TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Solar Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2010, 08:12 AM   #21
AstroBruce

MPPT controllers work just like a converter/charger. A 45 amp charger takes 120 volts at 5.25 amps and converts it to 14 volts at 45 amps.(excluding power factor and other losses). A MPPT controller will take 24 volts at 5 amps and convert it to 14 volts at 8.6 amps. Watts in=Watts out. No magic. No smoke and mirrors.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #22
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
Wayne

Haven't tried any of those miracle inventions, but I did buy a travel trailer that folds down to about the size of a pop-up and then upon arrival at the campsite uses a counter balanced system to easily open to a full sized travel trailer. Oh yea it can also be towed by something less than a large pickup.
....Actually....that's a pretty good example....all of our "2720s" turned out to be a "2420s" ......(According to TM's brochure) "TrailManor travel trailers range in size from 26 feet (19 feet closed) to 33 feet (26 feet closed)"......funny how they come up with 26' to 33'. I only come up with 23' to 30' with my tape measure......
http://www.trailmanor.com/WebDocs/Sh...lectModel.html

....and "What do a Toyota Sienna, Honda Oddyssy, Toyota Rav4, Nissan Murano, Lexus RX and Honda Pilot all have in common?.....They can all tow a 30-foot TrailManor. Easily."
It's all provable....right here.....
http://www.trailmanor.com/WebDocs/Ca...-vehicles.html
Old 01-29-2010, 12:50 AM   #23
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I finally have the mounting done. All 4 legs and the 2 rear mounting bracket have felt pads on the bottom so that the panels can slide across the roof without scratching the paint.

We will go this weekend with temporary wiring. I will do the final installation next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SolarPanels 010.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	4263   Click image for larger version

Name:	SolarPanels 012.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	4264   Click image for larger version

Name:	SolarPanels 013.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	4265  
Old 01-30-2010, 08:17 AM   #24
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

I'm not getting exactly what you have done. I know you wanted to mount them inside . . . It looks like you got pretty creative.

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:49 AM   #25
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Malinda -

As I understand it, he has devised a very clever way of temporarily putting the panels on the roof of the rear shell. It is not a permanent installation, so he can remove them at will, and store them inside. While they are up there, the panels lie flat on the roof, and so are not particularly susceptible to wind. And since they are invisible from the ground, they are not a target for thieves. I like it. The only disadvantage I see is that the panels cannot be tilted to face south, and so do not harvest quite as much power as they would if they were tiltable.

On our last trip, I put our panels on the rear roof by simply sliding them across the roof. And I scratched the roof. Bummer. And when the wind came up, I had to weight them down with rocks on the mouting brackets, which made it difficult to open and close the shell. And when the wind got stronger, I had to remove them, and set them up on the ground, where I left them.

Overall, Wayne's approach is better.

Hope that helps, but Wayne will chime in with more detail, I'm sure.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:22 PM   #26
Wavery
TrailManor Master

We just got back from Pt Mugu and I took a pic that might help clear up the installation.

I found that these panels are quite effective on the roof. The 2nd pic shows that while the Sun was only about 10 degrees above the horizon, the panels were charging at 13.65V.

We used electricity at will all weekend. It was in the low 40's (at night) and we ran the furnace all night both nights. Brewed 2 pots of coffee with the electric coffee pot running 1200W off of the inverter for 8 minutes per brew. We also popped a few bags of popcorn in the microwave. At about 3:PM on Saturday afternoon I had to unplug the panels because the batteries were at 15V (2- Trojan T105, 6V golf cart batteries).

I had temporarily wired the panels with a 16G electrical extension cord, just for this trip. I wanted to get an idea of the true operating conditions before completing the wiring installation.

BTW, Bill....The panels are mounted on legs. I have them about 1.5" off of the roof. I put felt on the bottom of all the legs and they slide quite nicely on the roof.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:57 PM   #27
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I really hope you can come to the Pismo Beach rally because I'd like to have DH see your solar panel mounts in person. I'm not getting the idea of the longer mounting brackets' functionality. Do they somehow hook over the edge of the inside shell to prevent someone from removing them in the open, mounted position on the roof?

I really like the idea of solar power, and now that our cat has passed away we don't have to park in the shade all the time when we're dry camping.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:41 PM   #28
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
I'm not getting the idea of the longer mounting brackets' functionality. Do they somehow hook over the edge of the inside shell to prevent someone from removing them in the open, mounted position on the roof?
Yes, the brackets have to be at least 24" long so that the panels will clear the inner-rear edge of the front roof as the rear roof moves up and back.
The inner "L" brackets hook over the front edge of the rear roof.

Here's what it looks like from the inside:

Old 02-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #29
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I think I get it now, thanks for the picture!

Now I want (at least one). I checked out the ebay seller you bought from and I don't think they have any more like the one you bought. Would you mind sharing how much you paid for it, and the details?
Old 02-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #30
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
I think I get it now, thanks for the picture!

Now I want (at least one). I checked out the ebay seller you bought from and I don't think they have any more like the one you bought. Would you mind sharing how much you paid for it, and the details?
I paid $200 plus $37 S&H for each of the 80W panels that I got.

I think if you are going to get one, this may be a better deal:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It's a 100W panel for $249 and S&H is free. (**edit.....I see that the seller removed the free S&H)

He sells a lot of panels and the prices are constantly changing up & down but usually just by $10 or so. I see that he is asking $409 for the 80W panels now........kinda wierd....I don't know what's up with that.