TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2002, 02:40 AM   #1
KB7OUR

Default Window Tinting

May sound crazy, but not if you live in AZ. If I wanted to tint the windows in my TM, how do you get to the inside of the stationary screened area on each window? Do you have to remove every screw and remove the screen frame to do this?

Wade
Old 06-11-2002, 12:55 PM   #2
Chris_Bauer

Default Re: Window Tinting

Wade,

Funny you mentioned this. We just came back last week from the Rio Grande Valley and I was asking myself the same thing.  Here in South Texas it is hotter than you know what.  I think the reflective film would help quite a bit but how to work around those screens. I guess if need be I would spend the time to remove all the screws  >.  It would pay off in the long run.  I hope someone gives us an idea.  Maybe that should be a future factory option.
Old 06-15-2002, 11:46 PM   #3
oilspot

I was thinking about tinting also.

They make a "low-e" coating that applies similar to tinting.  The "e" stands for emissivity (sp?), wich is the ability to transmit heat through the glass.  They stop the heat more than the light.  Keeep it out in the summer and in during the winter.

Real "low-e" coatings are nearly invisible.  But the aftermarket styles usually have some tint to them.  Places like RealGoods (www.realgoods.com) or any solar living catalog should have it.

Let me know how it works...
Old 06-17-2002, 02:34 AM   #4
KB7OUR

The tinting part is easy. It's getting the window screens of that is the tough part. Looks like you have to remove all the screws on the frame, which I think would allow the entire window to be removed for tinting. I may remove one just to learn the process. Perhaps there is even some caulking that needs to be done upon reinstall. On the other hand, one could tint just the non-screened side since the screen does provide a bit of its own shade.

Wade
Old 06-17-2002, 11:21 AM   #5

Default Re: Window Tinting - Low Coating

Low e coatings are designed for overall heat gain.  That is, they pass solar energy in, while emitting less radiant energy to the outside.

For reducing solar gain, you're better off with tint or reflective coatings.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:24 PM   #6
oilspot

Jeober:

There are many types of coatings some of which work like you described, while others work the entire season to block heat travel (either direction).

Window Radiation Transfer

Clear glass vs. High-transmission low-e vs. Spectrally selective low-e

UNTREATED:
1 Most solar heat enters window
2 Most long-wave radiation is transmitted out window

HIGH TRANSMISSION:
3 Most solar heat enters window
4 Most long-wave radiation is reflected back by low-e coating, reducing winter heat loss

SPECTRALLY SELECTIVE:
5 Most solar heat is reflected by spectrally selective coating, reducing summer heat gain

6 Most long-wave radiation is reflected back by low-e coating, reducing winter heat loss

The graphic didn't paste well, but you can search on the internet for more information...

The stuff at Real Goods may only stop heat gain (not heat loss) but you can check it out at http://www.realgoods.com/shop/shop2....&kw=window
Old 09-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #7
colorado

i just finished tinting my tm you do have to remove the screen and frame and there is a rubber string holding the screen you pull that off and the frame part pry it slowly with screwdriver to install it snaps back in with nose pliers i used 20% tint i could have used even darker but 20% gives enough privacy,main thing is cleaning windows really good with razor lots of liquid solution <water/soap> ,had hard time with corners if thecut is not perfect ,but it looks good ,
i thought that 20 % will be to dark on inside but its not the case hope this helps
to put screen back you snap the screen frame in and get little roller for screens at home depot or lowes i used one for regular home screens to push the screenrod in here are some picks of it with the tint this is 97 so windows could be different
any ways friends i hope this helps installing tint not the easiest job buy extra tint i wasted about 3 feet at first on one window few tries

good luck

97 2518 almost finished
50watt solar ,lots done and still mods to do
o great cant put pics in ,well getting late i will take a look tommorow on how to post picks on the forum,kind of new here

any ways biggest thing is cleaning the windows any small dirt will give you air bubbles check on you tube any video you can about tinting keep wetting window and tint when sqeeging so you dont scratch the tint ,
ok got pics in with finished tinted windows
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	resized pic2.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	7838   Click image for larger version

Name:	resized pic 1.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	7839   Click image for larger version

Name:	resized pic 3.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	7840   Click image for larger version

Name:	resized pic 4.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	7841   Click image for larger version

Name:	resized pic 6.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	7842  

Old 04-25-2017, 06:11 AM   #8
b3conswj
Site Sponsor

Default window tinting

Just read this post because I am interested in tinting our windows. Was curious how the tint held up. Your 97 trailmanor looks great...like new!
b3conswj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:27 PM   #9
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Wow I really dig the color scheme & graphics on that TM! Nice!
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:56 AM   #10
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Wow - I really like the graphics/design on that TM as well! Such nice clean lines, both open and closed and everything matches, in either the open or closed position. Unlike mine (2005), which has wavy line graphics crossing windows, looking sloppy and mismatched in either the open or closed position.