TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2022, 03:18 PM   #21
coralcruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGallegos View Post
I never thought about that, so how do I measure it to know if there is a problem sag or not?

I have not noticed any leaks, and I can see that there is noticeable curve (crown ) in the back shell so I dot not suspect any problems there, but the front shell (from the inside) looks flat, (no sag or dip in the center).

The only issue I notice is that the front shell is heavy (takes two to open it), and one of my torsion bolts is stuck, so I do not know if that is the issue or if the there is water that has collected in the interior foam which makes it heavy. If there were water that collected in the interior foam, how would one find out, and what can be done to dry it?
If your rear shell has a noticeable crown but your front shell does not you will see this right behind the AC from the inside on a 2720 model. The way to check this specifically is look at the seam pillow that is attached to the rear shell. The two outside ends closest to the walls on mine has more space between the seam pillow and the cieling of the front shell. Then where the bracket is on the back shell edge in the center of the AC I can see an obviouse squashing or crushing of the seam pillow. If this is the case on yours than the front shell is sagging. How much of a sag will depend on many factors but I think its imperative that you check the sag to determine if intervention is necessary.

What I did to determine this is make a paper template of the rear shell edge from the inside using a sharpie marker and taping the long paper to the cieling and tracing the curve or crown of the lower shell. Then close the back shell and place the template over the front shells back edge. Line up the two ends and measure in the middle or belly of the arc. That is OF there is an arc. This measurment will tell you exactly how much of a sag you have. If it's flat or no crown or less than an inch of crown I would recommend intervention and reinforcement supports. Otherwise, the sag will only get worse and when that sag gets below flat line it may be impossible to raise it of stabilize and replacement of the shell would be necessary at this point. If interested in what I am doing to stabilize it PM me.
coralcruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:45 PM   #22
Shane826
TrailManor Master

What do you propose for supports?
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:48 PM   #23
coralcruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
What do you propose for supports?
I am currently working on that part. Will get back on this one and post pics when it's all finished.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:18 PM   #24
MrGallegos

Here is a picture of where the front and rear shell meets. I Used a 90 degree square and did notice that there is still a slight crown on the front shell.
https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...pictureid=2185
Old 06-28-2022, 06:35 PM   #25
coralcruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGallegos View Post
Here is a picture of where the front and rear shell meets. I Used a 90 degree square and did notice that there is still a slight crown on the front shell.
https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...pictureid=2185
You do have a slight drop and can see it from the picture. Only way to tell for sure is with a template though and measure it that way. You could also take something like a 2x4 the width of the TM and measure up at the belly and compare.lower and upper shells. Note it and repeat every couple of years. If it gets worse just reinforce the roof as not to allow it to continue to sag. Personally I prefer to be proactive about such things and reinforce it at first sign of trouble this way it does not get worse as apparently trailmanors are susceptible to this type of wear and tear.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:59 AM   #26
MrGallegos

I saw a previous post about a TM owner that ripped his celling off to expose the Styrofoam, which was soaked from water that leaked over the years. On my TM, I have not noticed any sign of leaks, but if by chance there is small amounts of water leaking into the Styrofoam, would it cause any permanent damage (assuming no more water came in)? Hopefully the water would just evaporate.
Old 07-02-2022, 02:12 PM   #27
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Yep about the same time there was another person who did the same thing over on the TM Fans page on Facebook. That had to be taking on water for quite some time. And if I recall, at least one of them showed pics where they sealed the INSIDE of the ceiling so water didn’t leak into the camper.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Old 07-02-2022, 02:33 PM   #28
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

When I had my popup camper, either Palomino or the dealer put a top hat channel to run the power cord thru. It added a bit of support for the roof. On my nephews StarCraft pup, it has two of the top hat channels in front and behind the a/c unit. The previous owners didn't route the a/c power cord thru either of the channels, but he could have easily. It's just an idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StarCraft.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	3.71 MB
ID:	21146  
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 05:50 PM   #29
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Wouldn’t those get smashed between the roofs when closed? That’s why the A/C sits up on a riser.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Old 07-03-2022, 06:25 PM   #30
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Shane, I honestly don't know. Other than these channels, the only think I can think of would be using two very stiff slightly curved flat bars, to sandwich the shell. It would cause you to drill thru the shell. Not something I am inclined to do. I'd rather have the shell replaced.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote