TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2022, 11:37 AM   #1
FlowerPower

Default How to plan a trip for the first time -- need help!

I may actually get my camper on the road this fall! I'll be heading out to western states where amenities will be fewer, and am not sure how to plan for the unexpected...like breaking down or being too tired to keep driving to a pre-planned spot, for example. I've never pulled a camper before to travel and don't know what I don't know.

And when you stop in a small town pulling a trailer, where do you park if you have to stop for something not available at a convenience store? Or want to visit a local attraction?

My plan is stay in each place one night and head on down the road the next morning so the trailer will be hooked up for most of the trip.

I would really appreciate tips on how to pull this off -- or if it's unrealistic, tell me. Thank you!

Kathy, the Clueless Camper
2005 GMC Sierra
And a bunch of working dogs
FlowerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 12:55 PM   #2
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Wow.. That's a HUGE question. Let me start by saying that setting off for an adventure like this is just that... An adventure! You can make plans, but enjoy the spontaneity of the moment. Here are a few recommendations... In no particular order.
*Make sure your tow vehicle is in top running condition (Tires, breaks, fluids) and have been checked by a professional.

*Make sure your tow hitch and systems are in good condition. I would also suggest a locking hitch pin and a lock for your coupler. Keeps your TM locked to your TV.

*If you have ANY questions about the age/condition of your TM's tires....Change them out.

*Get an APP. (There are many that will tell you where all the camping spots are) I like RV Parky, FreeRoam, and Boondockers Welcome.

*Parking - Make sure you can get out of any place you want to get into. Most parking lots are easy to access.... some are NOT, be careful and look carefully. Park at the edges of the lots, so you don't get "Blocked in".

*Google Maps is your friend. If you are tired, and need to rest, most rest stops are safe a secure, so you can take a brief nap.

*Some (not all) Walmarts are a good place to stop for a short stay as well.

*Breaking down.... You should have some travel assistance. Check with your auto insurance to see if it includes towing and if that ALSO includes your TM. AAA, Good Sam, and there are others that will help you out in a pinch.

*Figure out your limitations... I can drive for 12/14 hours on day one.... By day 3/4 I can only muster about 6 hours behind the wheel. Even if you can "push through" I like to take a break about every two hours, makes it more enjoyable and safer. Stop and get gas, stop at a rest stop and use the toilet, or even stop at a lonely crossroads to stretch your legs for a bit.

There are a thousand more ideas...but I'll stop here and let others chime in....

Happy Trails!
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 02:00 PM   #3
MrGallegos

Before you go, you can always use Google Maps satellite view and street view to see what stores, point of interest, parking areas, etc. are along your route. Plus you get to see the area virtually so when you are actually driving it you will have an idea what to look for, such as landmarks, intersections, etc.

Also pick out some alternate campsites that come before your pre-planned site incase you are too tired, so you would already know ahead of time where to go.
Old 09-08-2022, 05:21 PM   #4
FlowerPower

GREAT suggestions, stuff I hadn't thought through enough. I'll download those apps for sure.

Definitely need multiple alternate places to stop. Driving fatigue is a big concern, I think I need to plan for less hours and if I can drive more in a given day, great. Love the idea to check out street views -- never would have thought of that.

Thanks a ton -- I have serious roadtrip homework to get started on!
2005 GMC Sierra
Old 09-09-2022, 07:41 AM   #5
FlyboyTR

Kathy,
If you are a new RV'er...I would suggest taking multiple short (weekend type trips) to different places. That is an easy way to get lots of exposure to many things you will run into on any trip. I've been an RV'er for 47 years and I can tell you that every trip exposes you to something different. As others have stated, Google Maps is your friend, especially if Street View is available for a place you want to stop at.

We are a long time Host Site for the Boondockers Welcome club. This is a link to our host site. For about half of our travels, we stay as a Guest at other Host sites. It is a great program. Overnight stays are basically free and if you use water/electric (if available) that will add $5 - $15 per night. The only time I will use services is if I need to run the A/C (check the electrical amperage available first). Harvest Hosts purchased Boondockers Welcome in 2021. While info on both can be found, they are two separate programs...each one has different appeal. This is a link to our Host site in Lower Alabama.
https://membership.harvesthosts.com/...steel-magnolia

This is a copy of a Travel Guide for various websites/apps, etc that may be beneficial for your planning.

Wishing you the best in your new adventure!

Travis
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Travel Planner Sites.pdf (423.6 KB, 45 views)
Old 09-09-2022, 10:20 AM   #6
FlowerPower

Thanks for the link. I looked at Boondockers when I first got the trailer and need to revisit and join.

At this point, I'm out of time for any short trips so guess I'll have to be as prepared as possible and wing it.

All these tips are really helpful!
2005 GMC Sierra
Old 09-11-2022, 01:46 PM   #7
FlyboyTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower View Post
Thanks for the link. I looked at Boondockers when I first got the trailer and need to revisit and join.

At this point, I'm out of time for any short trips so guess I'll have to be as prepared as possible and wing it.

All these tips are really helpful!
You are more than welcome! Lots of good folks here that can help you through most any problem you may run across. Safe Travels!

Travis
Old 09-11-2022, 02:20 PM   #8
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Also, some tips common for any trip with a TM:
  • use a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS)
  • pack a tool box with not only common tools, but also some extra screws, wire nuts, zip ties, a hold down latch (the white latches on the 4 corners), a flashlight (in the car), a tire gauge, electrical tape, etc.
  • if you plan on traveling to areas where you'll have spotty cell service, consider a satellite communicator device (like the Garmin inReach, which I have, and which I find very useful. A few hundred $ to buy, then $30/year + ~$15/mo for any month you might choose to turn service on.)
  • be sure your spare tire changing tools are not packed under a bunch of stuff. Unpleasant experience to have to unload your entire car in the rain and/or dark just to get to the jack.
  • do not underestimate how much time/energy you will expend in setting up and tearing down camp when traveling as you suggest (driving all day on a long trans-con trip, stopping just to spend the night). Between checking in/paying at camp, setting up, and cooking dinner, and then doing a similar routine in the morning, it's obviously more involved than just crashing at a hotel. I've driven cross-country with the TM numerous times, and find it challenging to drive more than 8-9 hours a day. And I have help with me. Six hours is more optimal. (In contrast, we have comfortably done 12 hrs/day with just a car and staying in a hotel for several straight days.)
  • Treat yourself to a nice camp enroute -- put in a few long days, and then if you can, spend a few nights in one place, and a place which you would really enjoy.
  • Pack yourself a lunch the night before. You might even be able to run a crock pot on the car's inverter, and cook dinner in the car as you go down the road. They do not typically take much power, and can often be powered off the cigarette lighter.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 02:42 PM   #9
FlowerPower

Re how does TPMS work on trailer tires? No dashboard with blinking icons!

I have a fully loaded toolbox including a drill, a ham radio, a CB radio and two cell phones w/different providers.

Need to check the spare tires tools, thanks for the reminder. Although unless I'm in a dead zone, I'd call for help. I'm done changing tires if I don't have to.

Interesting you bring up pulling a camper v. staying a hotel. I'm considering the latter as the cost would be similar since gas is so high. Driving would be easier, too. But I'll have two dogs along so not sure how many will accept more than 1.

I WISH there was somewhere along the way I'd like to stay for 2 nights, but I really just want to get to WY and then park. But, like you and others have said, planning X number of driving hours per day is fine, but might not be realistic. I'm shooting for 6 hrs a day stopping for breaks.

The last roadtrip I took a year ago was 10hrs RT in one day and it was too much. I couldn't see straight by the end. :-p
2005 GMC Sierra
Old 09-11-2022, 03:07 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Kathy -

Late response. Forgive me if I repeat things you have already considered.

You sound like the purpose of your trip is to get somewhere as soon as possible, rather than having fun on the way. That’s OK, We’ve done a lot of it, and a TM is WAY BETTER than a hotel. But let me mention some things to consider - things we have found out the hard way.

DAILY DRIVE TIME: Will you be the only driver, or will you be traveling with another driver? How many days will you be on the road? I don’t know your age, but if you are younger (like I used to be), and you are the only driver, you can probably plan on 5-6 hours of driving. No more. If you are older (like I am now), and you have a co-driver, you can again plan on 5-6 hours, and add one hour to the plan if you really, really need to. But there are two things to remember about planned drive time. First, you will waste at least an hour stopping for gas, stretches, pit stops, and so forth. Allow for that. Second, it is possible to arrive at your planned campground and find that it is full, or it is closed, or it is no longer there. This happened to us once - the campground had a fire during the day, and the next campground was 2 hours beyond.

ROAD SERVICE: Do not leave home without membership in a road service. We have discussed them here on the Forum - look them up. I had Good Sam for years, and it was worse than terrible. I’ve graduated to AAA, and am much more satisfied. There are others, of course. A breakdown in the middle of nowhere is a lonely frightening desperate experience. Standing beside the road as darkness falls and traffic whizzes within 18 inches of you, wondering who to call and what to do, can be a panic situation, especially if the local service places are closed for the day or night - and especially if you have an animal with you. Do you know how to change a tire? Do you have the jack and tools?

CAMPGROUND BOOKS: I know you have a cell phone, and I know there are campground apps. If your phone dies, or there is no service when you need it, a paper copy of a Big Book of Campgrounds is a lifesaver, There used to be two of them - one from Good Sam, one from Trailer Life, both were good. They may have merged, and that’s OK. In my experience, they are much easier to use, and much more complete, than an app on your phone. Your choice.

RESERVING CAMPSITES: When my wife and I started TMing 20 years ago, we would start out in the morning, and drive until we felt we would be ready to stop in an hour. At that point, we would grab the campground book, find a campground an hour ahead, call them to confirm availability, and drive to it. This gave us the flexibility to stop for sightseeing, drive slower than we planned, get through traffic jams/construction, and so forth. This approach almost never failed, and it freed us from slavish devotion to a daily schedule. But it often doesn’t work today. It is amazing to me how many campgrounds are full these days, and how early they fill. We have learned to make advance reservations, usually a month in advance, to avoid the NO VACANCY signs. Yes, this includes campgrounds in the midwest and far west. And yes, it will cost you if you have a change of plan. But IMHO the risk is worth it. For this trip, your timing is good. Kids are back in school, so the demand is down.
Do I hear you mention an emergency stop in a WalMart parking lot? I’ve never stayed in one, and hope not to, though it is better than beside the road, or in a rest stop. If none is within driving distance, we have stayed in a nearby hotel, but the experience was bad in so many ways.

I don’t mean to be a Debbie Downer here, and you will probably have no reason to worry about any of this stuff. But advance prep will make your confidence higher, and your long trip more bearable.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote