TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
Redhawk

Default Solar for the Elk

After reading the threads here discussing solar and doing a lot of research, I finally placed the order this morning. Kyocera 140W panel with a Morningstar Prostar 15M controller. The hardest part was deciding between the MPPT and the Prostar, but for the $150. difference, I could add another panel if I ever thought I needed it. Which I doubt. Total package was $618 w/shipping.

I found a lot of the online solar dealers are nothing more than some people with an office and no inventory, when it got down to it, it would be over a month to get the panels etc. I finally ended up using http://www.solarpanelstore.com/ mainly because they are located here in CO and had inventory. The guy I worked with was able to answer all of my questions immediatly, and called me back when he said he would, not the case with the others, they usually emailed me the spec sheets that I already had. So....check around is the moral here.

Question....does anyone have any experience or suggestions on where to mount the controller? I'd like to be able to see it since it has the LCD meter on it and hide the wires too.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
brulaz

There's a thread on this forum, I think, where the panels are mounted on a frame (plastic plumbing pipe?) separately from the trailer. That way you can move them around independently and select the best lighting conditions. And then store them securely in your truck when traveling.

As for the controller, I've thought close to the batteries, under the seat, or maybe even in the bathroom in one of the low shelves?

EDIT: May be cut out that (currently unused?) round furnace duct into the battery compartment and use that space. Not eye-level, but ...
Old 07-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
rumbleweed

Check out http://www.windsun.com/ These guys are very good and have great prices. Their site has excellent information on solar options.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
Redhawk

Hummm...the bath room shelfs are something I will check out closer, I could use a blanking panel and make it look pretty good. Thanks for the suggestion, and the site Rumbleweed.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
There's a thread on this forum, I think, where the panels are mounted on a frame (plastic plumbing pipe?) separately from the trailer. That way you can move them around independently and select the best lighting conditions. And then store them securely in your truck when traveling.
That was Rumbleweed, and it looks like a great mount.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=11467
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

We did portable stands like rumbleweed from scrap 3/4 pvc. Here at Silver Jack, in partial shade and 2 inches of rain over the last few days our two 80 watt panels placed on the roof have more then kept the batteries up. We are moving up to Spruce Grove on Grand Mesa NF tomorrow if you want to run up that far from Colorado Springs to look at the set up.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
Redhawk

That would be great Scrubjay, but we are leaving in the morning to spend 3 or 4 days in the mountains. I'm hoping that with some careful use, the batteries will last till we come back. Or get flooded out!

Thanks a lot for the offer, wish I could.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
Redhawk

Finally finished the solar panel install today. On the Elk, I found that the vent coming out the roof from the black tank had enough room around the pipe that I could run the 10 ga wires into the interior fairly easily. I removed the angled panel in the bathroom that hides the vent tube, drilled a hole in the wall and mounted the solar controller on the wall above the existing battery monitor in the main cabin area. The 10 gauge wires aren't real easy to work with, and they are visible on the bottom of the controller, but I like having it where I can see it.

It was heavily overcast, but the panel was still putting out 1 amp to the battery. I am very happy with what I was seeing compared to the 85 watt panel we had on our 2619. Let's go camping!!!

I want to thank all that have posted their experience with mounting and installing solar on this site. It helped me tremendously.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
brulaz

So, you've got the solar panel mounted on the roof, the wires running down beside the black water vent pipe to a controller mounted on the other side of the bathroom wall in the main cabin and from there down to the battery? Or ...?

I am a little confused about the "existing battery monitor". Mine, the original that came with the Elkmont, is mounted under the sink; far way from the batteries and bathroom vent pipe.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #10
Redhawk

You got it right, that's where it is mounted. My battery monitor is on that same wall, pretty much straight up from the batteries. I should have taken a photo or 2, but didn't have the camera. The panel fit very nicely right next to the A/C unit.