TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #1
trailmanor9723

Default 2015 model saddle latches failing

We bought a new 2015 TrailManor 2922 in May 2015 which was built June 2014. After about 3000 miles I notice that the sheet metal screws that hold the four “saddle” latches were coming loose. I tightened them snug with a wrench (no power tools); one head was already snapped off so I put in a new screw beside the old one. We continued our trip and the screws continued to come loose and finally some would not tighten. They used self tapping sheet metal screws and now the latches are so loose and cannot be tightened that it is unsafe to use the trailer. I saw on the forum that this was an issue in the 2004 timeframe. The dealer where I bought the trailer said that they are now starting to see this issue again. One would think that TrailManor would have realized that they need to have a substantial material into which the saddle latch bolts would attach (such as treaded inserts and real threaded bolts). I called the factory service department twice in the past week to see how they are going to fix my trailer but have not heard from them yet
Has anyone else had this issue on the new models? If so, has it been fixed, how and by whom?
We had other quality issues such as gas line leaks at the furnace, water leak at the filler fitting, toilet seat/lid breaking off (design issue) and others too.
trailmanor9723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:11 PM   #2
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Hi Trailmanor 9723, welcome to the TM Forum. There are multiple postings regarding your latch problem. Use the "search" icon at the top of the page and type in "corner latch repair", then click on "show posts". I think you'll find what you're looking for. Good luck with your repair.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:16 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

If the corner latches are pulling out, it is generally an indication that you have them adjusted too tight. The primary hold-down function for the shells is handled by the beefy center latches. The corner latches are not designed to take this kind of load. I think they are there primarily to minimize bounce in the shells during travel. If they are hard to latch, you have them too tight.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:22 AM   #4
trailmanor9723

Default Repeat of the 2004 issue??

The latches that are failing are not the four at the very corners. They are the four that get engaged when you stand on the brackets on the arms to latch the camper closed. This was an issue in the 2004 timeframe but it is my understanding that TrailManors have not had this issue since then but it appears to have resurfaced.
trailmanor9723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:44 PM   #5
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

I don't think the center latches use sheet metal screws. They should be machine screws. Can you show us a photo of the problem? Also see my latch support retrofit. Is that where the trouble is?