TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2022, 08:13 AM   #1
Stretch

Default Weight Distribution Hitch Needed?

I've seen the calculator at https://www.ajdesigner.com/apptraile...utionhitch.php

Some of the numbers I just don't know or can't find. But inputting known numbers such as tow vehicle weight and manufacturer's towing capacity, along with the TrailManor weight information, shows well within "green" across the board for both Weight Carrying and Weight Distribution.

So given that, is a Weight Distribution Hitch even needed since these calculations are showing essentiallly the same? It looks to me as if there's no real benefit.

Tow vehicle would be something along the lines of a late model full size 4x4 half-ton V8 pickup truck with 9k plus towing capacity, approximate weight of 5500lbs, with factory installed towing package.
Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:34 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The tow vehicle you describe is much more than adequate to the task. You should have no concerns, even without a WDH.

One thing all TM owners should be aware of. Every magazine article and video about towing says you should have a minimum of 10% of the trailer weight on the hitch. But 10% is right on the edge, and it is easy to misjudge a bit and get into danger territory. However, there is nothing wrong with having more than 10% of the weight on the hitch.

The inventor of the Trailmanor didn't like sway, so to avoid it, he positioned the axle a bit further back than usual, and the hitch weight is usually around 14% of the trailer weight. As a result, hitch weight is higher than you would expect, but Trailmanors don't sway. That's why you will hear many members say "You need a weight distribution hitch, but you don't need sway control."

I myself have towed TMs for 20 years, 7500-10,000 miles a year. I have never experienced the slightest tendency to sway. This includes big rigs passing, sudden winds as I drive out of a tunnel or beyond a natural wind barrier, emergency maneuvers - the entire gamut of causes.

So I think you are good.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:16 AM   #3
Stretch

Good info Will have a nice 8 hour test drive with an empty 2720QB to make sure when I pick it up from the dealer. Plenty of Camping World's to grab a WDH along the route just in case.
Old 08-17-2022, 12:11 PM   #4
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Good info Will have a nice 8 hour test drive with an empty 2720QB to make sure when I pick it up from the dealer. Plenty of Camping World's to grab a WDH along the route just in case.
Remember a WTH does NOT do much abut sway, it only "equalizes the amount of weight the rear axel of your TV is carrying and shifts it to the front of your TV. It prevents "sag" on your rear suspension.
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:37 AM   #5
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmikesell View Post
Remember a WDH does NOT do much abut sway, it only "equalizes the amount of weight the rear axel of your TV is carrying and shifts it to the front of your TV. It prevents "sag" on your rear suspension.
More importantly, it prevents "LIFT" on your front suspension (such lift reduces steering control, badly). Mere air bags could prevent the appearance of rear sag, but they cannot restore proper loading among the two axles. @Stretch is probably good without one, because those big V8 pickups have a ton of front-axle weight, and TMs are very light trailers.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:11 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
Mere air bags could prevent the appearance of rear sag, but they cannot restore proper loading among the two axles.
+1. Thanks Rick. That critically-important point is so often missed in discussions about WDHs.

Bill
Old 08-18-2022, 09:00 AM   #7
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
More importantly, it prevents "LIFT" on your front suspension (such lift reduces steering control, badly). Mere air bags could prevent the appearance of rear sag, but they cannot restore proper loading among the two axles. @Stretch is probably good without one, because those big V8 pickups have a ton of front-axle weight, and TMs are very light trailers.
Thank you for pointing that out (it's an important factor that I was remiss in not including). And for the very reason you pointed out. Most TM's are so light that its not much of a concern.
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Old 08-18-2022, 12:22 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmikesell View Post
Most TM's are so light that its not much of a concern.
Kory -

I'm thinking that if the hitch weight of the trailer is enough that it depresses the rear end of the tow vehicle, and points the headlights up into oncoming drivers' eyes, then it is enough to unload the front end. Since the front end does all of the steering, and more than half of the braking, this can't be a good thing.

Just my thoughts.

Bill
Old 08-18-2022, 02:15 PM   #9
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Kory -

I'm thinking that if the hitch weight of the trailer is enough that it depresses the rear end of the tow vehicle, and points the headlights up into oncoming drivers' eyes, then it is enough to unload the front end. Since the front end does all of the steering, and more than half of the braking, this can't be a good thing.

Just my thoughts.

Bill
Well any weight you put on any vehicle will cause it to "squat", they question is how much, and is it more than the TV can handle. When I used to sell trailers for a living, if the trailer was more than 50% of the TV rated load, a WDH was almost required.
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Old 08-20-2022, 11:24 AM   #10
Stretch

When hitched the truck actually leveled out. Most modern full size 4x4 pickups will have bed capacities of 1500+ lbs. 2019 Nissan Titan Pro4X with all of the factory tow equipment including electric actuator/controller. Towing the TrailManor was simply a non-issue. Curvey mountain roads and interstates at 70mph and 1500rpms. 18.8 mpg over 600 miles. It's as if TrailManor got with Nissan to see how to best marry the two. Comparably equipped 1/2 ton 4x4 Chevys/GMCs, Fords and Toyotas will likely be the same.