TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-02-2006, 11:05 AM   #1
Doug W.

Default First Camping Experence

Well we took our 3124KS out this weekend to Watkins Mill State Park. I had called Wednesday to see if they would have water as it is supposed to be on April 1st. They said they were working to get it on, but it was not available yet. they figured it would be on when I got there Friday evening. Got to the campground and they had no water. The water district guy broke something when he turned it on. Every time he fix something, another part broke. I had no water in the water tank, since they said the water was on. Had to drive to the visitors center were there was a water faucet available. Popped the TM up to put water in. Another guy and his wife came to get water also and had to giive the TM a good look over. Went and setup at the campsite. Just got the TM levelled and ready to open it up when the park host came by to collect the camping fee. He had never seen a TM and wanted to see it go up. You shoould have seen the look on his face when I put the bathroom walls up. He was dumbfound at how well it was designed, how easy it went up and how big it was when completely up. Had a nice time, but found several things we need to add to it, like a frig themometer. Some our our drinking water and the hamburger we brought froze. I also learned it might be a good idea to fill the water tank just in case.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:09 PM   #2
2bcs1jrt

We had a similar experience recently in that we got to a site with full hook ups but all the RV parking was flooded so we all had to park in places where we could not access the hookups from the TM. We have a 7 gal water receptacle and a simple bilge pump ($18 from REI.) I also have a colapsable hand truck ($35 from Orchard Hardware). The water container can be bungeed to the hand truck when full for easy transport and pumped into the fresh water tank easily without hoisting it up (something I would have no hope of doing without help) This way, we could set up and then go to the water source without towing the TM there. I keep the empty water container and bilge pump in the TM when towing and move to to the TV when camping so it's out of the way.
Cheri
Old 04-02-2006, 05:26 PM   #3
Doug W.

Okay, now I have a few more things to add to the list to get including a blue tote, because the dump station was also closed. Other than the water and dump problems, it was a good trip. Even the 12:30am thunder storn was nice. We found out the unit was definately watertight.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:57 AM   #4
tucsoncarol
Site Sponsor

Default Texas Camper is right!

We have gone twice to a local state park recently. The first time we got blue tote envy, and bought a great one we had seen others in camp use. The next trip, we filled our lovely blue tote (nicknamed Odie) in anticipation of a slow drive to the dump station only to find the dump station had been closed due to septic tank leaching field overload. What the heck are you supposed to do then? The park ranger is a very easy going guy, and the general tone of the park is laid back, so we were advised to take it to the showers and unload into those drains---it was only gray water, people. But what if it wasn't? Since it all went into the same septic system, how did that help the problem anyway? Check that you can dump before you fill your blue tote. They cannot be unfilled!
Old 04-04-2006, 09:43 PM   #5
Doug W.

Default Get creative

I bought a blue tote and took care of the problem. I have a clean-out for the sewer line in the basement. I just removed the cap and used the adapter that came with my dump hose. It went down fine with no accidents, but I do not want to do that again if possible.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:17 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Doug -

With some minor effort and a handful of adapters, you could probably connect a pipe or hose to the cleanout, route the pipe or hose up through a basement window, and dump your TM's tanks from outdoors. Then rinse out the pipe/hose with a garden hose, disassemble, and set it aside for next time.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:17 PM   #7
Doug W.

No can do. The only window in the basement is on the other side of the house away from the drive. I normally park the TM in the lower drive and that is on the other side of the house from the door also.