as long as it is really clean. I saw one for sale exactly like ours nearby last summer that went for about $3K, I emailed the seller and told them I'd be by the next day and bring them cash and a truck to haul it away, but it was already sold. We were going to buy it and resell it. If it was as clean as ours, I think we could have made at least $2K on it, or more.

There are a lot of used TM's out there, but finding an older one in pristine condition is exceptional. It makes a big difference if it's in really good shape vs. beat up.