TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-23-2017, 06:31 AM   #1
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Default Gray water drain valve replacement

So I had lots of crappy moments this past weekend, starting with a flat tire on my TV when I went to hook up Fiona for departure. The joys of living on a dirt road - every time the Road Agent grades the road, at least 2 or 3 of us get flat tires from screws/nails. I was really lucky this time and apparently drove over some sort of metal piece with sharp edges, which put two slices, perpendicular to each other, in the edge of my tire between tread & sidewall. No repairing that. Tire has less than 7000 miles on it. Sigh....

Anyway, one of the other crappy moments happened as I was pulling out of my campsite. It was about a 120 degree turn out of the site. There was a tree stump sort of in the way on my first attempt to pull out. So I backed up, so I could approach the turn at a better angle. I knew I still wasn't going to miss the stump, and was about to reverse again, when the camper across the way decided I needed guidance.

"You're fine" - he said.

"No, I'm still going to hit the stump" - I said.

"Yeah, but it's soft, you'll just ride the side and it won't damage your tire" - he said.

"I'm not worried about my tire, I'm concerned about the plumbing behind my tire" - I said.

"Oh, no, that won't hit, you'll be fine" - he said.

I stupidly listened to him, despite my gut feeling that he was wrong. As I came down off the side of the stump with the TM's driver's side tire - "You did great, no problem" - he said.

I get down to the sewer dump, and water is spewing out of the area where the gray water valve is located, and the valve handle is sticking up at 45 degrees. Not sure why he thought water pouring out of the gray water valve was "no problem"..... sigh.... At least it wasn't black water....

So, I am ordering the valve part (link below), and hoping that is all I need. You can see the crack in the valve 'frame' - from where the handle was located, going back towards the gray water drain pipe. There was no opening the valve - I tried, and the handle just came off in my hand. (photos attached)

If anyone thinks I might need something more, please let me know!

https://www.amazon.com/Lasalle-Brist.../dp/B003VAYXR2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	graydrainvalve.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	528.5 KB
ID:	16020   Click image for larger version

Name:	grayvalvehandle.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	485.2 KB
ID:	16021  
Old 08-23-2017, 02:07 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Sorry to hear that sad story. I've done similar things, and I didn't even need a neighbor to help me!

As for replacing the valve, you should be good. Might be nice to have a bit of vaseline on hand to lightly grease the O-ring gaskets.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:23 PM   #3
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
As for replacing the valve, you should be good. Might be nice to have a bit of vaseline on hand to lightly grease the O-ring gaskets.

Bill
Lesson learned - next time I'll just quietly do what I know to be right, rather than bend to the pressure of some vocal asshat know-it-all.... I know it would have been a nightmare if it was black water, so I'm actually pretty happy/relieved.

Would silicone be better? I've always heard Vaseline was damaging over time. I used silicone on the gaskets for dive tanks, regulator, etc. and still have it somewhere.....
Old 08-23-2017, 03:32 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

You are right. Silicone grease would probably be a better choice. It can be purchased in many forms. You'll find it in the plumbing section of the hardware store, next to faucet valve stems. You'll find it in the electrical section as non-conductive wire nut grease. And several other places.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:47 PM   #5
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Thanks Bill!