TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Extreme Cold Weather Camping
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #21
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Default Dry camping at 9°

Thought I would share my recent "dry" cold weekend experience.

Went pheasant hunting in eastern Colorado this weekend. Only had a dry-camping spot, which was fine with me. Filled the 40-gallon fresh-water tank in my 2416, to 30 gallons. Figured more water would take longer to freeze.

Friday night only got down to about 30°, so we didn't expect any problems (and had none). Stayed plenty warm, with the heater coming on for about 10 minutes out of 25 minutes.

Saturday got up to 55°, but started dropping quickly about 2 p.m. Got back to camp about 7:30, and it was 25°.

Woke up Sunday morning, and it was 9°. Still had hot and cold water, and no problems. Did not try to use the water to "flush" the toilet, as we are all guys, and trees worked fine. Keeping the bathroom/shower closed gave us more counter space for our stuff.

Got back to camp about 1 p.m., and it was 25°. Still had running water. Opened all the drains to drain the water system, and all drained fine. The only issue we had was opening the gray-water tank. It had ice at the drain, and it took quite a bit of working to get it open.

Next time, I will put hot water down the drain, then drain the gray-water tank more frequently, to make sure it does not build up too much.

I love this unit for short winter trips! Stayed plenty warm, didn't use a tank of propane (made french toast and pancakes for breakfasts, heated water for coffee), and the battery held plenty of charge (I assume, as there is no monitor in a 2417). Will not hesitate to take it out again in the winter.

If I was going to do longer outings, the gray water may be a challenge, as well as keeping the battery charged. I would get a generator, and put a light bulb under the gray tank, and box the area in to keep the heat there. Generator would also recharge the battery, so I could stay "dry" for quite a while, if I wanted to.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:28 PM   #22
surfbiggoofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
Make sure you have some pool noodles. Also you will find that considerable moisture penetrates the mattress and condenses on the top of the bed tray making the bottom of the mattress damp. Not a big deal, but you will need to remove the mattress when you get home to dry out.
We just purchased a 2013 Trailmanor 2027 SD and in the process of updating it to current technology. As far as cold weather camping we were in Moab when it hit 9 degrees F two weeks ago today just before dawn. We had a Little Buddy Propane heater inside to support the forced air furnace pointed at the aft bedroom. We had electrical hookups so we weren't concerned about the furnace running the batteries dry.

I had taken the step to get some pool noodles and pipe insulation (also fantastic for making sure the hanging cabinets and wardrobe don't get beat up on rough dirt roads) around the bed and my wife found a decent draft behind the wardrobe and we stuffed pipe insulation it it and it was fine. Thanks to the folks that suggested using pool noodles around the bed area. I had also put down Reflectix insulation under the bed. The condensation between the bed and the Reflectix is a problem as we noticed mold under on our mattress cover. We washed it and it seems fine. We are planning on using a pair of twin 12v mattress heaters to deal with that problem and wanted to know if others have had a similar issue and what they did to correct the issue.

We also had really good luck with Reflectix cut to fit the windows. Going the full "Cousin Eddy" saved us a ton of propane such that the forced air furnace actually shut off at 15 degrees F in the middle of the night because it was that warm inside.

Our next issue was the previous owner had put peel and stick gray foam door insulation to prevent door drafts and at anything below 15 degrees F we had to defrost the door with the portable propane heater before it would open and we have a little dog that needs to have a bit of personal time early in the morning. Any suggestions there would be appreciated, probably more by the little dog as we fire up the Coleman coffee maker and climb right back into bed as it goes to work.

We did have a water protocol for each night. Our camp host would turn off the water each night and wait for the temps to climb to 35 degrees F before turning the water back on. We left the plumbing drains open and all of the faucets open inside. Please let me know if this in y'all's experience is excessive.

We don't have a heated supply hose (yet) so we would disconnect the supply hose, filter and regulator stow that inside after topping off the water tanks and making sure the hot water tank was full. We would open the plumbing drain valves and open the under sink cabinet door and the bathroom door. We did have the gray water drain open and a had a sloped drain hose to the sewer connection and never had a problem with the gray water operation. Overnight we used water jugs. In the morning when the temps would climb above freezing, I'd run outside and close the low plumbing drain valves and fire up the demand pumps and we were good to go for the day. When the camp host turned back on the supply water, I'd hook up the supply hose and refill the tanks.

I do have plans to put some underbody insulation and pipe heating this season.

Cheers, Brian
surfbiggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 12:18 PM   #23
Blueduck3285

We are going to go this Friday to St. Vrain and see how our new to us TM does. This is our first camper and first trip.
Old 01-02-2024, 01:25 PM   #24
Shane826
TrailManor Master

If this is your first trip in your first ever camper I would highly recommend you wait for nicer weather. Winter campering presents a whole new series of challenges that aren’t always easy even for experienced camperers.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 05:10 PM   #25
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
We are going to go this Friday to St. Vrain and see how our new to us TM does. This is our first camper and first trip.
St Vrain is a beautiful campground. We stay there whenever we can get reservations, which isn't often. However, the land around it is dead flat for miles, and the wind coming down off the front range can be ferocious. My limited experience is that cold itself can be handled, but cold with even a moderate wind can be a major problem. At least check the weather forecast before you go. If you can, face the nose of the TM into the wind. And do not let yourself run out of propane, or gas for your car.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 09:29 AM   #26
Bill
Site Team

One other suggestion. Pool noodles and pipe insulation are great for many air-leak areas, such as around the beds. But they are kind of rigid for other areas, such as around the bottom of the entry door. For this area in particular, something more limp and deformable, is needed. A canvas tube filled with coarse sand or fine gravel, or even a couple big socks similarly filled, can a better solution.

Bill
Old 01-03-2024, 11:12 AM   #27
Blueduck3285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
St Vrain is a beautiful campground. We stay there whenever we can get reservations, which isn't often. However, the land around it is dead flat for miles, and the wind coming down off the front range can be ferocious. My limited experience is that cold itself can be handled, but cold with even a moderate wind can be a major problem. At least check the weather forecast before you go. If you can, face the nose of the TM into the wind. And do not let yourself run out of propane, or gas for your car.

Bill
We are skipping this weekend as it just appears to get worse as the days get closer. We are going to try closer to the end of the month.

I thought I had read someone talking about water and their mattress, is that only a concern on the cold months or all year?
Blueduck3285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 11:57 AM   #28
Bill
Site Team

Speaking only for myself, I have not experienced significant condensation in the bed at any temperature that is even remotely comfortable - say above 50*. It seems to me that it would be almost inevitable at temps below 40* or so. Condensation occurs when the inside air is humid - it contains a lot of water vapor. Water vapor is generated by people breathing, of course, and can be made worse by showering and cooking. One of the worst sources is standalone propane heaters, since water is a natural byproduct of propane combustion. Whenever you run one of these, you need to crack a vent to let some of the humid air out, or it will rain inside. Seems counter-intuitive, I know. By the way, the TM propane furnace is vented outside, so it does not generate water vapor inside the trailer.

Bill
Old 01-03-2024, 12:25 PM   #29
Shane826
TrailManor Master

We camped in the 1000 Islands in late October last fall. I didn’t think it was a great idea but my wife really wanted to go so we compromised and went camping. Weather was miserable. Dropped into the mid-40°s at night. I was amazed how much condensation was on the bottom of the mattress in the morning. I’m half expecting to have to replace it due to mildew when we get the camper out in the Spring. Either way I’ve talked to a few places about a mattress cover with a vinyl bottom.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 08:54 PM   #30
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

My nephew floated this idea to me awhile back. I have zero idea how good or bad it is, just tossing the idea out there.

https://www.mattressinsider.com/matt...revention.html
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote