TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #1
Williams6548

Default Rear visibility while towing

Hello all! This is our first post so bear with me. We just bought a 2007 3023 as an upgrade from our 2007 Flagstaff 227. I want to express my appreciation for this forum - it has been very helpful.

We're heading to the factory at the end of the month to get a tune-up which will include some camping on the way...hopefully without snow!

My question: I'm adjusting to towing from the Flagstaff and wondering if anyone has trouble seeing the trailing edge of the camper while towing. I haven't found a thread (could very easily be operator error) and wondering if anyone has stuck anything to the side like an Airtab or taller side marker to increase visibility.

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2014, 06:59 PM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Trailing edge? you mean the rear end of the TM? The TM is 7ft7in wide which is less than most conventional trailers. I might suggest you use extended towing mirrors to see the back end better. Could you see more of the Flagstaff in your mirror? On my Tundra, I don't use a towing mirror setup and maybe its my experience, but I don't really worry about seeing more than what is in the mirror. I know its back there, I know its length while turning and I keep track of who is behind me by drifting a little one side of the lane to another. Taller trucks are visible above the roof line.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Williams,

can you tell us what type of tow vehicle you will be using? Does it have side veiw mirrors for towing? My previous camper was a Palamino and I didn't need the tow mirrors, but had to upgrade to them once I got my TM.
I can see the back end now when towing.

Ev
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #4
Williams6548

I'm towing with a '03 Yukon XL. Sorry, by trailing edge I mean the back corner. The CIPA towing mirrors I have aren't extendable. I could see the right rear side marker light on the Flagstaff but can't see it on the TM and figure it has to be the angle of things. I've been doing what rvcycleguy suggested and drift to peak further behind. It may just be a comfort thing. My wife will be learning to tow on this one so I'm also looking to make things easier.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:15 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

You might want to review this thread

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=3658

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:03 AM   #6
TravlinOn

Williams
Our TM is a little longer than yours, and I often do not know what is directly behind me (at least for a short while). As Bill noted in his referenced link, I use the frequent glance at the mirrors method to keep aware of what is approaching me from the rear.

Additionally, I make use of both my TV's mirror and my extended mirror by setting them at different angles in order to see both along the side of my TM and back behind the trailing edge.

Additionally, I always look back as I am going around curves in the road.

In any case, I try not to change lanes until I do one of the above and know what's back there. If I don't know, I don't change. Simple.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:52 AM   #7
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

With my sienna van, I can see the rear side marker light with my CIPA 11960 extension mirror. I find it very difficult to back up if I can not see when the rear of the camper starts moving in one direction or the other.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #8
Williams6548

Thanks everyone for all the input. This is excellent and far more than I would have discovered on my own. I'll take some measurements and compare them to the trailer. Maybe it's time for wider mirrors and/or the rear facing camera. I'm surprised how affordable they are.

thanks again!