TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2016, 10:09 AM   #41
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
Second I used to think of a 1750A as a coprocessor in search of a processor. It could not address a byte so hard to send ASCII (e.g. use with a keyboard and monitor). Was supposed to be an airborne processor and Mil-Std-1862 was supposed to be the ground machine but 1862 was cancelled so all the AF had left was the 1750A & was speced in every contract. Took me two years but got approval to use a MicroVAX for ground test equipment (ATLAS based) instead. Major cost savings & boss made VP.
Yep, no ASCII I/O and I supposed JOVIAL was written to match it, because it didn't have any I/O features either. I didn't know they had required 1750 for systems like ATE originally. In that case, you are probably a known hero at Robins AFB where I retired. There was a huge ATLAS/ATE department maintaining circuit boards and the associated test equipment/SW. I never worked in that area, but most everything there was VAX based during my tenure.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:16 AM   #42
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Padgett, I was just needling you about your always knocking diesels. I love my diesel, as it pulls much better than our 5.7L V-8 Hemi Grand Cherokee, and gets much better fuel economy, whether towing or not.

You like your setup, and I like mine. You can comment all you want about torque and power ranges for various gas engines, but you don't need to try to take a dig at diesels. As long as I am towing, I will use a diesel.

I have more than paid for the added cost of the diesel engine in fuel savings. I have not had higher maintenance costs in the 96,000 miles I have driven since buying it new in April of 2014. I hear lots of red herrings about diesels, and they may have been true of older engines. You liked yours when you had one, so leave the new diesels out of your comments. My experience with my diesel bears no resemblance to your negative comments, so you may be giving people considering a diesel an unworthy negative impression.

Off my soap box.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:51 PM   #43
Padgett
TrailManor Master

NP. In 2012 I was also a diesel fanatic and if the 3.0 had been available then I would have bought it.

That said in 2016 I believe the future is direct injected gas engines with boost. Problem before was detonation/knock but DI cures that.

I like my Pentastar 3.6 GC and it suits me but is obsolete already, just not yet apparent.

People who really throw rocks at me are ones with the Hemi. Was obsolete at the turn of the century. Can't have 4 valves and must have dual spark plugs to meet emissions. Kludge.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:08 AM   #44
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I was just wandering through this old thread, and noticed that one potentially important point was missing from the discussion of "chucking".

Check the tightness of the hitch ball nut. If it is even a small amount loose, the ball will snap back and forth on the mount. This will be perceived as a short sharp fore-and-aft jolt.

The big nut on the stem of the ball must have a big lock washer just above it. The nut must be tightened very tightly, mashing that lock washer absolutely flat.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote