TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2020, 12:20 PM   #1
TravelinBand

Default Replacing the shut off valve

I tried looking for a thread on replacing the shut off valves on the rear street side of my TM and didn't see anything so I am starting a new thread. On a recent trip we stayed at a place with hookups and I forgot to attach my water regulator when hooking up to city water. The valve on the left sprung a leak and now I have zero pressure in my shower. I have been told it's an easy fix with a shark bite valve. Looks like I need to cut the hose directly above the metal band (which is solid so I don't see how it could be removed) My question is, what tool should I use to cut the hose and what other tools will I need to prepare the hose and install the new valve. Any and all tips tricks and info are greatly appreciated as I know nothing about plumbing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8469.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	19398   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8470.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	19399   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8471.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	19400   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8472.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	19401   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8468.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	19402  

TravelinBand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 02:43 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

The valve has probably blown a seal, due to the combination of age and high pressure, and it might be possible to simply replace the seal. I don't know how that valve might come apart (it might not be serviceable), but I'd first look for any obvious ways to take it apart to get to the seal, which is probably pretty common. That will be easier than replacing the valve.

Absent that, yes, you can remove and replace the valve. You could cut the PEX, which is the name of the type of tubing to which it is attached. But the PEX isn't very well secured in the floor, and so not super easy to cut with a hack saw. The best and easiest way, I think, would be to use a pair of PVC cutters, available at any decent hardware or plumbing store....something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pvc+cutter&ref=nb_sb_noss

With a pair of those, one snip and the PEX would be cut. Alternatively, you could remove that metal crimp band.....a pair of needle nose pliers or even a flat screwdriver to get in under the bent crimped part of it should loosen it up, but be careful not to gouge the PEX in the process. Once it is loose enough to slide up and down, you should be able to pull the valve out.

In either case, yes, you can replace it with a Sharkbite valve. It simply slides on the PEX, and you're done. No tightening or tools needed. They made be hard to find, so you could also get a Sharkbite fitting that connects to the PEX on one end, and then has threads on the other end for a pipe or PVC connection. There is also this Sharkbite connector that has PEX on one end, and then accepts PVC pipe in the other, so you wouldn't need a threaded PVC connection. See https://www.sharkbite.com/products/p...ition-coupling

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:09 PM   #3
oldstick
TrailManor Master

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I replaced both of those exact same plastic drain valves less than two months ago due to a slow dripping leak they developed over time. I used shark bite style replacements from the link above. You can ignore the ends you see in the picture that have the 3/8 " hex nuts on them. You can throw those nuts away as that will be the bottom drain end with nothing else to connect.

The main thing with the sharkbite types is that you need to cut the old ones off with a clean 90 degree square cut for the new ones to seat and seal properly. Looks like you have plenty of spare length to cut just above the old metal clamps. You might be able to use a PVC tubing cutter, if there is room to rotate it around 360 degrees for a clean cut. I had to resort to using a pair of large tree limb lopping sheers to finally get a clean 90 degree cut. The new valves slid right on after that with no more leaks at all.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:16 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
You could cut the PEX, which is the name of the type of tubing to which it is attached. The best and easiest way, I think, would be to use a pair of PVC cutters. Yes, you can remove and replace the valve ... but be careful not to gouge the PEX in the process.
Just a reminder -- if you gouge the PEX, the Sharkbite probably won't seal. So yes, be extra careful.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:38 AM   #5
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Here is another alternative repair, put together by one of our members, Rick Newcomb.

It consists of three 7/16 - 25/32" hose clamps; 1/2" flexible reinforced hose; 1/2" x 1/2" shark bite connectors; 1/2" male hose stem, brass; straight garden hose valve, plastic.

I replaced the hot water drain down valve and the rear low point drain valve on my TM. Both replacement valve assemblies continue to operate without any leaks.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200818_195706 (Large).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	455.7 KB
ID:	19408   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3721 (Large).JPG
Views:	82
Size:	375.8 KB
ID:	19409   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3722 (Large).JPG
Views:	86
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	19410  
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 03:55 PM   #6
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the suggestions. I have exactly the same problem - 2 missing handles and the other two are not looking healthy. I like the Sharkbite shut-off valves.