TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-28-2005, 07:11 AM   #1
Seleya

Question Stove/furnace/antenna

I'm opening my 2000 3124KB up for the first time in 2 years (had a short in the system the dealer never got fixed which blacked out the trailer while driving) and have run into a couple of problems:

1. My stovetop works and the oven pilot lights, but the oven doesn't light beyond that. There was a mouse nest in the oven -- could there be more bedding in the gas fixture? If so, how do I get at it or is that something I need a repairman to deal with.

2. My furnace is working fine but, ick, it is a wee bit stinky. Is there a way of checking to make sure there's no mouse bedding (and assorted other 'gifts') in there? I tried opening windows and vents and running it on high to burn off the smell but now am wondering if it was such a good idea and if there's a way I could check it to be sure there's nothing a bit more solid in there.

3. My antenna won't turn. I can get it to go up, but it's not turning. How hard should it be to turn? I've never used it before so it may just be rusted.

Suggestions from someone handier than me?
Old 03-28-2005, 01:51 PM   #2
aldebnj

For the antenna, did you pull down on the outer ring? You should be able to pull down on the ring (there are finger notches in mine) and then the antenna should rotate. Just make sure the two points are lined back up before collapsing the antenna.

Hope this helps.
Al
Old 03-28-2005, 03:41 PM   #3
Cobra500

A common problem with inactive propane grills involves insects building homes (webs) in the small gas jets and tubes that distribute gas to the burners. You may have to clean out the gas lines (long pipe cleaners work well...) to fix #2.

The furnace smell can be lots of things, including unburned gas which can be dangerous. Propane companies add a "stink chemical" into propane and other gases to help identify leaks.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:32 PM   #4
Seleya

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldebnj
For the antenna, did you pull down on the outer ring? You should be able to pull down on the ring (there are finger notches in mine) and then the antenna should rotate. Just make sure the two points are lined back up before collapsing the antenna.
Thanks, Al!

Yes, my antenna ring has notches too. I pull it down and it doesn't turn. I was worried about not doing it right, but I guess I was. I'll try jiggling it more and see if I can get it to budge. Maybe some silicone spray topside?

Vicky
Old 03-28-2005, 07:39 PM   #5
Seleya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra500
A common problem with inactive propane grills involves insects building homes (webs) in the small gas jets and tubes that distribute gas to the burners. You may have to clean out the gas lines (long pipe cleaners work well...) to fix #2.
How do you get in there? I could barely get my hand in to clean what I did. Those tubes are tough to get at. It appears the burn plate (what is that thing called???) is screwed into the sidewalls and there's another screw at the rear. Those side screws are in a pretty tough space. Do I just poke the pipecleaner in all the holes along the long tube or should I try to get the tube off and get into it lengthwise.

If I take the oven apart to any extent, is it safe to use the stove?

Quote:
The furnace smell can be lots of things, including unburned gas which can be dangerous. Propane companies add a "stink chemical" into propane and other gases to help identify leaks.
It isn't "propane-y" smelling. I'm suspecting it's roasting rodent "gifts". If I remove the face plate, can I get into it enough to clean anything that might be in there?
Old 03-28-2005, 09:19 PM   #6
Windbreaker

Four words "High Pressure Compressed Air". Hey, it works on all my tech gear, why not your oven?
Old 03-29-2005, 06:50 AM   #7
Seleya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windbreaker
Four words "High Pressure Compressed Air". Hey, it works on all my tech gear, why not your oven?
Hey, thats an idea! I'll have to try that. I am leaving for GA in two days so I may have to put the repairs off until I get back tho. We're just going to use the stove top, crock pot and grill this time around and, if I'm lucky, maybe something will rattle free in the oven.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:52 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Re the rodent gifts in the gas burners. First, I heartily endorse Windy's suggestion to use compressed air. Hope it works, but if it doesn't, and you are faced with disassembling, then you ought to get the assembly diagrams. They are in the manuals that SHOULD have come with your trailer, but if they are not there, you can get them from the manufacturers' web sites. These at least tell you what piece is attached to which part, and what you should expect to see when you start taking them apart - not to mention how to get them together again!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:33 PM   #9
Seleya

Thanks to your help the furnace is now devoid of rodentia and the antenna is turning! (gotta watch Amazing Race, after all)

The oven, on the other hand, is still not lighting past the pilot. I'll have to attack it more after my trip.