TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
M&M Hokie

Question Hitch capacity, springs, airbags, etc. [split thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
I think the traverse hitch can only handle 500# (no WDH) or 600# (with WDH, they assume the WDH hitch takes 100# off the hitch?). Trailmanors tend to have high tongue weights, so I would just verify that your loaded trailmanor's tongue weight is less than 500#.
Since there was a question concerning what the WDH does, here are the results of weighings I did with varying amounts of tension on the WDH. Defined as # of loose links....

Config TW Axle Total
1LINK 720 3440 4160
2LINK 700 3460 4160
3LINK 660 3500 4160
4LINK 560 3600 4160

In other words, I could get 160 pounds off of the tongue by having 4 loose links compared to an almost tensionless 1 loose link configuration.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
Most of our owner reports tell us that their tongue weights are very near 500# or beyond. Class III trailer hitches are rated for a maximum of 500# tongue weight, and Class IV trailer hitches are not commercially available for anything less than full sized pickups and vans.

There are two possible conclusions to draw from this:

1) Everyone needs to get rid of their old Explorers, Highlanders, and Astros so that they can buy heavy duty pickups so that they can install class IV hitch receivers.

Or:

2) The collective experience of the 95% of us who have been using moderately overloaded Class III trailer hitch receivers without incident suggests that it seems to work out OK with our weight distributing hitches and TrailManors on our Class III hitch receivers.
My 2500HD has a larger receiver than my 1500HD. The 2500HD came with a reducer, which is what I use so I can use the same bar on either truck.

I suppose I could get a larger hitch bar and skip using the reducing sleeve, but I don't even know a local place to buy one. I would have to mail order and it probably weighs a bit more than what I have, so shipping won't be cheap.

Maybe Camping World has them in stock.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
My 2500HD has a larger receiver than my 1500HD. The 2500HD came with a reducer, which is what I use so I can use the same bar on either truck.

I suppose I could get a larger hitch bar and skip using the reducing sleeve, but I don't even know a local place to buy one. I would have to mail order and it probably weighs a bit more than what I have, so shipping won't be cheap.

Maybe Camping World has them in stock.
The limits we're talking about are in the hitch receiver, not the hitch bar for your WDH. Even Class V hitches come in 2" models, so why not just use the sleeve and the shank you have, and save the extra weight. As an aside, the Chevy towing guide seems to think you'll want to be using your WDH.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Most of our owner reports tell us that their tongue weights are very near 500# or beyond. Class III trailer hitches are rated for a maximum of 500# tongue weight, and Class IV trailer hitches are not commercially available for anything less than full sized pickups and vans.
Interesting observation. According to the Ford Towing Guide (on the Ford web site), my Explorer came with a hybrid hitch called a Class III/IV. According to the guide, the weight limitations for this hitch are

Explorer 4-Door (Class III/IV)
Weight bearing 5000 / 500 pounds
Weight distributing 7,290 / 729 pounds

Has anyone else seen this sort of hybrid arrangement?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
mtnguy

Quote:
This statement is true to a point. Class III hitches are usually rated up to a 500 lb. tongue with a maximum of 5000 lb. trailer.........but that is figuring the weight carrying capacity. Many (probably most) class III hitches also have a weight distributing capacity that is significantly over the 500/5000 lb. weights. On my F150, I am regulated to the 500/5000 lb. weights in the weight carrying category, but if I use a properly setup weight distributing system, those figures rise to 990/9900 lbs.

There should be a sticker on the hitch with the limits, or if not a call to the dealer might reveal the hitch weight limits.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Interesting observation. According to the Ford Towing Guide (on the Ford web site), my Explorer came with a hybrid hitch called a Class III/IV. According to the guide, the weight limitations for this hitch are

Bill
Bill, you posted while I was composing my last post.

My truck is also listed as having a class III/IV hitch with the previously posted limits.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

Bill
Bill,
Ok, I should take your Explorer off of my list (though possibly not the old one you used to have).

While doing my digging for my earlier comments, I found that manufacturers frequently rate hitch receivers higher for WDH's than for simple weight bearing tow bars. While the spring bars add pretty hefty additional loads at the forward frame attach points, they also lower the weight on the rear ones, evening the loads among all 6 bolts quite a bit as the WDH does it's thing. There are several Class III hitches commercially available with ratings of 600# for some vehicles, but there are just a few choices for any given vehicle. We're left to wonder about the TV frame mounts as well as wondering whether they were thinking of a simple ball mount or a WDH when they did the ratings.

The only Internet references I could find about hitch receivers failing were on Toyota Tundras from a few years back (probably caused by tongue weight overloads). It seems to me that there should be a lot more of these, considering that people will hitch up all kinds of crazy things on a Walmart ball mount and take off down the road. The lack of reported failures suggests that such failures as people might be having are not causing catastrophic losses. On the other hand, the huge number of cases of trailers coming entirely free of their tow vehicles could involve trailers nevertheless still securely attached to their hitches and hitch receivers!

I check my hitch receiver and mount points carefully, and have never seen any signs of anything bending or yielding.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
moaboy

I tow my 2009.5 2720 with a 2000 Honda Odyssey which is rated at 3500#. The relatively long wheelbase makes for very stable towing with my WDH. And it stops very responsively as well. Since it is what my wife drives - has to work for her as well. No doubt 5k or higher would be better, but not as mandatory as some would like to think.
This summer took a two week trip to Maine and all worked well. Granted I did not have to cross the Rockies...but would not hesitate to do so. Lot of variables here, but a TV rated at 3500# can and has worked safely for over 2 years and numerous trips.
So based on my experience, I think a Pilot would work fine.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
PopBeavers

fwiw,

I have towed my 2720 behind my 1500HD with the 6.5 foot bed and also with my 2500HD with the 8 foot bed. Both crew cabs. No WD hitch.

I can tell you that the bigger truck does substantially less porpoising (flexing vertically at the hitch on bump roads.

I attribute this to two things:

1. longer wheelbase

2. stiffer suspension

I am not trying to suggest that everyone should get a truck. I just want to point out my personal experience regarding what you MAY gain by using wheelbase or rear suspension capacity as a tie breaker when choosing a TV.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:09 AM   #10
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

No argument: Your new pickup is a great tow vehicle. I don't have time right now to respond as I'd like to, but I hope to use your good post in the next few days as a springboard into a new thread discussion I've been thinking about.